Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Christian
BrainMeta.com Forum > Philosophy, Truth, History, & Politics > Theology > Religions and Esoterism
AmbientSnowflake
This is NOT a Christian bash session. But if that's what you want to do then go right ahead.

This is an honest dialogue between a Christian, (my friend.) and a non-Christian, (myself.) I want to simply be known as a non-Christian because that is the perspective that I choose take in order that I can represent objectivity. And that is the stance I take when discussing philosophy, religion, ect.

Let me set it up. This entire post works under this premise: If the only way to reconcile relationships is through communication, then having a dialogue is essential to the matter.

The dialoge started a couple of months ago. My friend didn't want to use a message board for a respectable reason. And this is all that was saved. You are stating in the middle of a conversation. I think it was apropriate to let my friend have the last word.

First understand that I think the Church can be a good environment for people. Certainly none hold up to their ideals.

QUOTE (non-Christian)
The church has a double standard. They accept people insomuchas they promise to change. Then you have those people who want certain things changed, ie: homos, people who curse, drink, smoke... Those who have more "weight" in the church are held untouchable and their problems, whether it's a love for money or an interest in snuff, goes unchecked. That's the problem. You have to except people exactly as they are. They will change because of the environment. And if they are there long enough and those around them aren't trying to force the Gospel down their throat they will change. But it's different than what you would think. They are the same person they've always been and then, all of a sudden, you see it. It's so subtle that they might not even recognize it. I've seen it. And I've seen people leave the church because they are being forced to change. I've also seen people forced to change by the church. It's sickening and wrong. You can't fit people into a box and say, "this is how it is, have faith and it'll all be better later." It's violent. They do it on their own or they don't do it at all. If it's an individuals relationship with God it should be an individuals decision to follow Christ.

QUOTE (Christian)
Becoming part of the church is a sign of change. It's saying you are a living sacrifice - as a pure bride of Christ. When I would invite someone to church, I would want that person to experience Christ's love for them through the people in the Church and myself. I am made new in Christ. Jesus accepted me as I was, but He did away with my old carnel, fleshly nature. We believe in the Holy Spirit to show us change and Truth. I can give my testimony. But a person doesn't believe unless he not only is revealed God's love but it transforms their life. You chose to let God's love transform your life. He always is revealing himself in all his wonders. He's a God of living. You are made spotless before God by the blood of His son. If there is anything I can do for you let me know.

QUOTE (non-Christian)
Other than saying that people in churches aren't perfect you didn't respond to my last letter. It's like we're eating a bowl of chicken noodle soup. I am trying to eat the noddles and you are skimming the broth. You should really engage this. Do you understand how people hold a double standard? One man sins by forcing the other to change his ways, while the other is looking for a safe place because his life is chaotic, and he actually needs help. Change happens. But if you're going to have faith about it then you should let God enter their life. There have been a couple of times when I have ministered to someone's life and gave them the peace of God. But most of the time I just told them God was watching them squirm.

Would you want to move this discussion onto a message board? There is one that I enjoy posting on called mind-brain.com. There are some Christians on there, and there are some people with other religious affiliations. Other perspectives in this conversation would be very interesting.

QUOTE (Christian)
My point here is not to argue, so I won't. I agree that the church has elements of the world in it. But it also has true beacons of light. You have to find a church for yourself that is balanced and lives according to the Spirit. God sees all that is unseen. We all wrestle with our fleshly nature. God's grace is unconditional, but it is that Grace that transforms our minds and our hearts to keep persuing a holy life: to be Christ like. The Bible warns beleivers not to be evenly yoked with unbelievers and to watch out for false teachers, which is another strong cancer of the Church. The environment changes us as much as we blame the environment for our actions, leaving no room for accoutablity. Let the Spirit guide you and show you Truth, and things you've never seen. One more thing, having faith in God is a utilitarian formula, but not of tangible earthly, things or feelings or emotions. Its about building a relationship with God, we can see His glory only by focusing on Christ. Christ ordered us to take up our cross daily. If I am not willing to die for my beliefs, then my persuit is vanity. My faith in God, shows me how trite things on earth really are. God loves you so much. His hands are always out stretched towards you. God is so Holy. He sacrificed His Son, so that you and I could be spotless and seen before Him.

QUOTE (Christian)
"The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are chocked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by preservering, produce a crop."
Joey, I would be happy to help you in any way I can. But I will not conduct myself in talk that does not edify the church or myself. I conduct myself in the way I fell the Spirit leads. I've known you for a long time and there's a peace that can heal, fill all yourlonging, misunderstanding, and heart break.

QUOTE (Christian)
I don't care if you post my responses. I will not contribute to the message board, however. This peace that passes all understanding only comes from the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I'm glad you're putting God to the test. Just be willing to receive the Holy Spirit. New wine can not be poured into old wine skins. God is constantly at work, revealing Himself. Rejoice for your sufferings! The creator of the universe knows each of us deeply and intimately and wants to have personal relationship with all of us. It's a beautiful letdown. It truly is amazing to find out how God is just waiting on us. We don't have to do it alone. He is there. We don't have to look at anything but Jesus to see the Glory of God. These promptings kind of start of as an epiphany, but then we have to indulge ourselves in the Word, or these revelations just continue to be cyclical struggles.

QUOTE (Christian)
God loves us so much. If He reveils His will that we
are to marry someone, being a true loving God he would
give us the choice if we wanted to accept what He was
telling us. Don't be angry at God if Leslie did not
want to marry you. God is real. Don't be confused by
what happens on Earth, look to the Word for courage.
Unknown
that metaphysical option above covers wide territory. I guess that's where I'm at, and yet I'm hesitant to vote for it because it can mean so many different things.
AmbientSnowflake
QUOTE (Unknown @ May 16, 05:40 PM)
that metaphysical option above covers wide territory. I guess that's where I'm at, and yet I'm hesitant to vote for it because it can mean so many different things.

You're right. But I didn't have enough room to put "Kantian," "Nietzschian," and so on. I also didn't assume that there would be many people that were well versed in any particular philospher to claim metaphysic. So, in turn, I went ahead and made it more generalized. More or less the focus of the post is on Christianity and not metaphysical belief systems. Although, I would have loved to have made an "other" category, but was limited to 10 options.
nouse4aname84
Could you tell me what exactly you meant by "First understand that I think the Church can be a good environment for people. Certainly none hold up to their ideals."
AmbientSnowflake
QUOTE (nouse4aname84 @ May 16, 03:49 PM)
Could you tell me what exactly you meant by "First understand that I think the Church can be a good environment for people. Certainly none hold up to their ideals."

There are a couple ways to talk about the Church. When I speak of "Church" (capital "C") I mean the Church in it's universal sense. The Church that believes in Jesus Christ as the son of God. When I refer to a church (lower case "c") I refer to a particular church, my church, your church, someone's church.

With that said I will answer your question. The Church in its ideal form should, and is a place for humanity to thrive, helping one another in times of trouble. When I say "ideal" I mean "in it's purest form." The Church is tainted because of humanity's involvement and therefore cannot hold up to an ideal. But this is not a problem. All human involvement with God is flawed, and the Church still strives for perfection, ideally.

The Church can and should be a "conduit" by which grace is bestowed upon the lives of individuals. God's love should flow from God and into the Church. As God gives grace to his people, they turn to those people who are non-Christian. Christians give this grace to them asking for nothing in return, and expecting nothing.

And if a church becomes this "conduit of grace" they create an environment in which God's love can be felt. This is the good environment I speak of. This is why I want to go to Church. It helps nurture the lives of God's people.
Unknown
how about mystical as an option?
AmbientSnowflake
QUOTE (Unknown @ May 17, 01:19 PM)
how about mystical as an option?

There are a lot of Christian mystics. Personally I apose such beliefs. Creationism vs. Evolution. A mystic Christian wouldn't have a big problem choosing creationism. Mysticism reaches too far into the unknowable. If one is a non-Christian mystic then faith claims can be based on nothing but unprovable evidence. For myself, mysticism is that which is believed by faith alone. When a Christian uses mysticism then you're fighting an uphill battle if you ever want to explain yourself. The end result usually is, "Just because it is." Many times mysticism is defined by experience. Now, if I was a mystic I'd hold faith claims rooted in tradition.

If you're asking why I didn't make that part of the pole, it's because I didn't consider mysticism as a noteable mark. The poll was really directed toward tradition. I would have liked to add, "God is real, but God is only who I say God is and no more." This douses faith with experience, and individualism.
Rune
The posts you have included from your Christian friend demonstrate clearly why I find so much of the dogma and belief system utterly repugnant. Firstly there's the tone; there's a smugness, a patronising attitude about it which, had I been on the receiving end, I would have found very irritating. But this attitude is not confined to Christians; it seems to apply to the "True Believers" in all the major religions.
I perceive the Bible as a collection of myths, with neither more nor less veracity than the stories of Greek, Roman, Norse, Indian etc. pantheons. I don't like the concept of a purely male deity as creator of the universe; nor can i accept this omniscient being as my 'Father". If the god described is so loving, why on earth would he sacrifice his 'only begotten son' - and why does he continue to sacrifice so many human beings? But more importantly, why do we need this sacrifice? If we are children of god, then he created us to be human, fallible; and to have a fleshly nature, not to be christ-like. Why would you want to be 'a living sacrifice, a pure bride of Christ'. Should you not rather enjoy all aspects of your humanity, provided, of course, that you harm none?
All religions are about power and control by a male hierarchy. All religions have a nasty history of war and conquest. Logic and objectivity are the enemies of belief systems, be they religious, social or political. Which, no doubt, is why politicians and churchmen alike thrive on an ignorant uneducated populace.
AmbientSnowflake
But more importantly, why do we need this sacrifice?

Jesus as a sacrifice for humanity's sins is a theory to explain the death of Jesus. There is a deeper story within Jesus' life. His philosophies are not that of a controlling factor. In fact, as you watch Jesus go willingly to the cross he submits with purely passivistic actions. He had no power.

Those who have, and do, use the common beliefs of the masses for control have nothing to do with Jesus. Those who have used Jesus as an icon to control any number of people do not see the significance of Jesus as a powerless man who sticks his neck out for the weak, the misfortunately, and marginalized.

Logic and objectivity gets one closer to 'truth.' Religion and belief systems gets one closer to 'meaning.'
Robert the Bruce
See John 10:34.
Unknown
QUOTE (AmbientSnowflake @ May 28, 09:15 PM)
[Jesus] submits with purely passivistic actions. He had no power.

So you're saying that passivity and the lack of power are somehow "good" qualities?

Those who have used Jesus as an icon to control any number of people do not see the significance of Jesus as a powerless man who sticks his neck out for the weak, the misfortunately, and marginalized.

I don't see why not. Why can't someone appreciate that the "dumb" masses who worship the meek and gentle one who died on the cross "for our sins and the sins of all the world" (LOL!) also use that info to control them?

Look, if this is a value debate, and you're trying to pit powerless vs. power, and weakness vs. strength, there is no comparison. Those weak ones who complain that life is unfair and who invent an afterlife to punish those who have better lives than they do in this world are motivated by envy and seek to delude themselves and to justify their negation of this world. They will even justify it with the Jesus fairy tale, but also occasionally with eastern philosophical misunderstandings where they take indifference to the extreme to reside in Brahman in order to negate this world. The point is that those who retreat or otherwise reject this world (and try to justify it religiously) are weak and are not fit for life, nor worthy of life and power. So I say, let the turtles retreat to their shells to hide from life's challenges, but we should not forget that they are nothing more than turtles and despising nay-sayers of life, and that their nay-saying is a consequence of nothing more than their weakness. They do not believe in God's chosen because that would lead them to doubt that they had been chosen. Hence, these unchosen ones invent fictions of the wickedness of the chosen ones, and in general seek to invert values so that they somehow turn out on top and so that they can try to patch up their low self-esteem. You shall know them by their works. There is no way around this. You cannot misinterpret the Jesus tales to suit your fancy and to justify your weakness. You must shake off your weariness and rise up to the challenge of life and express all that is divine in you. Only then will you better understand what life is all about.

Unknown
QUOTE (AmbientSnowflake @ May 21, 07:36 PM)
If one is a non-Christian mystic then faith claims can be based on nothing but unprovable evidence. For myself, mysticism is that which is believed by faith alone. Many times mysticism is defined by experience. Now, if I was a mystic I'd hold faith claims rooted in tradition.

This douses faith with experience, and individualism.

The person who has not had mystical experiences will never understand the true mystic. Mysticism is not defined by any particular faith, as you say, but is used in relation to one who has mystical experiences. This is a key point that you seem to brush aside and choose rather to focus on faith. Hence, I conclude that you have never had mystical experiences and that you do not understand what mysticism is really about.

Get past your ego and your individuality, and then you may be in a position to better understand mysticism and to speak of it honestly.

QUOTE (Rune @ May 28, 09:13 AM)
Which, no doubt, is why politicians and churchmen alike thrive on an ignorant uneducated populace.

well that, and because experience has probably taught them that the ignorant masses can be perceived as a lot of pawns that can vote and donate money, and that are relatively easy to manipulate.
Unknown
QUOTE (Rune @ May 28, 09:13 AM)
If we are children of god, then he created us to be human, fallible; and to have a fleshly nature, not to be christ-like.

I disagree. If we are truly of God then we are to express that which is divine in us; we are to be God-like.
AmbientSnowflake
QUOTE (Unknown @ May 29, 09:07 AM)
The person who has not had mystical experiences will never understand the true mystic.    Mysticism is not defined by any particular faith, as you say, but is used in relation to one who has mystical experiences.  This is a key point that you seem to brush aside and choose rather to focus on faith.  Hence, I conclude that you have never had mystical experiences and that you do not understand what mysticism is really about.

Get past your ego and your individuality, and then you may be in a position to better understand mysticism and to speak of it honestly.

I don't doubt that one can have mystical experiences. The problem with mystical experiences is that they are relative to the situation and can not be proven. Many spiritual experiences are brought on by chemical reactions in the brain. This does not make them any less real. The mystical experience, if experienced by a group of individuals, can be a bonding of sorts that can strengthen a community, i.e.: a church, youth group, budhist monostary.

Mystical experience can occur. But since it is caught by individuals, or an individual, it is restricted to use within the lives of those involved.

I have had mystical experiences. And I have resolved for myself what really happened in those situations. Although I have rationalized them as experiences based false premises, and a certain perspective on what was going on, the meaning of the experience did not change as much. I still see the meaning that occured as life changing. Certainly I can't say otherwise because I did change to an extent.

Whether or not you think I have had mystical experiences is irrelavant to the conversation. Without the ability to prove through a varifiable source that a mystical experience has happened or is happening one is left only with the 'meaning' of the experience. And meaning is what religion is really about. There isn't much 'truth' in it even though people want to believe there is.

Which, no doubt, is why politicians and churchmen alike thrive on an ignorant uneducated populace.

well that, and because experience has probably taught them that the ignorant masses can be perceived as a lot of pawns that can vote and donate money, and that are relatively easy to manipulate.

Many times the masses would rather be minipulated if it gives them the peace of mind that someone or something is in control of everything. Religion creates security for those within the community.
Rune
Some 20 years or so ago, Oxford University queried 3000 people on whether or not they had ever had a mystical experience. An amazing 72% said they had; most had never talked about or discussed it with others, thinking that they would be perceived as being slightly off their rocker.
The subjects were evenly divided between Town and Gown (workers and students), the sexes, various ethnicities and religions. It was noticable that the respondents saw what they expected to see; i.e., Christians saw Christ, Muslims saw Allah. Although I was baptised, confirmed and married in the Anglican church, my own experience (which predated the Oxford enquiry by 10 years or so) had no anthropomorphic connotations, rather a sense of Absolute Power, continuing Its work of creation throughout Infinity and Eternity. Certainly, this was a life-changing event for me, but does not, I feel, invalidate the experience of others. Later research into comparative religions showed me that Taoism most closely approximates what I experienced, whereas organised monotheistic religions are too limited in their interpretation of deity.
Oh, I'd better add that I have never ingested a hallucinogenic drug in my life - and that includes alcohol.
AmbientSnowflake
I think the beliefs expressed in American churches is an outward way of how they want Americans to behave. They talk of converting others, which in turn, the converted become converters themselves. I'd say these are the highly committed individuals in Church.

If they would see that seperation of Church and State is necessary, Christians might realize that there is a dividing marker between the Christian world, and the secular. We are more than what we believe. The point of contact between outside the walls of the Church doesn't have to be pinned on the Christian community. Christians don't have to tell everyone what they believe so that they can give them some fabulously new idea, a salvation of sorts. They should be satisfied with what they have, which is each other.

If God is what they Christians say God is, then God would prefer if they would reach out, not to the cool kids in the high schools, not to rich people who can fund them for so called moral duties, (mission trips to Mexico,) but the people who have nothing.

I was at a Christmas party at a church in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. We were a bunch of white people, all middle class. The Christmas party was for these black children whose fathers were in prison. That's what I'm F**KING talking about! The salt of the earth, they really are what Jesus was talking about; the widows, the orphans, the imprisoned, sick, crippled. Now they're single mothers, and teenagers who have never felt love, about loving the marginalized by society, the trash we throw away because it's not pretty. Bullshit!

In order to fight a war the enemy must be dehumanized, or demonized. The opposing civilization must be seen as subhuman in order to attack. The American Indians were called savages. During the Second World War, German culture in America was suppressed. Unless you read a history book you'll never know that German Americans were very promonent in the American culture. Popular American patriotism destroyed it. They were a good peoples with good values in business, family, etc.

Society dehumanizes these lower classes. Christians should give them dignity again, give them something, a life worth living. That is Christian.

I'm an exile. I loved the Church, still do. I'm passionate about it. But I smoke. I don't believe there is a God. Who will let me be a part without my submitting to their violent attempts to make me into something other than I am?
Lao_Tzu
QUOTE(AmbientSnowflake @ Aug 09, 03:28 AM) *

Who will let me be a part without my submitting to their violent attempts to make me into something other than I am?

The Buddhists, perhaps...?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am