Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Voice of God
BrainMeta.com Forum > Philosophy, Truth, History, & Politics > Theology > Religions and Esoterism
Laz
What is the voice of god?

I think i have had a number of experiences that I would say constitute the experience of hearing god, but they are not what i expected them to be.

I have the view of the voice that has been given to me from books, music, films, friends, etc. which is that of a booming deep voice speaking to me from the clouds and resonating around my head, it's something so loud that you cannot fail to hear it, it's a terrifying experience and one that leaves one in awe of god.

This is not what I have experienced though, I feel this view is a mighty big metaphor, a lie if you prefer that enables preachers of whatever kind to get their message across. Instead I have experienced a mental whisper, something so small, so quiet, and so peaceful that if you were not looking for it you would not hear it. to hear is actually too strong a word even, hearing is to use your ears and this is an internal voice, something that speaks directly to your brain, you feel it more than hear it. As far as the awe part goes, it does leave you in awe, but not of this hairy creature in the sky, but in awe of yourself and of the power contained within.

What do I mean by this, well it's tricky to describe... I don't really have a view of what god is, it's something indescribable to me; something that is very impersonal and yet so very near to me, its shapeless and without form. Many religions actually support this view as the right one but i just feel that i don't understand enough about it yet. God seems to me to be an ultimate truth coupled with a realisation that this affects me and means something deep down in me, it's almost intangable, something that can change your perspective of life for life.

Where does the voice of god come from?

It comes from any situation and any source, it's like something that's connected at a fundamental level but on the surface it looks like nothing. The voice could come from a passage of a religious/non-religious text, a piece of music, a particular lyric in a song, a picture that you see, a comment that somebody makes, an action that you take in your life, a connection that you make in your thoughts between two previously unrelated things. When it happens though you certainly know about it's like a little magic spark, something to live for, something to remember, something that make you want to look for more.

The indescribable force that Carlos speaks of seems to match with my idea of the voice of God very well, could the two be the same I wonder?
the voice of God? Who knows where it comes from. Maybe your conscience, if such a beast exists. Be thankful you're not hearing the voices of gods because that may be cause for concern.
Joesus
I had an idea that was followed by wonder once...user posted image
Laz
Once bitten twice shy eh Joe?
Joesus
Evolution of conscious awareness.
Thoughts come and go but the absolute remains still and everpresent.
Gods voice is not a thought or a wonder anymore but a stable part of my reality.
Laz
Gods voice is not a thought or a wonder anymore but a stable part of my reality

Can you explain further Joe, i'm interested in understanding if I am anywhere near the mark on this. Does my experience correlate with yours?
Joesus
What do you know?
I've pushed you before and you have not met me where I know you can go yet.
Laz
All I know about the voice of god is written above, are you prepared to put the effort in to write something similar?
Joesus
No not really.
Laz
figured as much! maybe some other time we can discuss this wink.gif
Joesus
We have been and are discussing this.
Dan
can the phrase world's biggest douche be applied at this point? rolleyes.gif
Joesus
Are you volunteering to play the part?
Dan
I'll take that as a yes
Laz
Are my experiences common among visiters to this site or am I a looney who needs locking away?

It's funny to me that these out on a limb topics get very few corroborative posts, just rhetoric, abuse, and arguments!

Maybe i've answered my question in the question and I should crawl back from whence I came wink.gif
Are my experiences common among visiters to this site or am I a looney who needs locking away?

you're talking about hearing voices or the Voice of God or some other experience? Many ppl hear their own voice but only if you identify your own self as God or a part of God would you hear the voice of God as your own. To hear the Voice of God as not your own may be grounds for being locked away, but some may say that hearing the Voice of God at all implies insanity. Who knows? Why accept other ppl's standards and judgements when the most important ones are your own?
Joesus
Actually your experiences are quite common, Laz.
The ego and the intellect often project their best interpretations into the experience when the point of reference is the databank of past experiences and intellectual definitions of a programmed democratic reality.
Without some point of authority any experience is always subject to personal interpretation.
Any personal interpretation weighed against an external authority then becomes the property of the authority when it is no longer personal.
How do you wish to live your life Laz. Who would have the ultimate authority? You and your best interpretation, the person or reference material you make your comparison to, or some higher authority, and how would you determine the best choice, and does it matter?
user posted image
Dan
there is only One

everything heard is but an echo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am