Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Propranolol
BrainMeta.com Forum > Enhancing Consciousness and Cognition > Expanding Consciousness > Nootropics
Homer J. Simpson
Does anyone know if this is a good smart drug for improving learning , concentration performance ?

In according to the UN website :
Propranolol is a non-selective beta blocker, that is, it blocks the action of adrenaline on both beta1- and beta2-adrenergic receptors. It has little intrinsic sympathomimetic activity (ISA) but has strong membrane stabilizing activity. This helps block excessive release of Adrenaline that can occur when an individual encounters a situation that makes him or her nervous or fearful. Propranolol thus helps the individual to stay calm and in control of the situation.

: Boosts SAT scores up to 130 points

: Raises cognitive flexibility

Can have any indesiderate side effects on short/long time usage ??
LifeMirage
QUOTE(Homer J. Simpson @ Jun 12, 2007, 06:27 AM) *
Does anyone know if this is a good smart drug for improving learning , concentration performance ?

In according to the UN website :
Propranolol is a non-selective beta blocker, that is, it blocks the action of adrenaline on both beta1- and beta2-adrenergic receptors. It has little intrinsic sympathomimetic activity (ISA) but has strong membrane stabilizing activity. This helps block excessive release of Adrenaline that can occur when an individual encounters a situation that makes him or her nervous or fearful. Propranolol thus helps the individual to stay calm and in control of the situation.

: Boosts SAT scores up to 130 points

: Raises cognitive flexibility

Can have any indesiderate side effects on short/long time usage ??

Propranolol is a very potent drug with many possible interactions. I would not recommend it as a "nootropic" although it may benefit some people for short term use with adrenaline impaired cognition.
lucid_dream
I do not believe Propranolol would make a good nootropic. Adrenergic agonists tend to enhance vigilance and alertness, and Propanolol, being a beta adrenergic blocker, would likely tend to do just the opposite, unless the person is suffering from being overly-anxious to begin with.
moorpheus
If you pay attention to your dosage and keep it low, there shouldn't be bad side effects. I used it for auditions to calm me. What it does is interfere with the adrenalin response ... fight or flight. So, it will cut down your panic. It is touted as a Smart Drug by CERI and Morgenthaler et al. I would test your response before taking any test on it.

No drug will boost your scores. Your knowledge and confidence will.

LifeMirage
QUOTE(moorpheus @ Dec 29, 2007, 05:53 PM) *
If you pay attention to your dosage and keep it low, there shouldn't be bad side effects. I used it for auditions to calm me. What it does is interfere with the adrenalin response ... fight or flight. So, it will cut down your panic. It is touted as a Smart Drug by CERI and Morgenthaler et al. I would test your response before taking any test on it.

No drug will boost your scores. Your knowledge and confidence will.

Propranolol has been shown to increase SAT scores in healthy young adults.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am