Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: US spammer fined $10m
BrainMeta.com Forum > Networks & the Internet > Internet, E-mail, & Computers
An American man who led one of the world's largest spamming operations has agreed to pay $10m in fines, officials in the US state of Texas said on Thursday.

Ryan Pitylak, 24, and his partners Mark Trotter, Gary Trappler and Alan Refaeli bombarded consumers with millions of emails under at least 250 assumed names, said Greg Abbott, the Texas attorney general.

"This crackdown effectively shuts down one of the worst spam operators and sends a warning to others who would engage in spam emailing for profit," Abbot added.

In a separate settlement with software company Microsoft, Pitylak agreed to a fine of $1 million dollars and promised never again to send false, misleading or unsolicited commercial emails.

'Learning experience'

The former student, at one point considered the world's fourth worst spammer, sent emails advertising low-cost mortgages, extended auto warranties and debt-counseling services, among other offers.

He received $3 to $7 for every lead he generated when someone clicked on links in his messages.

In an interview with a Texas newspaper after the settlement, he claimed to have turned against spamming.

"This has been a real good learning experience for me," he told the San Antonio Express.

"The settlement has been a bit harsh but I'm happy to move on with my life."
Rick
I suppose "move on" for him means take his ill-gotten millions and find out how not to get caught in the future.
Culture
QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 14, 08:41 AM) *

An American man who led one of the world's largest spamming operations has agreed to pay $10m in fines, officials in the US state of Texas said on Thursday.

Ryan Pitylak, 24, and his partners Mark Trotter, Gary Trappler and Alan Refaeli bombarded consumers with millions of emails under at least 250 assumed names, said Greg Abbott, the Texas attorney general.

"This crackdown effectively shuts down one of the worst spam operators and sends a warning to others who would engage in spam emailing for profit," Abbot added.

In a separate settlement with software company Microsoft, Pitylak agreed to a fine of $1 million dollars and promised never again to send false, misleading or unsolicited commercial emails.

'Learning experience'

The former student, at one point considered the world's fourth worst spammer, sent emails advertising low-cost mortgages, extended auto warranties and debt-counseling services, among other offers.

He received $3 to $7 for every lead he generated when someone clicked on links in his messages.

In an interview with a Texas newspaper after the settlement, he claimed to have turned against spamming.

"This has been a real good learning experience for me," he told the San Antonio Express.

"The settlement has been a bit harsh but I'm happy to move on with my life."

QUOTE(Rick @ Jun 14, 10:06 AM) *

I suppose "move on" for him means take his ill-gotten millions and find out how not to get caught in the future.

Many Security Adminstrators are excited about this and are slowly starting to see results for hard-work and a whatever-it-takes attitude. This fine will not be the last of the payouts Ryan will have to make. A strong collaboration with countries who in the past were quite spam friendly have stard feeling the heat from their corporate clients when ALL traffic from the country was simply stopped,

A light at the end of the tunnel thanks to elliptical encryption advances.
maximus242
5-7 bucks a piece? hmm.. LOL just kidding
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am