Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A small bug'ette
BrainMeta.com Forum > Feedback, Announcements & FAQ > Feedback & Suggestions
Laz
Hi Shawn,

Its cool that the board adjusts the time to your locale now, but i have noticed that the Today marker for recent changes doesn't work off of this same time, so when I log in the latest changes are usually ones from the day before.

Do you know if there is a way to fix this?

Like i said in the title, this is no biggy so don't don't lose any sleep wink.gif

Thanks
Shawn
Do you know if there is a way to fix this?

hi Laz. It's an excellent request. I'll look into it later today or this weekend. It's not a trivial thing to fix, though, because the time in the upper right is javascript, which is browser-side scripting (and your browser knows your local time), whereas the 'Today' on the main forum page is produced by php, which is server-side scripting (and the server doesn't know your local time unless you tell it the time offset, which I think it should already know, but I'll look into this more). I won't guarantee that it can be fixed(though I see no reason why some solution can't be devised), but I'll give it a good go, hopefully later today.

thanks for being so observant. ( I didn't think anyone would notice the time offset discrepancy that you did smile.gif )

take care,
Shawn
Laz
I feel kinda silly now, like the sad programmer geek inside me has spoken out of turn!

Down boy, damn you get down, and stay repressed wink.gif
Shawn
no, don't repress the programmer geek inside. Release him, let him speak!

Looking over your post again, Laz, I see you meant something slightly different.
i have noticed that the Today marker for recent changes doesn't work off of this same (local) time

Assuming posters entered in their correct time offset (on their profiles), then it would be possible to do what you're asking for in php. It would involve a straightforward computation of the difference between time offsets between your local time and the posters local time (to derive the posting time in terms of your local time). It's a really good idea. I will see about doing this today or tomorrow.

thanks.

rhymer
Should we all possibly take time out today and spend a minute or two to allow a second opinion of hour week and minute details? LOL

I love bug'ette !!
This is a 'pearler' and should become a new word in every dictionary!
Let's be bold and use bugette !!
Definition - a bug in software which should ideally be corrected, but which is not so important that it should be considered as critical to operational performance; viz., a low priority indication of a needed change.

Everything created by humans, breeds these venomous creatures. Even the modification is likely to contain even more of the beasts! It is a thankless task, and still worth hammering to death.

Where does the word come from?
I'm bugette if I know; but Laz will get all the glory!

Best regards, Bill.
Tabitha
LOL! I too love bug'ette. :-) Should we start an email campaign to m-w.com to get it added? ;-)
rhymer
I've had a look at Google and it appears 'bugette' is used quite frequently already!
Laz
I believe it is a common software testing term, that's where i got it wink.gif
Shawn
QUOTE (Shawn @ Jan 23, 08:05 AM)
no, don't repress the programmer geek inside.  Release him, let him speak!

Looking over your post again, Laz, I see you meant something slightly different.
i have noticed that the Today marker for recent changes doesn't work off of this same (local) time

Assuming posters entered in their correct time offset (on their profiles), then it would be possible to do what you're asking for in php. It would involve a straightforward computation of the difference between time offsets between your local time and the posters local time (to derive the posting time in terms of your local time). It's a really good idea. I will see about doing this today or tomorrow.

thanks.

Well, so much for good intentions! ok, I will see about doing it this weekend. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am