Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question About Hua Hu Ching
BrainMeta.com Forum > Feedback, Announcements & FAQ > Feedback & Suggestions
river
-Shawn-

This book is extreemly intriguing to me. Because my favorite book has been Tao Te Ching for a long time. Did Lao Tzu actually wright Hua Hu Ching, or is the author a mystery? Either way it's a good book. I once read that it is not even known if Lao Tzu ever existed, and that the author of Tao Te Ching made him up, not that we can ever truely verify any of this, of corse. I know your probably not a history teacher but, if you could direct me towards any information that deals with Hua Hu Ching, it's author, or, and especially, any other books written by Lao Tzu, I would be eternally greatful.

Also, I respect and enjoy your work on this site, although I don't know much about Neuroscience, it sounds fascinating.

I look forward to your reply.

~River~

Shawn
hello River,

thank you for the feedback. I'm glad that you enjoy the site, and Neuroscience, well, this is something to keep an eye on.... it's my opinion that the field of Neuroscience is in a state comparable to what Physics was in during the late 19th century before the revolutions brought about by the births of (Special and General) Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. The field of Neuroscience is ripe for such revolutions, I think, in the near future.

About the Hua Hu Ching, this is a really fascinating work (I liked it considerably better than the Tao te Ching). I actually have a soft-cover of it, which has a short preface that is not included on the web version here. So, it's probably easiest and best to just excerpt from the preface to give you some idea of the context and background of the Hua Hu Ching:

"The Tao te Ching of Lao Tzu is among the most widely translated and cherished books in the world. Singular in its lucidity, revered across cultural boundaries for its timeless wisdom, it is believed among Westerners to be Lao Tzu's only book. Few are aware that a collection of his oral teachings on the subject of attaining enlightenment and mastery were also recorded in a book called the Hua Hu Ching (pronounced "wha hoo jing").

The teachings of the Hua Hu Ching are of enormous power and consequence , a literal road map to the divine realm for ordinary human beings. Perhaps predictably, the book was banned during a period of political discord in China, and all copies were ordered to be burned. Were it not for the Taoist tradition of oral transmission of sacred scriptures from master to student, they would have been lost forever. I am permanently indebted to Taoist Master Ni Hua-Ching for sharing his version of these teachings with the Western world after his emigration from China in 1976. My work here is largely based upon his teaching."

~Brian Walker, 1993

river
-Shawn-

Thanks Shawn. You know, I think I'm going to buy that book very soon. I can't believe that I've never heard of it before. A fascinating exerpt I think.

And right now, I think I am going to read some Neuroscience material. I really hope that your right about neuroscience, and I hope i'm around to whitness it in the future.

Thank you again.

Shawn
your welcome, River. smile.gif

About the future of Neuroscience and upcoming revolutions and paradigm shifts, this is something I feel very confident about. It seems to me that the field of Neuroscience is currently a latent giant just waiting to wake up. With the increasing technological advances, as well as with increasingly more attention being turned towards Neuroscience, in part due to the growing number of people worldwide realizing the incredible potentials contained therein, it's inevitable that something big is going to happen soon. Also, my confidence in the future of Neuroscience stems from the fact that this is where my will is directed....

....Here is something you might find interesting: http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20030922/05 . This is an ambitious project recently set in motion by Paul Allen, the third richest man in America.... I think good things could come from this project, things that we will see materialize within the next 2-3 yrs.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am