Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BrainMeta Monthly?
BrainMeta.com Forum > Feedback, Announcements & FAQ > Feedback & Suggestions
maximus242
I was thinking, how can we take a variety of discussions we talk about on the forum and make them readable for everyone on the internet? A monthly ezine of course! I was thinking what if we got people to contribute articles related to the topics of the forum and then made it available for download on the website? It wouldnt have to be big, just whatever people contributed. It could be religious, philosophical, scientific, whatever someone wanted to write about.

Its an idea that sort of just popped into my head, so I figured id post it, tell me your thoughts on this.
Hey Hey
A sort of Brainzine! Well I'd read it. But then, I'll read anything. Who'll edit it?
maximus242
Indeed, it will be a magazine for the brain ^^

If no one else wants to, I will, though im not that picky when it comes to proper grammar. Another possibility is we could change editors every month to keep things intresting. That way there wont be a bias towards one view.

Also, besides having articles we can have a summary of whats going on in the fields of science. Like you know how you and Trip post news info all the time? Well we could put some of that in their too.
Shawn
This is potentially a good idea, Max, but I have some reservations. It would mean setting up an email server, a mailing list, and producing monthly newsletters, which may be a problem to maintain. It's more feasible to produce monthly publications without emailing. Or to set-up a wiki where many users can contribute to each monthly newsletter. However, I'm sceptical that this would work, in the sense of it being read by many people. An alternative would be to try consolidating many of the insights that people have posted here, and to organize them topically. Something like a wiki might be a useful medium, however, I have seem many forums produce wiki spin-offs that fared poorly, and so the wiki route is probably not best. Which means that editors would have to write up the content. There is the issue of integrating this content into the website, which may be done through direct links on the main page, and supplemented with a better and more imaginative way yet to be determined.

What are your thoughts on consolidating many of the insights made in the forum, and organizing them topically? It would, in essence, be a distillation of insights that are spread diffusely throughout the forum.
maximus242
Indeed, I was thinking more along those lines rather than an email server. My intial thoughts were to simply compile and organize the topics discussed on BrainMeta for the past month and produce them in a more easy to read format. I was thinking just type it up and turn it into a pdf, then let whoever wanted to read it, download it. Blogs I find are hard to navigate and are not really 'brainmetaish' they are more for individuals looking to talk about themselves.

I was thinking of it like this. Scan the forum for topics, that can be the base of whats used in it. Then have people who want to write something in the ezine, simply send in their article. After that the rest can be a summary of whats been going on in the scientific world for the past month. So essentially news, articles and a summary of brainmeta.

It could also just be done in pure text in a forum section. I mean so many people just use the forum anyways, the easiest way could be just providing it on the forum, like a regular topic.
Shawn
oops, I meant 'wiki' instead of 'blog' in my post above. I don't know what I was thinking. I made the edits above.

Are you suggesting having a separate board for monthly ezines? This might be interesting. It's separate from the idea of distilling insights spread throughout the forum and organized topically, though the two ideas are certainly not mutually exclusive.
maximus242
Yes, Im suggesting having a seperate board for Ezines. It could be a really good tool for someone who is new to brainmeta and for the people who go away for a few months and then come back. They could be like trip and be busy writing a thesis and have no time for anything else. That way he can still find out whats going on at brainmeta without sifting through the thousands of topics.

We could organize the Ezine topically? Prehaps having highlights from whats occured in each section over the past month? Insights are always good, though sometimes I find them difficult to convey.
Hey Hey
Of course a blog could be used just to let people know the latest issue is available (via RSS) and they could download it from a link posted on the blog. You can have a blog without a reply/comment function.
Enki
QUOTE(maximus242 @ Mar 03, 2007, 03:32 PM) *

I was thinking, how can we take a variety of discussions we talk about on the forum and make them readable for everyone on the internet? A monthly ezine of course! I was thinking what if we got people to contribute articles related to the topics of the forum and then made it available for download on the website? It wouldnt have to be big, just whatever people contributed. It could be religious, philosophical, scientific, whatever someone wanted to write about.

Its an idea that sort of just popped into my head, so I figured id post it, tell me your thoughts on this.

Excellent idea Max (!!!), let us change the world.

I am ready to write anything.

Btw Shawn, you can sell some papers during downloading as well. Really. Good business you know. Besides you will help such forgotten persons like me to earn a little money by telling strange stories on internet.

Brain Meta can become new Mount Parnassus. wink.gif Can you imagine slogan The Oracle is Back! Very tempting idea.
Enki
As I see, the Commercial project does not have supporters. What a pity.
rhymer
QUOTE(Enki @ Mar 29, 2007, 08:29 PM) *

As I see, the Commercial project does not have supporters. What a pity.

Wait a while Enki, There's time for some flesh to get added to dem bones yet!!
Enki
Hope so, indeed Rhymer.
Hope so.
maximus242
Alright, time to get it rolling, anyone who want to submit an article can send it Via PM to me, maximus.

There are no restrictions to what you can write about. Here are some subjects to get the creative juices flowing, news of whats been going on in the science community lately, philosophical articles, poetry, theories, neuroscience, religion and all around anything that is 'brainmetaish'.
Enki
OK, Does PDF OK?
maximus242
It would be easier to just have it in text because I will be assembling it into a PDF anyways. Currently I am trying to get using an online editor which will allow multiple writers to add their articles to the magazine.

I thought I should post more information for those wanting to know more about it and for those who are thinking about writing an article.

The Theme for the May 1st Issue is The Consciousness Singularity. I thought there would be no better topic to start off with than what is prehaps the most talked about and widely known subject on BrainMeta.

There will be a theme for each magazine issue, for each theme, there will be several articles about the theme. However, the theme is not the only subject discussed in a issue, every issue will explore the diffrent topics discussed on BrainMeta. There will also be a news section, devoted to what is new in the scientific community. Currently, the topics planned for inclusion in Brain Meta Monthly are:

News
Theme
Science
-Neuroscience
-Cognitive Science/NooTropics
Consciousness
Philosophy
Theology
Poetry
Book Reviews

Also please make note that the science catagory is not limited to neuroscience and cognitive science, only that there will be an attempt to include at least one article on each of those subjects every month - due to the immense intrest of those topics. Poetry, may be included - depending on how the poets feel about it, this magazine is planned to be distributed from BrainMeta and can also be downloaded through PDF.

Q & A

When will the first issue be released? May 1st

Who can write an article? Everyone is allowed to write for Brain Meta Monthly, we generally try to stick to the topics talked about on BrainMeta but im always open to new ideas.

How do I submit and article? Through the PM system, you PM me - maximus242. I check my PM's more than my emails, although I will probably set up a seperate email for this magazine in the near future.

How do I get the newest issue when it comes out? Brain Meta Monthly will be made available through the BrainMeta website, a download mirror may also be set up for downloading the PDF version. I will also see about setting up a simple email server to have the newest issue sent every month but no promises on this one.

What are the size constraints for articles? Currently we have no exact measures to the sizes you can write - in the future we may have to give some general guidelines for formatting. BrainMeta is about freedom of mind so imposing restrictions on the length of an article is not very 'BrainMeta'.

When do I have to submit my article by? The deadline for articles is the 25th of each month, after this we will be finalizing and doing the formatting for the magazine.
Hey Hey
How to submit figures and other diagrammatical information? Via URL of other site?
maximus242
Im not quite sure what your asking Hey Hey? Do you need a FTP to upload files to?

Is this text or a file?

Hmm maybe we should do a wiki for each issue

I do have a goodle online editor running now, it allows multiple people to edit the same document, maybe this will work?
Hey Hey
Sorry for my unclear message. What I mean is how do we submit figures (e.g. jpg) to you as BM Ezine editor? For example, a document to submit might have a graph or a photograph. Above you mention submitting text files rather than pdfs. Text files can have no figures, but pdfs could. Therefore alongside text files you would need to accept graphics files. Which types? Also how/where to submit? Not possible through PMs. So must be emailed or a URL provided. Which preferred?
maximus242
Either works, I can give you a FTP account to a server I have, if you need a way to upload to the internet. Alright, pdf's are fine, Enkis going to be sending both to me anyways. I just dont know about unlocking the PDF and then assembling it as one document, thats my primary concern about PDF's.

You can email maximus242@gmail.com

Also, there are free image hosts that you can use to upload pics like photobucket.com and imageshack.us (no signup required). If your email is connected to google (you dont need a gmail address, you can sign up with any email) then I can have you collaborate with me on Google Documents and you can edit, format or change your article any way you like.

Google Documents doesnt allow much for formatting or Templates right now, I am going to see if I can use CSS to format it. If so then this will be easy to format online. Overall if you want to send me a PDF, send me a second version as well in word or something so I can access it. I looked into making a Wiki, seems like a big pain, you have to install software, set up a MySQL database and then go over various security functions to make sure your server doesnt get hacked.
rhymer
Would Tiddlywicki be os any use?

http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

It seems simple enough, it's free, it's fully indexed, and it could be made available to contributors either from a server or from a password protected off-line storage facility like MediaMax (25 Gigs free).

It needs a person more understanding than myself to decide (what about images and pdf's and version control?).
maximus242
Hmm, well google allows for uploading of images and word documents online and multiple people can edit it at the same time. Basically I just need to do is punch in a email address in google and it adds that account to the database of people allowed to edit the document. I will see if I can get it to allow people to edit in a easier way.

Update: It wont allow for editing unless you have a Google Account
Enki
Maybe some sort of MS Word Template should be used?

Let it look as a Scientific Paper

E.g.

Brain Meta Letters B 1, Issue 1, p. 37, 2007. ©

Key Words Impact on Scientific Progress

Enki Enki *

X St., Eridug PO UVW, Far Away Country
*) e-mail: ****

Looks like quite cute. Hm?
maximus242
It might work, if we are just doing diffrent typefaces then thats fairly simple to do.
Enki
Agree.
Enki
You know I start to feel a great potential in this project indeed.
Done with love it can really bring to world something really new.
maximus242
The Deadline for submission is in 4 Days
Enki
Dear Max,

I am sorry for not sending anything. I had some very serious problems with local barbarians here. I will gather something interesting and will send it for your consideration.

Sorry again for such serious failure.

Bests,

Enki
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am