Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I wanna give money!
BrainMeta.com Forum > Feedback, Announcements & FAQ > Feedback & Suggestions
Cybert
Specifically, towards the transhumanistic goals of this site. Will it ever carry ads? If it does, I will leave immediately. I'd rather it be funded by "rich master"/donations.
Culture
QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 13, 11:28 AM) *

Specifically, towards the transhumanistic goals of this site. Will it ever carry ads? If it does, I will leave immediately. I'd rather it be funded by "rich master"/donations.

Nice one Cybert! It has not carried ads thus far and I do not think that it will in the future.
What are your transhumanistic views?

Just read this last week

http://www.maxmore.com/disscont.htm

kortikal
Cybert, what would you propose using the money for?
Cybert
QUOTE(kortikal @ Sep 13, 08:20 PM) *

Cybert, what would you propose using the money for?

Server space. Anything. The singularity is so important that it doesn't even matter! Not that I want to give to charlatans. Singinst.org is above board from what I see, so give there.
Lindsay

Specifically, towards the transhumanistic goals of this site.
How much money do you have to give? I have one Canadian loonie, which I will give you for an honest answer to my question.laugh.gif
lucid_dream
QUOTE(Cybert @ Sep 13, 01:46 PM) *
Server space. Anything.

Server space is usually cheap or free, unless you're running a Google or a Yahoo! The only justification of money is for paying people to give seminars, but simply posting essays on the web is a free means of accomplishing the exact same thing, which is getting the message out to the public. In short, money is not needed. Brain power, motivation, and skillful execution are.

But who knows, maybe money would be good for something. If anyone can think of anything, I'd love to hear it. Maybe you could spend the money on nootropics for enhancing the brain power of people working towards making the singularity a reality. Or maybe it could be better spent.
Lindsay
QUOTE(lucid_dream @ Sep 13, 12:55 PM) *
...Server space. Anything....But who knows, maybe money would be good for something...
Meanwhile, how many of us, including me, really understand what money is? What is the nature, function and mystery of money?
Lindsay

Specifically, towards the transhumanistic goals of this site...
Please, what are transhumanistic goals?
Rick
How about the political goal of replacing the idiots currently in power in the USA? That will help to ensure the Earth's survival long enough for transhumanism to have a chance. The best way to accomplish that would be to give to the Democratic Party.

http://www.democrats.org/
code buttons
QUOTE(Rick @ Sep 13, 02:39 PM) *

How about the political goal of replacing the idiots currently in power in the USA? That will help to ensure the Earth's survival long enough for transhumanism to have a chance. The best way to accomplish that would be to give to the Democratic Party.

Talk about shallowness here, Rick! I think Cyber's ideals go a little bit beyond political parties here. Welcome, by the way, Cybert. Refreshing to have someone new onboard here at BM with kin interest on my favorite subject. Hope you can find lots of useful information on the subject here (there's a lot of that here if you do the research) and looking fordward to your contributions on the subject. If you look real close, you'll find that behind all the smoke and mirrors, BM is a trail blazer on the subject of CS (Concsiousness Singularity) at it's core.
Shawn
hi Cybert, I don't have time to reply much now, but will say that I added a page at http://brainmeta.com/index.php?p=donate if you're interested. If the money is not used for current BrainMeta maintainence, it will be set aside for that purpose. Currently, BrainMeta costs about $20 per year to run, but depending on server costs, that amount could potentially increase at some point. In any event, I appreciate the gesture and want to assure you that any donations will be used solely for BrainMeta costs and will be documented and publicly disclosed.
Rick
QUOTE(code buttons @ Sep 13, 03:57 PM) *
... ideals go a little bit beyond political parties here. ...

Let's be practical. If 43 starts WW3, and we're set back to the stone age, the technological singularity will be a lot longer in coming. Invest in the future by saving the world first.
code buttons
QUOTE(Rick @ Sep 13, 03:03 PM) *

Let's be practical. If 43 starts WW3, and we're set back to the stone age, the technological singularity will be a lot longer in coming. Invest in the future by saving the world first.

There won't be any peaceful future, whichever party wins or loses. How long would it take into the near future before some crazy scientis (and for "moral" reasons only he/she will understand) creates a super-bug that will wipe-out the whole of humanity? 50 years, 60 maybe? How about before one if the 300 thounsand or so massive metorites orbiting outside our solar system takes a pot-shot at us and pulverize us or cremate us the way one of them did the dinosours? There is no future there is no hope. I don't mean to sound apocalyptic here. This is just reality. I'm with Cybert as to the amazement that the subject of CS doesn't draw more attention from the general public.
Lindsay
QUOTE(Shawn @ Sep 13, 02:59 PM) *
...Currently, BrainMeta costs about $20 per year to run...

Only twenty dollars per year?
Shawn, are you serious?
I will gladly pay that, even if I have to spend more, in terms of Canadian.
OnlyNow
QUOTE(Lindsay @ Sep 13, 06:42 PM) *

...even if I have to spend more, in terms of Canadian.

:-D

I just saw that there are 5,474 members here, so if we all chip in, you won't have to worry about going into shock contemplating that insane U.S/Canadian exchange rate.

Rounding up, each of us needs to contribute .004ΒΆ

20 / 5,474 = 0.00365363537

Heck, I'm feeling generous. I'll put up a penny. And I'll be more than happy to do so every year.
Cybert
QUOTE(Rick @ Sep 13, 10:39 PM) *

No. We need to buckle down for the final run. "code buttons" has it right. Once we hit singularity, nothing else matters. Not some starving kid in Africa. We need to focus on this.
Shawn
I have made a minor update to the Donate page which is now also accessible from the 'Donate' link at the top of the page. If anyone has any questions, let me know.
Cybert
QUOTE(Shawn @ Sep 14, 02:35 AM) *

I have made a minor update to the Donate page which is now also accessible from the 'Donate' link at the top of the page. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Expect many multiples of your $20 due soon. I'm eating frozen food and drinking fountain water in your name!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright © BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am