Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brainmeta, I Wish I Knew How To Quit You.
BrainMeta.com Forum > Feedback, Announcements & FAQ > Feedback & Suggestions
OnlyNow
In poking around “My Controls,” I was astounded to see that adopting an "avatar" is almost as easy as purchasing a gun in Texas. As we all know, an avatar is the incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, the preserver of the universe. I personally wouldn’t dream of taking on such an enormous responsibility. Well, not at the present time, anyway. But that’s just me...

I know that many here do not suffer fools gladly. However, I’d really like to see a “BrainMeta for Dummies” section, where the forum Illuminati could enlighten and explain some of the deeper concepts with patience, plain English, and most of all, kindness. I don’t claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the folks here are brilliant, some are imposters, and the rest fall somewhere in between. In my opinion, if you can’t explain yourself in relatively simple terms, there’s a possibility that you don’t necessarily know what you’re talking about. (BTW, Lucid Dream is a shoo-in for the brilliant group, as is Ann, since they actually welcomed me in the “Introduce Yourself” section. Shawn also had me from hello, for self-evident reasons. The jury is out on the rest of you.)

I don’t have any respect for the gutless wonders out there who post anonymously. I myself am scared to death every time I press the post button, but I do it anyway--proudly using the name I was born with. Whenever I encounter a hatless post, I gloss over it without much of a desire to engage. Anyone else have this experience? Couldn’t we establish a grave for “The Unknown Poster” and put him to rest?

Is there a way to find out everyone who has me on their “ignored users list”? (You know who you are.) I’d like the opportunity to ignore them, too. It’s only fair.

I believe I’ll know that I’ve truly arrived in the BrainMeta community when I’m able to add and edit my personal photo. I live for the day that in place of the unexplained, “Sorry, the board administrator has not enabled your permissions for this part of the control panel,” I find, “You Go, Girl!” Even though I’m guessing that maintaining a personal photograph would be a snap for someone who could have nabbed the job of Universe Preserver the day she joined the forum, I’m sure "the board administrator" had his reasons. In a lot of ways, it’s probably a blessing that I can’t display my picture here.

In case you didn’t notice, I’m an insufferable smart aleck. It’s all in good fun. I do think the forum could benefit from a little lightening up.

Well, in case you didn't know, I am the 'unknown' that you so heartlessly attact. And I'm proud of it. I'm just another member here. So whenever you see a post by me, just remember that I have a heart too, and don't hurt my feelings. I'm just a little shy, that's all! I'll come around, eventually... Some day.... I don't show my picture in the avatar because I'm ugly enough as it is to you. I like to leave that to the imagination. Depending on what I write, then you can imagine me as you wish. Ugly of not. I change with every post. That's the benefit of being "Unknown"
Guest_Rhymer_*
Hi onlynow,

Only now do I welcome you to this magnificent site.
Please feel free to post any questions in the 'feedback' section.
And don't worry about appearing stupid; we all have to learn, including me, and I realised many years ago that it is better to appear to be a fool for 5 minutes than to remain one for ever!

Once I am able to log in again, feel free to PM anytime, and I will treat you honourably and sensibly!

One idea is to experiment and press the various words that seem to take you somewhere and then try to build a mental picture of what exists where. [when successful, please post a map so we can all find our way around].

Above all else enjoy yourself here, realise that we are all different, associate with those in tune with your own ideas, learn and teach!
Guests have been allowed and disallowed in the past. Generally, anonymity has not been a problem. Even knowing a name provides no information [save been able to address the right person in posts]. I read them all and respond to valid points or questions, disregarding areas uninteresting to me.
All the best, Bill.
Rick
QUOTE(OnlyNow @ Feb 17, 10:00 AM) *
I don’t have any respect for the gutless wonders out there who post anonymously. I myself am scared to death every time I press the post button, but I do it anyway--proudly using the name I was born with. Whenever I encounter a hatless post, I gloss over it without much of a desire to engage. Anyone else have this experience? Couldn’t we establish a grave for “The Unknown Poster” and put him to rest?

I, too, will generally not reply to anonymous posts, but there are exceptions in the case of relevance or insight. I, for one, appreciate satire, and have been accused myself, occasionally, of being a bit irreverent.
Lindsay
Guests: To avoid confusion, at least tell us where you live, and what the weather is like. How about sharing what you really believe to be true?
OnlyNow
I didn't think it possible for anyone to take what I said regarding the anonymous poster personally, but I see a couple of anonymous someones managed to find a way. Would that I could take back that part of my post!

Otherwise, that's what *I'm* talkin' about!

Bill, ohh nooo!
http://www.mrbill.com/
My mind goes just everywhere trying to fathom why you can't log in. Did Shawn ban you? I WILL pm you when the time comes, but you must let me know when that is, and perhaps more importantly, who you are. Thank you for the welcome. I can guarantee that MY name does and will convey information, for better or worse.

Rick, satire and irreverence are my middle names (OnlySatireAndIrreverenceNow).

Lindsay, I agree. The weather would be a nice starting point to sort them all out (anonymous1=partly sunny, anonymous2=chill factor -20, etc.)

How does one trip like Trip? He's an automatic shoo-in as well, for unspecified reasons.

lucid_dream
QUOTE(OnlyNow @ Feb 17, 10:00 AM) *
I believe I’ll know that I’ve truly arrived in the BrainMeta community when I’m able to add and edit my personal photo. I live for the day that in place of the unexplained, “Sorry, the board administrator has not enabled your permissions for this part of the control panel,” I find, “You Go, Girl!” Even though I’m guessing that maintaining a personal photograph would be a snap for someone who could have nabbed the job of Universe Preserver the day she joined the forum, I’m sure "the board administrator" had his reasons. In a lot of ways, it’s probably a blessing that I can’t display my picture here.

OnlyNow, you can do this by uploading your photo to the server and then adding your photo's url to your avatar url in your control panel.
http://brainmeta.com/forum/index.php?act=S...st=0#entry15369

It worked for me. Let me know if it doesn't for you.
ann
Just to let you know, I follow up the conversation.
Sorry, my knowledge of english language is rather limited. I hope it will improve and I am looking forward to discuss with you, about ... better we start with scuba diving, because philosophy in a foreign language is rather too difficult to talk about?
Meanwhile we hopefully meet at the word game section!
OnlyNow
QUOTE(ann @ Feb 18, 07:19 PM) *

Sorry, my knowledge of english language is rather limited. I hope it will improve and I am looking forward to discuss with you, about ... better we start with scuba diving, because philosophy in a foreign language is rather too difficult to talk about?
Meanwhile we hopefully meet at the word game section!

Hi Ann. I'm looking forward to talking about scuba diving too, especially after I start doing it. My hope is that by establishing this goal in writing, I'll really get motivated. The scuba shop is only a few blocks away, so I have no excuse...well, money might be one. I too have difficulty with philosophy--even when it's discussed in English (my first language). (I try, though.)

Many thanks to lucid "buckyballs" dream for guidance on how to get an image from here to there. Shawn went ahead and enabled my photograph controls (!!), so I'm feeling more confident. After much soul searching, I decided to go ahead and rise to the task of preserving the universe. Hence, my photograph and avatar are one and the same. So far so good--last time I checked, it (the universe) is still here.
lucid_dream
cool pic, OnlyNow
Rick
QUOTE(OnlyNow @ Feb 23, 10:02 AM) *
I decided to go ahead and rise to the task of preserving the universe.

Thanks for preserving the universe. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.
Hey Hey
QUOTE(OnlyNow @ Feb 17, 11:53 PM) *

How does one trip like Trip? He's an automatic shoo-in as well, for unspecified reasons.

Your old wingding you !*&?
OnlyNow
QUOTE(Hey Hey @ Mar 05, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(OnlyNow @ Feb 17, 11:53 PM) *

Your old wingding you !*&?

Hey, Hey Hey (bet you've just never heard that one), you're definitely in the brilliant group for figuring that out.

BTW, I truly do realize that just about everyone here belongs in the brilliant category. One doesn't, of course, but she tries.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am