Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selegiline (MAOB inhibiton) and Tryptamines
BrainMeta.com Forum > Enhancing Consciousness and Cognition > Expanding Consciousness > Entheogens
Psiloman
Here is actually a question i always had but received no answer no matter how hard i looked.

It can be summarized in this two sentences

1)Would the coadministration of a MAOB inhibitor such as Selegiline (deprenyl) at low dose (5mg) qualitatively or quantitatively alter a tryptamine experience,and if so how?

2)Would the coadministation of the aforementioned inhibitor with an ayahuasca mixture qualitatively or quantitatively alter the experience and if so how? Notice that ayahuasca contains a MAOA inhibitor.

What follows is a post i made some time ago that got no answer and shows my train of though in a more detailed way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not know if i got this right from my online reading but i have the impression that :When dopamine levels in the brain rise,serotonine levels in other areas in the brain are lowered.If my statement is not correct please elucidate!

So...whats my point? Ott said that high serotonine levels due to the use of a MAO-A inhibitor (propably prolonged use) can diminish tryptamines effects such as LSD even DMT>From y understanding this might happen because more 5HT receptors will be occupied by the abudant serotonine and less receptors will be free for those beloved molecules (Maybe serotonine has even a higher affinity for those receptors than psycedelics,i dont know...)

If the first "Statement" i made holds true then a MAO B inhibitor like the one discussed here would potentiate psychedelics by lowering serotonin levels in some parts of the brain and leaving more receptors for tryptamines.ALso that extra dopamine could be interesting.

What if one combines selegiline at low dosage (5mg) with an Ayahuasca brue (Which already contains a MAO inhibitor,MAO A inhibitor and DMT)?Many people say that harmine and harmaline "mellow" a bit the tryptamines making the ride more smooth although more intense at the peak and with a bigger duration.Harmaline inhibits MAOA in the gut but i think that some of it is reaching the brain as well and rises serotonin levels which could be responsible for this effect.Adding selegiline could counter this effect up to an extend,if all the above i stated is correct....

On the other hand harmaline is reputed to potentiate PEA's as well ,although i do not knwo the mechanism for that.Well,ecuse me if i am mistaken ,but isnt selegiline a phenethylamine as well? If that is so harmaline could potentiate it as well...Hmmm...That could be dangerous,any opinions on that? 5mg of selegiline in an ayahuasca brew could solve some of the questions at least bioassay-wise..

Also keep in mind that im talking still under the light of "TRYPTAMINES and Selegiline",i am pretty sure it will potentiate PEA's through straight MAOB inhibition...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and another post of mine which is along the same train of thought (please bear with me)

First of all sorry for "bringing from the dead" a conversation,but i had exactly the same question but with some extensions.

I have been studying Selegiline and its metabolites recently.The increase of dopamine in the brain due to its MAOI-B irreversible effects was of some interest to me.Why? Read on.

Putting it in simple laymans MAOI A "potentiate" (Mr Ott has a different opinion ) and alter tryptamine intensity and quality as far as the effects are concerned. A MAOI B could "potentiate" and alter the phenethylamine experience but selegiline is too risky for that.I bet that is due to its irreversible caracter and because also MAO B inhibition is generally "bad news" because of tyramine interactions. My first question is: could a reversible MAOI B be used instead of an irreversible and give the desired effect without nasty interactions? I think it can,although i do not recall hearing anything about reversible MAOI B.

That aspect though is not what trully concerns me .What is my true concern is the alteration that a MAOI B such as selegiline at the dose range of 5-10 mg could provide for a tryptamine experience.Sure,the interaction is not going to be direct ,since MAO B couldnt care less for a tryptamine substrate ,BUT...Here comes the "extra dopamine issue".Antagonism of 5HT-2a receptors plus extra dopamine.Could that account for a stronger experience? Maybe providing more "energy" to cope through the experience and combat some of the "sleepiness" felt on some tryptamines or concotions like ayahuasca? Would extra dopamine add some new features to the experience? Here are some interesting questions!

To my best understanding dopamine and serotonine systems are not unrelated,so my question is valid.Are there any further experience reports or other data on that? I think that since 2 years have passed from the last post on this topic some more knowledge could have been accumulated.

Thank you in advance
Unknown
You might try posting in the appropriate subheading here:

http://forum.avantlabs.com/
Unknown
Selegiline (deprenyl) is overhyped if you ask me. I'm not sure about combinations, but taken alone it has never done anything useful for me.
Mersault
I agree, Selegiline is overhyped. I do not hink it enhances energy levels in any doses and combined with any other drug. Some dopaminergics cause pronounced sleepiness. Why is this? Also, you have to take extreme cautions with Ayhuasca to avoid pressor effects. This includes avoiding all tryptamine foods a week before similar to the MAOI diet. There is a drug called trivastal (piribedil) that is a D2/D3 dopamine agonist that might be better for your purposes. of course there's always the old phenethylamine-tryptamine combo that is highly touted (2C-E with 5-meo Dipt, for example).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am