Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Associations and synaptic reinforcement
reynolds38
post Jun 14, 2018, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 40166

So my quandary is when the brain thinks of a thought say a bear it forms a nuerochemical pattern or pathway associated with that thought. By thinking about "bear" the brain reinforces that pattern in the brain ie "use it or lose it". And when the brain is busy thinking about something else that pathway weakens.

So say you have two unrelated thoughts positive and negative, bacon and the death of a loved one for example, by just having those two thoughts simultaneously present in your brain a connection or association be it weak could form between the two. There is no logical reason they should be associated except for the fact they popped in the brain at about the same time.
There is now a neural link between two unrelated thoughts and the more one thinks about it the stronger that superficial link becomes, creating a snowball effect. Is there a way to sever this link?

I know the more I think about something the less my brain wants to keep thinking about it and wants to think about anything else, but I don't know what this mechanism is called. I also know synaptic pruning plays a role in trimming thoughts and connections that are underused.

I've made a disturbing association between two things I don't want connected and not wanting them to connect seems only to connect them more as I am painfully aware that on a brain biochemical level I'm only reinforcing their association. I don't know how to break this self reinforcing chain in my mind. Because now that I'm aware that I cannot think about things without charging or strengthening them in my mind neurologically I'm afraid that whatever I think about particularly negative things have the chance to get stuck in my brain. Like a hamster wheel that only gets progressively faster the more you think about it.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haohao
post Jun 16, 2018, 01:02 AM
Post #2

Awakening

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 38120

QUOTE(reynolds38 @ Jun 15, 2018, 11:38 AM) *

So my quandary is when the brain thinks of a thought say a bear it forms a nuerochemical pattern or pathway associated with that thought. By thinking about "bear" the brain reinforces that pattern in the brain ie "use it or lose it". And when the brain is busy thinking about something else that pathway weakens.

So say you have two unrelated thoughts positive and negative, bacon and the death of a loved one for example, by just having those two thoughts simultaneously present in your brain a connection or association be it weak could form between the two. There is no logical reason they should be associated except for the fact they popped in the brain at about the same time.
There is now a neural link between two unrelated thoughts and the more one thinks about it the stronger that superficial link becomes, creating a snowball effect. Is there a way to sever this link?

I know the more I think about something the less my brain wants to keep thinking about it and wants to think about anything else, but I don't know what this mechanism is called. I also know synaptic pruning plays a role in trimming thoughts and connections that are underused.

I've made a disturbing association between two things I don't want connected and not wanting them to connect seems only to connect them more as I am painfully aware that on a brain biochemical level I'm only reinforcing their association. I don't know how to break this self reinforcing chain in my mind. Because now that I'm aware that I cannot think about things without charging or strengthening them in my mind neurologically I'm afraid that whatever I think about particularly negative things have the chance to get stuck in my brain. Like a hamster wheel that only gets progressively faster the more you think about it.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi reynolds38! Welcome to this forum to join in the academic communications. I'm not a Professor, and hope I could provide some suggestive opinions.

1. Glad that there's another thinking post for discussion. From your statement mentioned above, "nuerochemical pattern" or "pathway" is used for the thought dealing. According to my theory system with no academic funding by Hao Cheng, which could be seen from this webforum, it's "ecochemical", not only just neruos taking improtant part in the process, but also our other physical parts, such as protein, brain center zone and neuro-signaling subsystem. If you have read my posts before, you will know that the neuro-signaling transmission could happen inside and among cells ("The Theory of Neuro-Signal convergence and Inside-brain Distribution", by Hao Cheng, firstly "Posted on: Mar 08, 2017" ), according to Cheng Hao. Also, from your statement above, "I know the more I think about something the less my brain wants to keep thinking about it and wants to think about anything else, but I don't know what this mechanism is called. ", it's normal accroding to Hao CH ("The Theory of the Layered Neuro-signaling System of Brain Functioning", by Hao Cheng, firstly "Posted on: Apr 06", 2017; "The Theory of Formation of Human Memory Subsystem", by Hao Cheng, firstly "Posted on: Oct 19, 2017"; and "The Theory of Neuro-signaling Path Mechanism", by Hao Cheng, firstly "Posted on: Nov 17, 2017"), because your memory is involved in your thinking as a functioning. As to "I also know synaptic pruning plays a role in trimming thoughts and connections that are underused", true but I could tell you that it functions in some ways limited to your memory compassion, protein functioning efficiency and neuro-signaling subsystem ("The Subtheory of Neuro-signaling in Primarily Recognitional Compassion", by Cheng Hao, firstly "Posted on: Nov 17, 2017"). In addition, as to the "I've made a disturbing association between two things I don't want connected and not wanting them to connect seems only to connect them more" from your statement above, I thought you needs to train yourself in thinking relax, and you could think about some happy things before, which also verifies my theory in some way.

2. If you have more time and interest in my posts epublished here (a webforum I happened to find on the Internet), you can browse my eposts, which is my theory system with no academic funding. Hope my contribution to science and technology is not bad, though I don't own a full-time degree till now.

3. "Experience is one way to show your interest and span for the research, which has no direct links with the innovation and best practices. In my opinion, the continuing ability-based performance with interest is the key and the related recognition is important. I thought the essence of the education was the life-long learning and improvements, in which the so-called formal and regular education should be changed into the intensive and flexible learning aiming for the ability-based performances. To be a real intelligence neuroscientist or cognitive neuroscientist, you might need specialized ability-based performance and fund-included web-platform instead of a doctoral degree or post-doctoral medical background, or some professional training certificates or qualifications. "Learning and improving oneself is a life-long course. To be earnest, degrees and diplomas or occupational certificates or qualifications, even the web courses are totally not necessary to the research, even in the future. Internet, specialized e-contents and the interest for the research, including the practicing and webforum, is necessary." from one poster in this forum.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2018 - 03:58 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

BrainMeta is supported by donors of The Neurological Foundation