Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> oxytocin and poetry?
Ęther
post Apr 05, 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 39933

is there any research in to possible correlation between oxytocin and the appreciation of poetry and nuance?

it's a hard question to phrase, test or answer, as nuance is.. nuanced.. but here's my reason for asking.
at 25 years old, the idea of romantic relationship has felt alien and wrong to me since a failed relationship 8 years ago, until recently.
I've fallen in love, and have encountered a great many radical changes to my character. the one I have questions about, is.. poetry.
I hate poetry and always have, I love language and words, and have always found poetry to be a disgusting perversion of it. to speak non literally is to take away from what makes language great as the precise tool by which we connect our minds.
however.. i've been appreciating, and have even been really helped by, poetry of late.. and have even being speaking poetically about my feelings, to a mixture of smug mockery and impressed approval from those with whom I have for so long argued with about how dumb poetry is.
I've been finding my connection to people to seem deeper and in general more nuanced and less hinged on literal words and have been more able to see beauty in things, and in ways, that can't be objectified.

I've been reading about how oxytocin is being used to improve social ability with autistic people (an often literal bunch) and how it can enable a better understanding of emotionality. does this mechanic relate to other forms of esoteric, non-literal communication? is there a correlation that has been researched between oxytocin and appreciation for poetry.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2018 - 02:37 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright © BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

BrainMeta is supported by donors of The Neurological Foundation