Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is love?
Andie
post Jan 25, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 987

Love is something that in so many words still can’t always be explained. There is so much hype around it that love becomes something that must be found, and found quick otherwise we will be alone for the rest of our lives, to sit in front of a TV and watch sitcom after sitcom of marriage relationships where “love” is pouring out the seams in hugs and kisses. So what is love? Is it the physical attraction that everyone feels at some point in their life for another person ( I use person as a means of respect and as a means to shorten having to put opposite and/or same sex) ? Or is it the personality meshing into one to become a greater “item” of the world? Where even if reproduction doesn’t always happen, one is happy because the other is happy, and vise versa? To be in love is such a powerful thing. And everyone should feel that. But doesn’t it seem that when it’s love it’s conditional, even in the sense of family, conditions fall into the mix.
Love can be quite confusing too. Sometimes you are expected to love someone, something, and you can’t no matter how hard you try. When I say this I mean love in the way of attraction physical and mental, not love in the way of respect and peace. I mean it IS hard to love your enemies and you should do that. But that is not the love I speak of.

So what is love to you?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jan 25, 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #2

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

Hi andie,

Your question is a hard one to put an answer to in just a few simple words.

It then struck me that it is easier to think of someone you might hate to be near, for whatever reason, and then think of the opposites.

Then, the person you love is the person who you never object to being near!
It is the person you would seek to share things with, to take from and to give to.
It is the person to whom you would make a personal committment to love, honour and obey, help, soothe, comfort, etc.....
It is the person who you would not force to do something against their own will. And more!
And as long as the feelings are mutual, you have the recipe for a lifelong relationship which can be magic.
It will be tested, it won't be perfect, because perfection is really a non-existing ideal [a human concept]. Each will make mistakes; the trick is to learn from them and to forget them once accepted and resolved.

Many more words could be added but I think that's a start.

Best regards, Bill.
+Quote Post
ayanasphere14
post Mar 31, 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1642

Love is the most beautiful feeling in the world. It can also be the most painful.
When love is in blossom it is overwhelming!

Love.. what is it? It is different for every living creation in this world.
When you are in love it is such a beautiful thing. Any thought of this person brings such joy to your heart.
Everything about them is more tolerable then the next.
You want to be with them.. touch them... even a scent of them will make you smile.

I am deeply and passionately in love with my boyfriend. He is my best friend... my lover.... my everything. He makes me completely happy.

One thing that is true love takes time and effort to work out... this I know from experience. If you truly love someone with all your heart you will know... there is no way that you couldn't. And if you have to question yourself otherwise than it probably isn't so.
+Quote Post
post Apr 23, 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

Love Is ...

It's having someone to be with
Someone you can't be without
It's wanting to hold them every second
That's what its all about.

It's the happiness you feel
When everythings gone wrong
It's the way you sit there
And think of crazy love songs.

It's the sadness in your heart
When you know their not there
It's the safeness you have
When you are feeling scared.

It's the hope you have
When everythings gone
It's the dreams you hold
When your alone.

It's having someone to talk to
When noone else is listening
It's being so in love
That nothing in your life is missing.

It's knowing I love you
And I'll love you forever
It's thinking of you every second
Thats what true love is!

BABYSTANG74
+Quote Post
hollywoodsnoopy
post Mar 18, 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Overlord

Member No.: 4306

I don't know if I truly know what love is. I just recently broke up with my fiance of 4+ years and I thought I would have been more tore up about the whole ordeal. I really wasn't, well yeah for a week or two. I wondered then if I ever really loved him at all. Did I just settle in for the ideal? I feel passion and love for a man now that I cannot posess and that feels more like love. To know he won't chose me over the other woman he is fond of currently cuts like daggers. That is the love I remember. I can't say what it really is, but I know that I feel better with it in my life and lacking when it disipates. I wish to be loved and to love, but that cannot happen at this time. I sat down and read Irish love poems last night and cried. Due to the fact that I have written countless poems of these men I have loved, but when ever has that been returned to me. Never. I want to be the source of fancy. I want a man to write of me that way. To let me know that I am immortal through his thoughts and feelings. To have someone else read the words and say "I wish I knew of a love like that." Love is all around us even if we don't truly posess it. I believe in love even if it doesn't believe in me right now.
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Apr 02, 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #6

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

Surfing around the forum I came across the following short-lived thread from 2004: It is a question about the nature of love, which was raised by Andie. I wonder why it was so short-lived?:
QUOTE(Andie @ Jan 25, 2004, 12:44 PM) *

Love is something that...Sometimes you are expected to love someone, something, and you can't, no matter how hard you try.

When I say this I mean love in the way of attraction physical and mental, not love in the way of respect and peace. I mean it IS hard to love your enemies and you should do that. But that is not the love I speak of.

So what is love to you?
We never heard from Andie again. I wonder why. Did he FALL in love?

A wit once said: "Love is an itchy feeling around the heart that you can't scratch." Perhaps Aandie is still trying to find a way to scratch it. laugh.gif

LOVE, AS THE HIGHEST GOOD AND THE FOUNDATION OF HAPPINESS
But seriously, it seems to me that Andie was thinking about EROS, sensual love, and about PHILIA, friendship. For sure they are important parts of love; but, in my opinion, they are not the whole, or fullness, of it.

Be that as it may, he did raise a very important question, which I feel fits in with the question about happiness. How would you answer his question.
===============
+Quote Post
simon
post Apr 03, 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #7

Aspiring

Member No.: 6876

love is blinking and find everything still there, again.
love is a new day dawning, the play of the light as the world turns.
love is a laugh that squeezes out tears and weakens the knees
love is grander than any hurt
love is bigger than me
love is a breah of the ancient now rustling the trees with tales
love is the tinest thing sparkling to catch my eye

love is a biological response to breading that in involves many neurochemicals to facilitate bonding
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Apr 03, 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #8

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Excellent! Thanks for your poetry, Simon. Now, what can you say about love as...Well, I will leave it to you and your wonderful imagination.

BTW, in your profile and in "Introduce Yourself": Tell us more about YOU.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Apr 03, 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #9

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

http://www.huna.org/html/flower.html
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Apr 03, 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #10

God

HH, thanks for the poetic essay about a proverb on the nature of love from the Hawaiian tradition.

+Quote Post
B@YB33*GURL
post Jun 02, 2009, 06:54 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 32166

love wat can we say bout love...

love iis a feeliin
but do u actually no wat love iis wen iit hiits u
u may thiink u love someone but once u break up of course iits hard but don u get ova iit wiithiin a couple dais...weeks...iis dat wat love iis somethiin u can get ova ii always thought love was eternal...ii thought iit lasted an eternity...ii may be wrong but dats how ii c love
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog