Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PHP, Hypertext Preprocessor!
MyBleachedWings
post Jan 21, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 806

Who are the PHP scripters here? I've seen Mind-Brain.com's PHP.net manual which gets me thinking that the webmaster is interested in it, and talking about it is good for the inquisitive mind. Particularly, my mind.

smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Jan 21, 2004, 01:07 PM
Post #2

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

hi MyBleachedWings. Yes, I very much enjoy scripting in php/mysql. Is there anything you might like to know? There are some excellent manuals out there. You can probably get most in pdf format. Such a manual, in combination with hands-on scripting and toying with code, is probably one of the best ways for learning it (i.e., by 'doing' it).

You should also install a local server on your computer with php (PHP Triad is a great set of tools for Windows containing the Apache webserver, PHP, and MySQL) so that you can dynamically build your own php pages on your own computer without having to upload files all the time to your remote server to see what your php pages look like.
+Quote Post
MyBleachedWings
post Jan 23, 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Shawn @ Jan 21, 01:07 PM)
hi MyBleachedWings. Yes, I very much enjoy scripting in php/mysql. Is there anything you might like to know? There are some excellent manuals out there. You can probably get most in pdf format. Such a manual, in combination with hands-on scripting and toying with code, is probably one of the best ways for learning it (i.e., by 'doing' it).

You should also install a local server on your computer with php (PHP Triad is a great set of tools for Windows containing the Apache webserver, PHP, and MySQL) so that you can dynamically build your own php pages on your own computer without having to upload files all the time to your remote server to see what your php pages look like.

I have a book entitled PHP: Fast & Easy Web Development and so far, I've learned a great amount of stuff. MySQL comes in the next chapter.

What I think, is that this book walks the reader through in creating a small, but functional CMS.

And yeah, those manuals are great! Once you are able to recognize the things you should know first, and at that time, they become less intimidating. Looking up functions through php.net is very convenient.

smile.gif

What I would like to know is, what are the most common types of loops/functions/etc in an average PHP script?
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Jan 24, 2004, 06:31 AM
Post #4

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

I did a quick search and found the url for PHP Triad at http://sourceforge.net/projects/phptriad , which I would recommend to anyone with Windows so they can have the Apache server, PHP, and MySQL installed on their computers. I think it also comes with MySQL-front (but if it doesn't, you can download it at http://www.mysqlfront.de ), which is a great windows program and front end for MySQL, though I prefer their older version 2.5 to their newer one (2.6) because, for some reason, it works lightning fast on my system (whereas their 2.6 version can get slow). PHPmyAdmin is also a nice MySQL front end that you actually run and access on your server, which is convenient.

I don't think I've heard about PHP: Fast & Easy Web Development. One of the best books I came across when I first started PHP is Sybex "Mastering PHP 4.1". The first few chapters provide the best intro to PHP I've seen. The PHP "Bible" would have to be the "PHP Manual", which is posted at http://brainmeta.com/phpman/ , but I would highly recommend that you try to obtain the .pdf version through a file-sharing program like Bearshare. In retrospect, this PHP Manual (the pdf version) has been, by far, the most helpful and oft-used piece of PHP literature that I've referenced. The html version is also found at http://php.net , which is one of the best sites for PHP around ( http://phpfreaks.com and http://codewalkers.com are also worthwhile).

About Content Management Systems (CMS), I have never deeply looked into these packages. I know there's phpnuke and other packages that, more or less, are complete CMS's.... I don't know what your thoughts are on this.

What I would like to know is, what are the most common types of loops/functions/etc in an average PHP script?

what a question! smile.gif I don't know about the 'average PHP script', but in my limited experience, I've used a lot of the following loops and functions:

include, echo, die, if, else, switch, break, for.... hmmmm, that's all that comes to mind at the moment, but I'm sure there are more. Also, knowing all the details of forms, tables, and MySQL are essential for many scripts, though not for your average script. Javascript and DHTML also come in handy often.
+Quote Post
MyBleachedWings
post Jan 26, 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #5

I have been doing work with forms, mostly writing simple mail forms for my personal website. PHPFreaks, and PHP.net's manual are VERY nice. smile.gif

My Mom nearly bought PHP "bible" when she saw it on the shelf at a store one day, but I told her not to do so, considering you can get to something nearly identical to the usual manual.

I've also been doing alot of $_POST, $_SERVER, $HTTP_USER_AGENT, and $REMOTE_ADDR. Arrays (eg: $_SERVER[name]), are also some of the stuff I'm into right now. I have experience in HTML so CSS and forms are something I'm acquainted with, though only a little bit.

My thoughts on a CMS is a place to log into and gain things such as posting messages on the actual website. Much like a forum. PHPNuke is really alot like this! I think I will install an IB and develop my CMS from that, so the members of the forum do not have to register for the site. Two things for less resources? smile.gif
+Quote Post
post Mar 24, 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #6

Unregistered

Is there a website with the PDF version of php bible ?
+Quote Post
post Mar 24, 2004, 11:27 AM
Post #7

Unregistered

http://iwing.cpe.ku.ac.th/tutorial/PHP/PHPmanual.pdf
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Oct 14, 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

who needs manuals just post your non-working scripts in a new thread named "non-working scripts" and i will debug them for you.
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Oct 14, 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

and my name is beamerrox if somone is asking
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Oct 14, 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

should I bother mentioning that you can get practically every PHP manual and book for free, and many professional PHP tools for free too, from free P2P file sharing programs such as Emule, Overnet, Morpheus, and Bearshare? Beware of Morpheus; their spyware will be insidious and difficult if not impossible to remove for the novice. Bearshare spyware is easy to get rid of, and is probably the best gnutella P2P software out there; lightning fast download speeds. Excellent. So go out and share today!
+Quote Post
Unknown
post Oct 14, 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #11

Unregistered

I am not beamerrox, but thanks beamerrox for the offer. I may post some PHP scripts for you to debug. One script I've been thinking about writing up, but it hasn't yet crystallized in my mind how to do it, is a script that, given an array of url's, will spider the url pages to extract links, and it will then spider the pages from these links to obtain a pdf download link, and which will then download the pdf's and save them to your hard-drive.
+Quote Post
Unknown #200
post Nov 22, 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

that sounds great, and i will make sure to look up some info on that so i can better help you.

beamerrox rules
+Quote Post
post Aug 02, 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Unregistered

i have reopened the beamerrox program, it is now hosted at www.tombeam.net send any php/mysql bugs to tombeam@tombeam.net
+Quote Post
Holmes2499
post Jan 25, 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 38508

Thank for the info.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles