Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Definition Of Neural Networks, from http://uhavax.hartford.edu/compsci/
Shawn
post Jan 12, 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #1

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Neural networks have a large appeal to many researchers due to their great closeness to the structure of the brain, a characteristic not shared by more traditional systems.

In an analogy to the brain, an entity made up of interconnected neurons, neural networks are made up of interconnected processing elements called units, which respond in parallel to a set of input signals given to each. The unit is the equivalent of its brain counterpart, the neuron.

A neural network consists of four main parts:

1. Processing units{uj}, where each uj has a certain activation level aj(t) at any point in time.

2. Weighted interconnections between the various processing units which determine how the activation of one unit leads to input for another unit.

3. An activation rule which acts on the set of input signals at a unit to produce a new output signal, or activation.

4. Optionally, a learning rule that specifies how to adjust the weights for a given input/output pair.

A processing unit uj takes a number of input signals, say a1j, a2j,...,anj with corresponding weights w1j, w2j,...,wnj, respectively. The net input to uj given by:

netj = SUM (wij * aij)

The new state of activation of uj given by:

aj(t+1) = F(aj(t),netj),

where F is the activation rule and aj(t) is the activation of uj at time t. The output signal oj of unit uj is a function of the new state of activation of uj:

oj(t+1) = fj(aj(t+1)).

One of the most important features of a neural network is its ability to adapt to new environments. Therefore, learning algorithms are critical to the study of neural networks.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
D.R
post Oct 22, 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #2

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 13704

Also they are diferent architectures of a Neural Network some are they diferents but esencially works with the same fundaments they exists with diferent capabilites and implementations.

+Quote Post
dentroid
post Nov 11, 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 14175

Some neural networks is more algorithms than neural networks. Why don't to try emulate some simple neural sistem of bee or somthing more simpler with artificial neural networks?
+Quote Post
Maykel Abdelmessih
post Sep 13, 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13576

I think that neural algorithms are used more in evolutionary programming than in genetic algorithms to predict subject's optimal representation within several generations that can later determine the rate of mutation and recombinations associated with that particular phenotype.
Probably artificial networks are designed for logistics and cognitive wave "the objective patterns" in the brain since it deals more with processing than fitness functions.
+Quote Post
Crazytheorist
post Dec 05, 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 31784

QUOTE(Maykel Abdelmessih @ Sep 13, 2008, 03:46 PM) *

I think that neural algorithms are used more in evolutionary programming and genetic algorithms to predict complicated organism optimal representation within several generations like determining mutation and recombinations associated with a particular phenotype, probably artificial networks would fall more under logic and cognitive wave patterns in the brain since it deals more with processing than fitness functions.

I've been working on a "neural pathway" theory myself, and have just started to look into neural networks. Let me give a very brief explanation of my neural pathway first.

Basically, the psychological functions of the brain operate on a "checks and balance" system and go through a series of checkpoints before the physical expression of an action is exhibited. So far i've been reading a lot of the work done by psychophysiologists, and have been formulating a "map" per se of the brain.

I've run into a few problems though. I've tried contacting many of the labs who have published work, but no one ever responds to my questions about their work. Second, the university I am enrolled hasn't showed any interest in my work because there is no one who has any knowledge of current work done in the field of psychophysiology. So i've been stuck doing independent research at the moment. Anyone have any ideas on how I can show my work and get feedback as to whether or not my work has any potential?
+Quote Post
Orbz
post Dec 08, 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #6

Overlord

Member No.: 6770

QUOTE(Crazytheorist @ Dec 06, 2008, 03:24 AM) *

I've run into a few problems though. I've tried contacting many of the labs who have published work, but no one ever responds to my questions about their work. Second, the university I am enrolled hasn't showed any interest in my work because there is no one who has any knowledge of current work done in the field of psychophysiology. So i've been stuck doing independent research at the moment. Anyone have any ideas on how I can show my work and get feedback as to whether or not my work has any potential?

You could post it here?
I can't promise a timely response but I'd read it.
+Quote Post
Crazytheorist
post Dec 08, 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 31784

QUOTE(Orbz @ Dec 09, 2008, 02:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Crazytheorist @ Dec 06, 2008, 03:24 AM) *

You could post it here?
I can't promise a timely response but I'd read it.

Will do that. I have finals currently (I love how I have 5 finals in 2 days), but after tomorrow I will be working on transferring it from paper to computer.
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Dec 08, 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #8

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

i'd like to see your ideas, too, and will offer feedback
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 07:41 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles