Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beginner question convention current
Mark M.
post Feb 12, 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 38523

Hi

as a beginner in the broad field of TNS I recently struggle with rather basic things but hope you will help me anyway ;-).
I am a little confused regarding the conventions. I know that in physiology an inward current is defined as positive ions entering the cell or negative ions leaving the cell and the outward current the other way round (postive out/ negative in) . So far it makes sense. We now consider an electrode current an inward current (so far so good) but the membrane potential however is defined as an outward current - what does that mean? I would rather expect that the membrane current is not confined to only positive ions leaving the cell and negative ions flowing into the cell - so why do we use that definition here? I remember reading somewhere about the single compartment model the expression of an "outward current charging the capacitor" which does not make any sense to me.

Thanks in advance

mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haohao
post Feb 13, 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #2

Awakening

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 38120

Hello Mark M.! Welcome to this forum to join in the academic communications. I'm not a Professor, and hope I could provide some suggestive opinions.

1. If the TNS here refers to the Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation instead of the meaning of Transparence Network Substrate or other things, then the development of the TNS should be researched with the Neuro-signling System.

2. From your statement above, the condition for "the membrane potential is defined as an outward current" is upon that the cell is a capacitor with a voltage of balancing zero, which is an ideal state no matter it's a resting membrane potential or not, and in this view, you could understand the opinion that "outward current charging the capacitor". However, in my humble opinion, the cell is a capacitor with a main motor inside and the membrane as its surface. The cell membranes affect the transmission of the neuro-signals and parts of the neuro-signaling system.

3. "Experience is one way to show your interest and span for the research, which has no direct links with the innovation and best practices. In my opinion, the continuing ability-based performance with interest is the key and the related recognition is important. I thought the essence of the education was the life-long learning and improvements, in which the so-called formal and regular education should be changed into the intensive and flexible learning aiming for the ability-based performances. To be a real intelligence neuroscientist or cognitive neuroscientist, you might need specialized ability-based performance and fund-included web-platform instead of a doctoral degree or post-doctoral medical background, or some professional training certificates or qualifications. "Learning and improving oneself is a life-long course. To be earnest, degrees and diplomas or occupational certificates or qualifications, even the web courses are totally not necessary to the research, even in the future. Internet, specialized e-contents and the interest for the research, including the practicing and webforum, is necessary." from one poster in this forum.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 03:51 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles