Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cholinergic problems?
SkyBright
post Jan 23, 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 36962

Hey everyone. My first post here, and I'll start it off with a strange problem with my state of brain.

What I'm after is finding out the reason(s) why i need choline supplementation to stave off a sluggishness in cognition. I discovered lecithin about 15 years ago and that's near the magic bullet for me. When i'm off it i decline. It's hard to describe the symptoms but it resembles 'sluggish cognitive tempo', namely the ADD scourge. Restlessness, and trouble with concentrating and not experiencing good stages in sleep, etc.
'Can't sleep well' leads to self-perpetuating engine that devours itself. PITA.

I've eliminated AD(H)D because this problem started in around age 18-19. (I'm 48 now.) Before then nothing i.e., school work was too easy thus unchallenging and that is a hallmark of it, i believe. It was born out of some pretty stressful times as a late teenager, and it (i) slid down an edge at around 30, so i started on the smart drugs trail aka Nootropics. The '30 bracket' was just a shift in hormones i.e., no external stressors. Thyroid panel is aok as is everything aok from a conventional medical standpoint.

I considered bipolar but the moods do not swing. It's the cognition that does the swinging, barring anything on the emotional side.

After trying everything under the sun, i found piracetam or lecithin to fill the synapses. DMAE nothing. Choline nothing. And if you remember the days of ephedra (circa 90's), i used to take that and it would do the same trick via kicking up the metabolic rate - clue # 2.

I'm HSP and i used to sleep walk in my teens, a big-time Dramamine user for car sickness until 13, and i still have sleep paraylsis from time to time. Mental disorders are not that far way in family tree. Grandma and great uncle were Dx'd paranoid schizophrenic.

So then what is it? The lesser version of bipolar? ( 1 or 2 i forget)

It's killing me to know, and the only clue is 'stress', namely the one i experienced at the onset of this.

Thoughts anyone?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jubilee
post Sep 02, 2015, 07:52 AM
Post #2

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 37878

QUOTE(SkyBright @ Jan 23, 2014, 11:48 PM) *

Hey everyone. My first post here, and I'll start it off with a strange problem with my state of brain.

What I'm after is finding out the reason(s) why i need choline supplementation to stave off a sluggishness in cognition. I discovered lecithin about 15 years ago and that's near the magic bullet for me. When i'm off it i decline. It's hard to describe the symptoms but it resembles 'sluggish cognitive tempo', namely the ADD scourge. Restlessness, and trouble with concentrating and not experiencing good stages in sleep, etc.
'Can't sleep well' leads to self-perpetuating engine that devours itself. PITA.

I've eliminated AD(H)D because this problem started in around age 18-19. (I'm 48 now.) Before then nothing i.e., school work was too easy thus unchallenging and that is a hallmark of it, i believe. It was born out of some pretty stressful times as a late teenager, and it (i) slid down an edge at around 30, so i started on the smart drugs trail aka Nootropics. The '30 bracket' was just a shift in hormones i.e., no external stressors. Thyroid panel is aok as is everything aok from a conventional medical standpoint.

I considered bipolar but the moods do not swing. It's the cognition that does the swinging, barring anything on the emotional side.

After trying everything under the sun, i found piracetam or lecithin to fill the synapses. DMAE nothing. Choline nothing. And if you remember the days of ephedra (circa 90's), i used to take that and it would do the same trick via kicking up the metabolic rate - clue # 2.

I'm HSP and i used to sleep walk in my teens, a big-time Dramamine user for car sickness until 13, and i still have sleep paraylsis from time to time. Mental disorders are not that far way in family tree. Grandma and great uncle were Dx'd paranoid schizophrenic.

So then what is it? The lesser version of bipolar? ( 1 or 2 i forget)

It's killing me to know, and the only clue is 'stress', namely the one i experienced at the onset of this.

Thoughts anyone?

Hi, Jubilee here. Thank you for sharing. I love learning from other people.

I have read stuff on here before, but I wanted to register to participate today.

Regarding choline, I have a health issue that causes nerve damage, so I have been told repeatedly to take choline/lecithin to give me the raw materials to make new nerve cells.

I will tell you when I really noticed a big difference in taking choline. I had started taking very low dose Benedryl for allergies (1-2 tabs at night), and I developed heart palpitations. I did some research, and I learned that Benedryl, like many medicines, is "anti-cholinergenic". That means it opposes our choline. Also, I read a medical article that said that a major contributor of confusion for older adults is the use of one or more anti-cholinergenic drugs. Choline undergirds carnitine. Low carnitine can lead to heart palpitations. I had to add a little carnitine or choline to stop the heart palpitations, or I had to stop the Benedryl. Adding the Choline fixed my issue. I have been off and on choline and or carnitine as a secondary remedy, and these results were consistent.

So I am wondering if you take any medicines that are anti-cholinergenic. I don't easily sleep, and after reading your post, I will try increasing my choline to see if it helps. I know my body is chewing through my choline. Thank you for giving me another idea to try.

The cheapest place I have found to buy choline is Liftmode. I like their products because they are half the price of anyone else, and I am not feeding myself fillers. They only sell pure, bulk powders. I have bought other nootropics from them as well, like Phenibut for sleep.

Jubilee

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 08:10 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles