Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GABAa or GABA receptor antagonists, Hypersomnia and somnogens
nooway
post May 02, 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 35091

Diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia several years ago. Taking 400mg daily of armodafinil to stay mostly functional, but tolerance is increasing. I'm seeking out options outside my current prescribed medication.

Background:
Emory University researchers recently discovered that people with IH have a substance in their cerebrospinal fluid that is overly sensitive to GABA, causing excessive drowsiness. Right now the only approved treatment are stimulants, and nootropics such as armodafinil/modafinil.

Recently Flumazenil, typically given by injection to people who have ODed on benzos, has been shown to be remarkably effective treatment -- to the extent it's been called an "antidote". Unfortunately, the full inventory of doses in the US would only treat a few IH patients annually since it has to be converted to tablet form to be practical. Details here:

Dubdubdub clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01183312

Dubdubdub news.emory.edu/stories/2012/11/antidote_for_hypersomnia/

So...I'm seeking suggestions on substances that might dial down GABAA receptor sensitivity, ligands that antagonize, or ways to reduce levels of GABAA overall. Something the average person can access, or find with some creative procurement.

** As you can imagine, this condition blows. Imagine going through the day titrating benadryl. All day, every day. Without end. I rely on an unhealthy cycle of procrastination ==> fear of missing deadlines to amp up my wakefullness so I can produce. Only when my body is flooded with fight/flight chems am I able overcome the constant desire to sleep.

Welcome any well-constructed insights, suggestions, stacks, recommendations etc. you can share regarding the above. Thanks all.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 03:40 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles