Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electromyography (EMG) problem
StijnS
post Mar 27, 2013, 07:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 35003

Dear all,

I'm currently trying to determine a motor threshold for a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) experiment in an anaesthetized rat. However, I'm having difficulties getting a decent baseline. Instead of a clear baseline with little noise when there is no activity or stimulation, I have a constant sinuswave on the monitor with too much noise to detect any small changes.

Since I suspected this had to do with the ground electrode, I have tried several locations (needle electrode in the tail, needle electrode subcutaneously in the back, surface electrode on the back), unfortunately each without succes.

The anode (reference) is placed on the foot of the rat. Here I tried a needle electrode between the second and third digit as well.

Also for the muscle itself I tried the front paw and the hind limb with surface and needle electrodes, without succes.

The sensitivity of the monitor is set at increments of 50 uV, while in literature increments of 15 - 50 uV in amplitude (peak-to-peak) should be detectable.
Since this is often done in articles, this should be accomplishable.

Does anyone here have any experience with this or any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Many thanks,
Stijn
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 09:09 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles