BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EEG: why do slower waves have a higher amplitude?
Lewj
post Jan 19, 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 34827

I'm actually not sure where I read this, but my understanding is that a characteristic of slow waves, is that they also have a higher amplitude than shorter wavelengths measured by EEG.

Does anyone know why? Is it something to do with electrical charge having less dissipation when of a lower frequency? Or something else?

And why are there 'waves' any way? Intuitively, I would have thought that measuring electric current/voltage(?) on the scalp would just give you a jumble of different electrical activity, or perhaps a more or less stable voltage level, or both.

Does anyone know a good book or Website where I can find these answers?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Magister Hayk
post Jan 19, 2013, 05:32 AM
Post #2

Overlord

Member No.: 33583

It is an issue of vibrations in biological systems. Generally low frequency vibrations have higher amplitude in biological systems.

> Does anyone know why?

Officially it is an unsolved issue in science, yet.

> Is it something to do with electrical charge having less dissipation when of a lower frequency?

There are many theories applied to different systems. Biological objects are a separate branch. Some assign that to slow electro-chemical processes, but there are frequencies in biological systems that does not meet any slow process knowingly existing in bio-systems but spectroscopic analysis of the vibrational package reveals presence of very low vibrational components with high amplitude. It is some sort of paradox issue.

You should look over books concerning vibrations measurement in biological systems.
+Quote Post
Magister Hayk
post Jan 19, 2013, 05:56 AM
Post #3

Overlord

Here a specific example related with Brain-Signal analysis:

E.g. in Jewish tradition there are concepts of such crystals known as Urim and Thummim ,
they been placing at body (in certain frame) of High Priest and audible questions been asked, the observer, who probably was in altered state of the consciousnesses was looking at those stones if one of them was looking shiny for him it was meaning that God been saying Yes if the other one was some sort of foggy, cloudy looking for him it was meaning that God been saying No.

This means that there is some sort of info interchange in-between Bio System and Crystal System (crystals are widely used in Magic, some claim that they see some sort of soft light coming out from some crystals, that means that human body and brain is able to analyse quite specific electro-magnetic or other unknown signals under specific conditions). There are various suppositions at which frequencies and how that info interchange takes place, some assume that things process in the low vibrational frequency mode.

Correct measurement in biological systems is an very specific issue, the topic covers great many delicate branches of science some of them are Classified and for internal governmental use.
+Quote Post
Magister Hayk
post Jan 19, 2013, 06:01 AM
Post #4

Overlord

You also can google for Priestly breastplate and find amazing design prototype for button telephones Matrix wink.gif

Analogous plate you can find at costume of Lord Vader is Star Wars. smile.gif

Hope I provided satisfactory answers to your questions.

Welcome to Brain Meta, the most specific Forum in the Galaxy.
+Quote Post
Lewj
post Jan 19, 2013, 07:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 34827

Hmm.. I thought this was a neuroscience forum. Goodbye!
+Quote Post
Magister Hayk
post Jan 19, 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #6

Overlord

QUOTE(Lewj @ Jan 19, 2013, 07:09 PM) *

Hmm.. I thought this was a neuroscience forum. Goodbye!

This is very advanced neuroscience forum. Btw, the post # 2 reflects some issues you highlighted. Goodbye!
+Quote Post
djtickleknobs
post May 08, 2013, 01:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 35102

It is said that this is a mystery in many ways. For the brain yes, for electronics no. If you sent 9volts through an oscillating circuit, the current would be high in lower frequencies and lower in higher frequencies because of the amount of energy being expended flipping the power on and off. This is remedied in a circuit using a potentiometer to increase or decrease the resistance so you are able to maintain the same amount of current over each frequency. The brain doesn't appear to have an automatic regulatory mechanism and must be why monks and gifted artists have been measured to give off higher amplitude at higher frequency than other 'normals'. It seems through practice you can enter into a state of high frequency while painting, playing piano, fighting and fare much better then those who don't 'concentrate'.

This line of thinking my explain why a priest encourages daily repetitive prayer and then why those who do so report a feeling of divine connection or a the presence of those unseen. Meditation, Prayer, Practice allow us to repeat a task so much that we pass into the higher frequencies as we do it thus allowing us to put the stuff we are used to on auto pilot and then experiment with new ideas in whatever task we are carrying out.

-
djtk

QUOTE(Lewj @ Jan 19, 2013, 01:57 AM) *

I'm actually not sure where I read this, but my understanding is that a characteristic of slow waves, is that they also have a higher amplitude than shorter wavelengths measured by EEG.

Does anyone know why? Is it something to do with electrical charge having less dissipation when of a lower frequency? Or something else?

And why are there 'waves' any way? Intuitively, I would have thought that measuring electric current/voltage(?) on the scalp would just give you a jumble of different electrical activity, or perhaps a more or less stable voltage level, or both.

+Quote Post
mway
post May 09, 2013, 08:51 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 33293

QUOTE(Lewj @ Jan 19, 2013, 06:57 PM) *

One way to explain it would be this. Take a field of neurons whose individual rates don't fluctuate too much. Slow waves indicate more synchronous activity required to keep the individual rates within the desired range. So put simply, any neuronal field that attempts to keep a stable overall rate is going to exhibit higher amplitudes for lower frequencies, as they will be more synchronous. Hope that makes sense.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles