Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Effect of Experience on the time recognition, Based on my experience
Spaceshiplaunching
post Jan 07, 2013, 08:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 34806

Today, I had an amazing experience myself.

I was at subway thinking about something. It was about my career .I thought about my career for like 3 years.
I really get myself indulged into the thinking. After I finished thinking, I felt like the time has gone like 3 or 4
hours, but actually we only past 20minutes.(Here "I felt the time" means that the time I perciece in my ordinary
life). It was amazing.

Speaking of other case, when we do something new [new game or new sports] ,,,
we use the expression "the time just ran out!" .
Its like when we try new games, new sports time flows much more faster!
I think it is while our brain forms new synapses path for that particular thinknig task when our brain
perceive time slow.
which means RATIO brain time/clock time goes down
And I think during this brain synapses forming process we feel the emotion "fun"

What do you think people? I want to discuss about it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
P JayS
post Jan 08, 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #2

Demi-God

Member No.: 34146

QUOTE(Spaceshiplaunching @ Jan 07, 2013, 08:14 AM) *

Today, I had an amazing experience myself.

I was at subway thinking about something. It was about my career .I thought about my career for like 3 years.
I really get myself indulged into the thinking. After I finished thinking, I felt like the time has gone like 3 or 4
hours, but actually we only past 20minutes.(Here "I felt the time" means that the time I perciece in my ordinary
life). It was amazing.

Speaking of other case, when we do something new [new game or new sports] ,,,
we use the expression "the time just ran out!" .
Its like when we try new games, new sports time flows much more faster!
I think it is while our brain forms new synapses path for that particular thinknig task when our brain
perceive time slow.
which means RATIO brain time/clock time goes down
And I think during this brain synapses forming process we feel the emotion "fun"

What do you think people? I want to discuss about it.

Interesting perception! Time does seem to pass by more quickly when a person is having fun.
+Quote Post
Spaceshiplaunching
post Jan 10, 2013, 02:03 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 34806

By the way u know any of other scientific forum? Including spaceship science or brain science?
+Quote Post
P JayS
post Jan 10, 2013, 02:37 AM
Post #4

Demi-God

Member No.: 34146

QUOTE(Spaceshiplaunching @ Jan 10, 2013, 02:03 AM) *

By the way u know any of other scientific forum? Including spaceship science or brain science?

I prefer this forum myself. I have been here a long time. I don't like starting over in new places.
+Quote Post
Dan Merryday
post Jul 23, 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 35246

Spaceship, that's an interesting experience.

So, in your first account you perceive that time moves slower, i.e your brain time/clock time ratio is higher, right?

In your second account, you perceive that time moves faster, or your brain time/clock time ratio is lower.

You also say that when this ratio is lower, people express "time just ran out", which is what many people feel when they are having fun.

Does that mean you didn't have fun, when you were thinking about your career? Since it was the reverse for you, time actually felt longer instead of running out so fast?

Professor Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls this phenomenon "flow", when someone is doing something that is highly engaging. I believe he has a chart that explains the relationship of time versus engagement, but I can't find it right now. It might give some additional insight to your experience.

Cheers,
+Quote Post
Dennis Sedov
post Jul 24, 2013, 12:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 35238

Let's see how we can explain this.

We can say that our experiences consists of different actions - mental or physical or both. I think that every experience can be "quantized" into basic actions of the brain, meaning that there is a fundamental "language" of the brain - like an alphabet. Each "quant" is of a similar size. If we think of any mental or physical activity as a set of those "quants", then we can induce that a given activity takes N quants to accomplish. I'm pretty sure there is a scientific term for what I call "quant", just can't find it.

Let's make an analogy to a computer or processor that needs to compute N commands in order to accomplish a task or solve a problem. Given fixed speed of the processor of N operations / second = S (for speed), we can deduce the fact that a given problem of N commands will always take S divided by N seconds. It will always be a constant for N commands.

Now, lets get back to our problem. Unlike a processor, brain's speed of computation S is not a constant and is dependent on many dynamic properties of the brain. CNS can be more active or less active depending on many variables. Some of those variable can be more dynamic then others. I'm assuming that different types of mental or physical activities change those variables (especially those that have high plasticity). Hence, a given task of N "quants" can affect those variables and make task take longer or shorter timespans to accomplish.

The root of the problem now is how we think about those quants. We have a notion that a "quant" always takes a specific amount of time. So when we think of some task that we have accomplished, we think of how many "quants" it took us to do. This is our internal perception of time. To give an analogy - lets pretend that a second is a variable and not a constant. And this second very much depends on the actions we do. We'd still count time in seconds, but the objective time (of a clock f.e.) will be much different then subjective of us as a human beings.

Hope it makes sense.
+Quote Post
zoom1234
post Nov 23, 2014, 08:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 37456

I have the big pleasure and the big honor to inform you about my new book "Electronic Brain", that contains the result of 12 years of my researches in the neural network field, I present in this book a new model of neural network named El-Dorra, and I include a new learning methodology as the separated learning, continued learning and artificial forget in order to obtain the Electronic Brain.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 09:18 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles