Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> question about very uneven brain functioning
subduedjoy
post Dec 30, 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33865

My 30-year old daughter's brain seems to work differently than most brains. I wrote a list below of ways in which her brain functioning works differently than most. Does anyone have experience working with people similar to her or of studying the brain functioning of people similar to hers?

* Knew how to read when her peers were learning the alphabet.

* Was fluent in English and understood adult language at the age of two. (My husband and I tried to spell words out so she wouldn't understand us. Spelling out words didn't work for long though.)

* Was a child prodigy in art. She could copy any artist's style of art when she was a teenager and create (draw, paint, sculpt) something similar very rapidly and without making any errors.

* Her art is asymmetric. While most people's brains try to make symmetry out of asymmetry, hers doesn't. In fact, her world is more asymmetric than reality and yet it's very subtle, which gives it a very beautiful style.

* Had great difficulty understanding time and money. I don't think to her, time is constant. (I'm not sure. She's mentioned it, but how does one know?) She still does not understand many math concepts.

* Has and still has great difficulty learning how to drive a car yet is great at playing computer games. One reason she is so good at playing them is that she handles the controls based on how the programmer programmed the game, which is not necessary the same as what visually makes sense. For example, she'll shoot at the walls to kill the zombies that are behind them or she'll have the character jump at a spot that looks incorrect, yet the character makes the jump.

* And yet she still doesn't have her driver's license, just her permit. She goes in the wrong lanes, goes too fast when she should slow down, goes too slow when she should go faster, stops when she has the right of way, goes when she doesn't, turns the wheel too sharply or not sharply enough, ... She doesn't seem to understand the rules and yet she doesn't have any trouble passing the written exams to get her permits.

* Learned how to create websites by looking at other people's code. She was a javascript web developer for several years. Her code is messy and disorganized, but she is fast and her code works.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 07:47 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles