KoolK3n
post Oct 28, 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #1

Overlord

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33523

This was back in June.

Email I sent to friend:
According to my calculations. If you traveled meeting Mars at the shortest distance from Earth which is 54,000,000 km. And you used a Magnetoplasmadynamic thruster (Electrothermal Ion Engine) with a nuclear generator (Helium-3). The trip would only take 5.77 Days!!!!!!!!!

Of course you can't always go that speed because you would die, a few problems would arise:
-Muscle atrophy and deterioration of the skeleton, or spaceflight osteopenia
-The Sun's rays would be harmful if exposed to long
-Food would be scare

Solution to each problem:
-Create Artifical Gravity using a constant Linear Acceleration which isn't possible with Chemical Liquid Rockets, but is with an Ion thruster (Accelerate and decelerate to mars to create this artifical gravity) (Ship would have to be turned 90 degrees to have ship push down on you for effect) (Newtons second and third law)
-Develop some kind of magnetic field to block the rays away, similar to earth (I'm pretty sure that technology exists but I haven't found it)
-Develop a Hydroponic food system (Plants can grow in space)

What is surprising is that, this technology exists and has been for a nearly a decade. It is possible to colonize Mars RIGHT NOW with the current technology we have!
NASA can't think outside the box...
What do you think of all of this? Please be very descriptive and informative about what I said and your opinion about all of this

--

Response from Friend:
Alas, I have not yet taken physics or calclulus, thus I cannot yet calculate the trajectory of a moving body to accelerate and decelerate in a vacuum with respect to time, inertia, gamma or cosmic ray resistance, and let alone hypothetical "dark energy" force resistance (as well as planetary rotation and orbit possibly interfering). I have not yet taken Biology either, thus I cannot deduce the effects of speed on cell structures, but I agree that extended exposure to speed would likely cause atrophy, but I doubt any serious deterioration would occur over a flight of about six days. I also agree that long exposure to stellar winds could be harmful unless the ship had some kind of artificial magnetosphere. But, solar winds can consist of electrons and protons, thus ye would likely need two simultaneous magnetospheres to alleviate excess particles, but 'twould likely result in a weakening of the ship's protection of both fields neutralize each other.. Plants in space would be an excellent idea for maintaining oxygen levels, but 'twould be difficult to water them of provide them with direct sunlight. Ye could potentially create an artificial gravitational effect with feasible momentum and torque concurrency, but again, I have not yet taken physics. For the landing itself, NASA would have to develop a lander that was more fuel efficient (unlike the Apollo landers) and can ascend back up to an orbital shuttle several hundred kilometers above the surface. Or possibly even a shuttle that can physically land on the surface. 'Tis interesting to contemplate. Mein aunt is actually against the prospect of a Mars mission because she considers it "too costly to maintain" and that we must "deal with our own problems here." I find these words only more inspiring.. lolz

--

My Response:
I like what you said, that is also what I had in mind. But with a Hydrophonic gardening system with genetically modified plants. They can grow under spacecraft conditions. All it would require is some artifical light and water. Then BAM you got both an increase in food and oxygen while also decreasing the level of CO2 present. The only drawback is that the demand for water would be higher.

Yes, that is what I meant by Artifical Gravity. Linear Acceleration would be the most ideal because rotation wouldn't work for a small vessel similar to the size of the Discovery. If you are talking about a much larger space station, a ring such as from "Halo" would work because of it's size and mass. But that of course is way beyond what current technology and resources can sustain for now. That is all theoretical, but I do believe it would work. Linear acceleration, even at a low level, can provide sufficient g-force to provide useful benefits. Any spacecraft could, in theory, continuously accelerate in a straight line, forcing objects inside the spacecraft in the opposite direction of the direction of acceleration. Most chemical reaction rockets already accelerate at a sufficient rate to produce several times Earth's g-force but can only maintain these accelerations for several minutes because of a limited supply of fuel. A propulsion system with a very high specific impulse (that is, good efficiency in the use of reaction mass that must be carried along and used for propulsion on the journey) could accelerate more slowly producing useful levels of artificial gravity for long periods of time. Ion propulsion thrusters have very high specific impulse making it very ideal for Linear acceleration artifical gravity.

Another method could simply be magnetism. It requires magnets with extremely powerful magnetic fields. Such devices have been made that were able to levitate at most a small mouse and thus produced a 1 g field to cancel the Earth's; yet it required a magnet and system that weighed thousands of kilograms, was kept superconductive with expensive cryogenics, and required 6 megawatts of power to maintain. Something maybe to explore later.
--

What do you guys think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Magister Hayk
post Oct 29, 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #2

Overlord

Member No.: 33583

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Oct 28, 2011, 09:05 PM) *

Artifical Gravity.

Rumors say that if to take a superconducting disk and rotate it with very high speed then one can observe curious gravitational effect.

But those are rumors only.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Oct 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #3

Overlord

Remember, Artifical Gravity ≠ Anti-Gravity

Interesting video similar to what you've mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr_s28wIOzQ

He expands on his idea of a superfluid and superconductors producing anti-gravity effects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJ-4lnwrck

Another interesting interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzwOFCSFms4

I am not nearly qualified to judge the evidence presented, that is one reason why I post on Brainmeta.com
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Oct 29, 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #4

Demi-God

Member No.: 32635

I think using fuel, whatever it is, to keep an acceleration is a waste of energy. Check this link:
http://skepticsplay.blogspot.com/2008/01/r...-spaceship.html
Yes, you can have "gravitish" for free thanks to the continous rotation movement in space. Hydroponic gardens are a must in long journeis.
Have you wacht "sunshine"? Its a movie from 2007. Youd like it for many reasons, one of them is they have a garden at the spaceship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8BSlqHAhuY
"Pandorum" with its nice spaceship is quite enjoyable also.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Oct 29, 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #5

Overlord

QUOTE(Jakare @ Oct 29, 2011, 10:35 PM) *

I think using fuel, whatever it is, to keep an acceleration is a waste of energy. Check this link:
http://skepticsplay.blogspot.com/2008/01/r...-spaceship.html
Yes, you can have "gravitish" for free thanks to the continous rotation movement in space. Hydroponic gardens are a must in long journeis.
Have you wacht "sunshine"? Its a movie from 2007. Youd like it for many reasons, one of them is they have a garden at the spaceship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8BSlqHAhuY
"Pandorum" with its nice spaceship is quite enjoyable also.

Yes, I am aware of the centrifugal effect. It can be easily measured by 1. it's mass and 2. the radius. It would be a great solution to use for larger space stations. The practicality of that in the near future is unlikely. I mean building that tiny little spacecraft that we call the international space station was difficult. Imagine having a space station that uses the centrifugal effect, it would have to be much much larger which would prove impossible given todays situation. What I'm saying is that the construction of something that massive would be very expensive. And it wouldn't be suitable for long quick distant travels such as Mars. That is why I proposed the cheap method of linear acceleration to be used for now.

Few people are aware of Helium-3 existence. I highly recommend u watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2xChmfLlMo
Just as exciting as Cold Fusion!
If your interested in Cold Fusion, look up Rossi Ecat Energy Catalyzer.
I'm going to the University of Madison soon to check out the generator with a few buds smile.gif

Also check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetoplasmadynamic_thruster
Ion Thrusters are absolutely great for space travel. The only problem is the power requirement which could be met by Helium-3!!!!!!

Even if Hydroponic gardening is used, I would still worry about Oxygen levels. We would have to use every available space for plants. Plus, extreme consideration of crew members would need to be noted. If my simple minded calculations are correct, the caution for water use would be eliminated since the journey is only less than one week.

About the movie, well what can I say? I'm a sucker for gardening in space lol. I'll be sure to check it out when I get the chance. The plot is very similar to "The Core".

I'm gonna be a space pirate, lurking for unexpected H3 transport vessels
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Oct 29, 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #6

Overlord

Whoever controls the moon, will become the next BP. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Oct 29, 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #7

Demi-God

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Oct 30, 2011, 05:34 AM) *

About the movie, well what can I say? I'm a sucker for gardening in space lol. I'll be sure to check it out when I get the chance. The plot is very similar to "The Core".

I'm gonna be a space pirate, lurking for unexpected H3 transport vessels

Believe me "The core" was rubish compared to "sunshine".
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Oct 29, 2011, 09:26 PM
Post #8

Demi-God

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Oct 30, 2011, 05:34 AM) *

Few people are aware of Helium-3 existence. I highly recommend u watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2xChmfLlMo
Just as exciting as Cold Fusion!
If your interested in Cold Fusion, look up Rossi Ecat Energy Catalyzer.
I'm going to the University of Madison soon to check out the generator with a few buds smile.gif

I heard about it but at that moment wasnt bother. Have a nice time on your trip and be a good girl and dont steal anything ok? wink.gif Well, unless is something really cool you can show to us of course.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Oct 30, 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #9

Overlord

Haha thanks! Just trying to figure out the distortions in time during the trip. If the journey was one week for the crew members, how long would the people on Earth experience time? An additional second, minute, hour, day? The max speed of the engine is roughly 255,000MPH..
+Quote Post
Magister Hayk
post Nov 01, 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #10

Overlord

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Oct 29, 2011, 10:18 PM) *

Who knows, maybe science is just a branch of Magic.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Nov 01, 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #11

Overlord

QUOTE(Magister Hayk @ Nov 01, 2011, 09:18 PM) *

I thought it was? The word "science" was integrated to replace the word of "magic" for the sole purpose of preventing any accusation of witchcraft. o_0
+Quote Post
Magister Hayk
post Nov 01, 2011, 07:51 PM
Post #12

Overlord

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Nov 02, 2011, 06:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Magister Hayk @ Nov 01, 2011, 09:18 PM) *

I thought it was? The word "science" was integrated to replace the word of "magic" for the sole purpose of preventing any accusation of witchcraft. o_0

Golden words Mr. KoolK3n.
+Quote Post
Magister Hayk
post Nov 07, 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #13

Overlord

I think the time came to state some Magical concepts in rather more scientific way for new generation of children.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 06:50 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles