Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hormones
Landri
post Oct 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33670

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what hormones are involved with mental processes?

For example, I read that testosterone levels are linked with spatial memory. Would this be a direct or indirect relationship? (Ie. is the testosterone merely releasing more neurotransmitters or is it doing its unique biochemistry?)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 16, 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #2

God

Member No.: 5877

My personal belief is that eicosanoids are the real hormones of interest. Pregnenolone, DHEA, vassopressin may be of interest to you. Hormones act indirectly by creating a signaling cascade, but to be fair, everything dealing with the brain is not just poorly understood, but horribly understood. Best to steer clear of hormones (with the exception of altering eicosanoids, and all other hormones for that matter directly through diet).
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #3

God

Member No.: 5877

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/186/4/275.full
+Quote Post
Landri
post Oct 29, 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 33670

After going on andro patches I can definitively say testosterone impacts working memory and long term memory. When I was on ketoconazole (which took my T below 200ng/dL) I noticed it took longer to retrieve information and my mental chalk board was smaller... that is I could not do arithmetic as fast as I couldn't visualize that many digits in my head. Encoding information seemed to be harder too. I confirmed these observations with dual n-back games, my scores were maybe 10-30% lower. These things were literally resolved overnight with the andro patch. It almost felt like taking a stimulant... I felt more charged, animated... but unfortunately more impulsive.

Now this was only fixing a deficiency. I wonder what would happen if one raised their T to higher levels. Unfortunately body builders aren't the best people to hold conversations with. It would be interesting to know.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 12:34 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles