Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brain Linking?
Brainbits
post Sep 28, 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33622

Hello All,

First, I apologize if this topic is in the incorrect forum. If so, a moderator may move it to a more applicable location.

Out of curiosity and inability to find answers elsewhere, I was wondering if it's possible for two people to have brain activity that is somehow linked or synchronized. I'm not necessarily talking telepathy but something sub conscious. The reason I ask is because I tend to feel what my fiance feels (somewhat). We've been together for almost 8 years now and I noticed in the past year that we share similar discomforts around the same time. For example, if she has a headache or is generally feeling out of sorts then so am I or vice versa. This is before one is aware of the other person's pain or mood. In addition to "feeling" we also tend to have similar thoughts. For example, the other night while we both lay in bed falling asleep I thought about my mother who passed away earlier this year. The next day my fiance told me how she thought about my mother the previous night but I had never mentioned that I also thought about her. I don't know if it was just a coincidence but this has happened several times with different topics. This morning I felt really strange (light-headed, fuzzy brained, lack of concentration) and later found out that my fiance went home early from work because she thinks she has a sinus infection. I did not know she was having any discomfort until that moment.

So...it may be nothing and just a bunch of coincidences but I thought I would look into it anyway. I'm hoping somebody might be able to shed a little light on this. Is there any possibility that two brains can share similar frequencies so to speak?

Thanks!

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 28, 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Demi-God

Member No.: 32635

And thatīs not the most misterious. Statisticaly married men live 7 years longer than single men...Men with a pregnant wife can develop pregnant symptoms...
+Quote Post
aethor
post Sep 29, 2011, 04:15 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 32629

That must be what sarcasm is right?

Brainbits: I would recommend borrowing the book The Body Electric at your library. Haven't finished the book yet, but the topic covered is definitely within your interest. There should be other books on the subject as well. Think I have some of them bookmarked or on my wishlist on Amazon. The list is very long though, so I won't take the time to dig out relevant books just now. Haven't read any of them either, so I wouldn't be able to recommend them.
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 29, 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #4

Demi-God

QUOTE(aethor @ Sep 29, 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Wasnīt really.
+Quote Post
Brainbits
post Sep 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Jakare @ Sep 28, 2011, 11:04 PM) *

And thatīs not the most misterious. Statisticaly married men live 7 years longer than single men...Men with a pregnant wife can develop pregnant symptoms...

I don't doubt it unless the men piss off their wives then they may lose 7 years.

QUOTE(aethor @ Sep 29, 2011, 08:15 AM) *

Brainbits: I would recommend borrowing the book The Body Electric at your library. Haven't finished the book yet, but the topic covered is definitely within your interest. There should be other books on the subject as well. Think I have some of them bookmarked or on my wishlist on Amazon. The list is very long though, so I won't take the time to dig out relevant books just now. Haven't read any of them either, so I wouldn't be able to recommend them.

Thanks for the info! I'll download that book onto my Kindle.
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 29, 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #6

Demi-God

Yep, marriage can be a sort of win or lose thing.
Anyway althought i think there are several situations influencing your synchronism like eating at more or less the same ours the more or less same foods, going to bed and waking up about the same time, it would be really interesting to know the hidden mechanism of that extra 7 years living. Think about it there is hardly any supplement, drug or exercise that can give you such a present.
Of course, the body electric book can have some interenting clues...
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #7

Demi-God

Uh and what about body language?

http://changingminds.org/explanations/beha...dy_language.htm

http://blog.audiogettingrichscience.com/bo...3-mind-reading/
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 29, 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #8

God

Member No.: 5877

QUOTE(Jakare @ Sep 29, 2011, 11:43 AM) *

Yep, marriage can be a sort of win or lose thing.
Anyway althought i think there are several situations influencing your synchronism like eating at more or less the same ours the more or less same foods, going to bed and waking up about the same time, it would be really interesting to know the hidden mechanism of that extra 7 years living. Think about it there is hardly any supplement, drug or exercise that can give you such a present.
Of course, the body electric book can have some interenting clues...

Having a support network, someone you can rely on no matter what, is probably the cause. Same effect has been noted in people who go to church. I hardly think God is the reason for this smile.gif

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/spir...e-longer?page=2
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 29, 2011, 02:19 PM
Post #9

Demi-God

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 29, 2011, 11:13 PM) *

Having a support network, someone you can rely on no matter what, is probably the cause. Same effect has been noted in people who go to church. I hardly think God is the reason for this smile.gif

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/spir...e-longer?page=2

Shoul be that because Iīm having a hard job imaging how being an old complaining bastard living with another old complaining controlling git/cow to argue with gives to you 7 years just by itself.

Oh! It talks about spirituality not religion!!! So it doesnīt really matter which one you choose. He, he, i can use that to piss off some radical minds around here smile.gif
But, hummm...iīm not sure going to a church faking faith for the sake of the life extension would work the same. Anyway can be stunnigly funny to see all the crap young people can swallow without a blink, i know because i was that way a few years ago...
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 29, 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #10

God

Lol you should see the churches in the midwest! It really makes me want to be a Christian. I kid you not, one of our favorite venues to play on tour was a church in Missouri. They had a full skate park (desgned by the XGames designers) a huge arcade, 12 rock walls, and a 750 person venue with an awesome sound system + full bar with free mixed drinks (non-alcoholic only of course lol). They also had a little hotel suite for the bands to stay in for free, and a super bomb barbeque out back. It is a shame that communities can only come together to provide awesomeness like that in the name of God...
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #11

Overlord

Member No.: 33523

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 29, 2011, 06:01 PM) *

Lol you should see the churches in the midwest! It really makes me want to be a Christian. I kid you not, one of our favorite venues to play on tour was a church in Missouri. They had a full skate park (desgned by the XGames designers) a huge arcade, 12 rock walls, and a 750 person venue with an awesome sound system + full bar with free mixed drinks (non-alcoholic only of course lol). They also had a little hotel suite for the bands to stay in for free, and a super bomb barbeque out back. It is a shame that communities can only come together to provide awesomeness like that in the name of God...

In my opinion religion and spirituality are better together than either one is alone. Religion can give you a community and a well-considered path to help you along your spiritual journey. However, if religion is lacking in individual spiritual experience, it can become just a mindless habit and can be devoid of any true meaning. Something that Flex has described with churches in the midwest.

Nondenominational at the moment. I'm most likely somewhere on the Protestant side of the spectrum.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 29, 2011, 07:45 PM
Post #12

God

I find myself somewhere between the rock wall, and the skate park. Leaning more towards the rock wall.
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #13

Demi-God

And I am just over here. If god wants something from me he knows where to find me, iīm all ears.

About the midwest churches i think is fair theyīve got something on reward. They are paying a high price after all.

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Sep 30, 2011, 05:12 AM) *

Religion can give you a community and a well-considered path to help you along your spiritual journey.

And religion can give you a big fat lie to live in. Which is perfect as long you donīt really seek for any true, or reallity is just to unbearable. Iīm sorry KoolK3n Iīm burned out.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 30, 2011, 06:51 AM
Post #14

God

It is funny, my Dad is bipolar, and since abandoning the Catholic church has lived a much more fulfilling life and has not experienced has significantly less manic depressive symptoms. I believe this is because of the notion of sin, and eternal damnation. He felt guilty for everything he had done in his past. After persuading his to consider a different type of spirituality (pseudo Buddhism) he no longer worries about eternal damnation, and is living a happier healthier life.

He said to me something along the lines of, 'fuck God! Why should I pay for some shit I did when I was a little ass kid?' My sentiments exactly smile.gif
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 30, 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #15

Overlord

Member No.: 33523

Of course sprituality can thrive without religion. The terms spiritual and religious can be interlocked. While you can be spritual without any association to a particular religion. To be truly religious, one must pursue spirituality which currently can be difficult for the majority of people. I'm just arguing that religion can create the type of community Flex described.

Look, we could debate for countless hours on religion. I think both sides of the argument have some really good points. At my age, I think asking questions is more relevant than to answering them.
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 30, 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #16

Demi-God

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Sep 30, 2011, 11:20 PM) *

At my age, I think asking questions is more relevant than to answering them.

Only a incredibly wise person would have made such statement, you amaze me (Joking mode on, Koolk3n will understand) smile.gif

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Sep 30, 2011, 11:20 PM) *

The terms spiritual and religious can be interlocked.

Sometimes instead of being interlocked they get confused.

Anyway coming back to the subject something funny happened today. My own partner keeps saying lately we are connected and seems like i could read his mind. wink.gif He was cooking dinner and i told to him if he would fancy to share a guinnes, apparently he was distracted although answered "yes". After a minute or so i appeared into the kitchen with two glasses and he said "how did you know i needed two glasses for the bear?", "I just offered that to you a minute ago" i said, "no you didnīt", "yes i did" "no, your reading my mind again", "Ok, whatever but i want my guinnes" smile.gif
Later on he told me "guess what weīre having for dinner", "well, lentils stew, isnīt it?", "yes, but what else?", and i answered "and pork". His jaw droped to the table "how do you know that? your reading my mind!!!", "look sweetheart, there is a light on the oven and i can easily see it from the sitting room" smile.gif
"oh, wow your so aware of your surroundings, you donīt miss one do you?" I said nothing to that smile.gif
+Quote Post
Brainbits
post Oct 01, 2011, 09:35 AM
Post #17

Well this discussion went in a direction I wasn't expecting...lol.
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Oct 01, 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #18

Demi-God

QUOTE(Brainbits @ Oct 01, 2011, 07:35 PM) *

Well this discussion went in a direction I wasn't expecting...lol.

Well, wellcome to Brainmeta. That use to happens a lot, lol.
+Quote Post
aethor
post Oct 11, 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 32629

Brainbits: I just opened up The Body Electric and realized I gave you a false recommendation. I'm a little confused right now as to what book I was thinking of, but The Body Electric clearly isn't the one. It is worth reading even though it doesn't cover the topic. If you already bought the book I can offer a fund to cover the expenses. I have paypal.
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Oct 11, 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #20

God

Member No.: 4768

QUOTE(Brainbits @ Sep 28, 2011, 09:47 AM) *

Hello All,

First, I apologize if this topic is in the incorrect forum. If so, a moderator may move it to a more applicable location.

Out of curiosity and inability to find answers elsewhere, I was wondering if it's possible for two people to have brain activity that is somehow linked or synchronized. I'm not necessarily talking telepathy but something sub conscious. The reason I ask is because I tend to feel what my fiance feels (somewhat). We've been together for almost 8 years now and I noticed in the past year that we share similar discomforts around the same time. For example, if she has a headache or is generally feeling out of sorts then so am I or vice versa. This is before one is aware of the other person's pain or mood. In addition to "feeling" we also tend to have similar thoughts. For example, the other night while we both lay in bed falling asleep I thought about my mother who passed away earlier this year. The next day my fiance told me how she thought about my mother the previous night but I had never mentioned that I also thought about her. I don't know if it was just a coincidence but this has happened several times with different topics. This morning I felt really strange (light-headed, fuzzy brained, lack of concentration) and later found out that my fiance went home early from work because she thinks she has a sinus infection. I did not know she was having any discomfort until that moment.

So...it may be nothing and just a bunch of coincidences but I thought I would look into it anyway. I'm hoping somebody might be able to shed a little light on this. Is there any possibility that two brains can share similar frequencies so to speak?

Thanks!

Mike

This is a common phenomenon, they did tests on this back in the 80's of people who claimed to have a telepathic connection with each other. When put under laboratory conditions they found what these people actually had was a highly developed form of subtle body language. You know your fiancé so you already know how shes likely to react in a situation, what her needs or wants could be at any given time, etc. Combine this with body language and its very easy to see how you would know what she is thinking, and so on.
+Quote Post
bropane
post Sep 11, 2012, 08:15 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 34511

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 30, 2011, 07:51 AM) *

It is funny, my Dad is bipolar, and since abandoning the Catholic church has lived a much more fulfilling life and has not experienced has significantly less manic depressive symptoms. I believe this is because of the notion of sin, and eternal damnation. He felt guilty for everything he had done in his past. After persuading his to consider a different type of spirituality (pseudo Buddhism) he no longer worries about eternal damnation, and is living a happier healthier life.

He said to me something along the lines of, 'F**K God! Why should I pay for some shit I did when I was a little ass kid?' My sentiments exactly smile.gif

I know exactly what he means. I was never diagnosed as bipolar but I grew up Christian. In six grade I was the absolute worst mentally I've ever been because of the amount of guilt I would feel going through puberty and looking at women. I even had a couple gray hairs on my head. Eventually like your father I said "F**K it" and I've lived a better life ever since.
+Quote Post
Alan peterson
post Mar 25, 2015, 03:39 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 37602

I thought about my mother who passed away earlier this year. The next day my fiance told me how she thought about my mother the previous night but I had never mentioned that I also thought about her.
+Quote Post
modnerd
post May 31, 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 37706

Quantumn tunneling may be a scientific mechanism behind this phenomenon
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 04:35 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright Đ BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles