Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adrenal Tumor, Advice on supplementation
Phi
post Sep 22, 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #1

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 25755

A family member of mine just found out she has an adrenal tumor; it consistently causes excess fatigue and numerous other symptoms. I figured this would be a good place to start my search on supplements that could help her out in the meantime while she receives the necessary treatment. Any suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 22, 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Demi-God

Member No.: 32635

Iīm so sorry to hear that. I think your best bet to start researching could be...

Curcumin:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21859497

Cinnamon extract:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2407/10/392

Maybe melatonin but this one is more related to prevention...and so it is vit D3...

And there is a theory i canīt remember where i red about that explains the posibility of killing cancer cell via oxidative damage. Having a high metabolism make them prone to suffer oxidative damage from a given mega-high dose of an antioxidant.

Donīt forget to comment if you find anything interesting, ok?
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 23, 2011, 05:19 AM
Post #3

Overlord

Member No.: 33523

QUOTE(Jakare @ Sep 22, 2011, 10:49 PM) *

Having a high metabolism make them prone to suffer oxidative damage from a given mega-high dose of an antioxidant.

WTF! I haven't been sick for almost the whole year, but after a couple of days consuming 400MG of Catechin & Polyphenols plus 500MG of Resveratrol I become very ill (Partly why I haven't been on the forums much recently). (I tried splitting the capsules in half, but it got a little too messy. So after I recovered I halted my consumption of Resveratrol, because I thought that was way too much and then after a few days of not taking Catechin, Polyphenols, or Resveratrol I was fine. But a week later, I started taking Catechin and Polyphenols again and a couple of days later, I was sick again. This whole week, I've been sick and it's getting really annoying. I believe my metabolism is very high as I eat a lot but am of very little weight. Only 130 pounds. What do you think?

*Of course Phi's relative has my deepest sincerity and respect
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 23, 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #4

Demi-God

Member No.: 32635

Maybe you and Phi would find this link useful:
http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2011/09...upplementation/
And the web page itself is really interesting.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 23, 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #5

God

Member No.: 5877

Go through Heber's publications. Most of the studies are on popular cancers for obvious reasons, but it probably wouldn't hurt for most forms.
http://research.mednet.ucla.edu/institutio...rsonnel_id=8464
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Overlord

QUOTE(Jakare @ Sep 23, 2011, 10:30 PM) *

Maybe you and Phi would find this link useful:
http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2011/09...upplementation/
And the web page itself is really interesting.

ARGGGGG! He mentioned twice that antioxidant supplements may increase immune system stress that could have lead to illness. Up to this point, I've been completely unaware of any possible negative side effects of antioxidant supplements. Was definitely worth reading. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 23, 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #7

God

That is because your immune system relies on free radicals to kill pathogens lol. Free radical is not always a negative term (although the media will tell you otherwise). The electron transport chain could not function without free radical production.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 24, 2011, 08:02 AM
Post #8

Overlord

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 23, 2011, 11:57 PM) *

That is because your immune system relies on free radicals to kill pathogens lol. Free radical is not always a negative term (although the media will tell you otherwise). The electron transport chain could not function without free radical production.

Gee thanks. Ugh, at least the guinea pig (I) confirmed it. Would people with very slow metabolisms (very obese) also encounter the same results as I did?
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 24, 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #9

God

Well there isn't really a fast answer. The electron transport chain shuttles radicals around like crazy. It doesn't matter if you have a fast or slow metabolism, but rather if your body is adequately synthesizing endogenous antioxidants like SOD, catalase, glutathione etc.

An example of this would be exposure to Rotenone causing Parkinson's disease. There is a certain average % of electron back flow through cytochrome C (don't remember off the top of my head) and when the shuttling through this cytochrome is inhibited that % increases causing free radical leakage, resulting in severe oxidative stress.

A simple way to look at "anti-oxidants" is to this of what it really implies. Oxidation is the process by which our bodies convert sugar to produce usable forms of energy. Without oxidation you wouldn't be alive. There are certain instances when antioxidants can act as pro-oxidents. Antioxidant is just a convenient marketing tool that has nothing to do with science. For instance, if you put a Buckyball through an ORAC (Oxidative Radical Absorption Capacity) test, the numbers would indicate that it is a phenomenal antioxidant far surpassing any polyphenols, vitamins, etc. This does not take into account that in your body that doesn't matter one bit!

The best way to get your "antioxidants" is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Isolated chemicals are just that--isolated chemicals. To study the 60,000+ chemicals we encounter every day independently and in combination is just not feasible in the span of a lifetime. It would take hundreds of years of detailed records and immense computing power to make any meaningful sense. Let nature do the work for you.

As far as your sickness is concerned, your metabolism is probably irrelevant. Your immune system utilized free radical production to kill pathogens. This is a separate issue.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11361018
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14989264
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18446846

Search any antioxidant you like, and you will get just see more of the same smile.gif What is important is to help your body to optimize itself, via up regulation of 'antioxidant' enzyme synthesis. The only way I have really learned to do so is through eating your fruits and veggies, in the way they were intended to be eaten. Whole and intact. No sense in fighting thousands and thousands of years of evolution. That said, cut the milk and animal products. These have only been around what 10,000 years or so? We most certainly are not adapted to eat the quantities of these foods most people do.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 24, 2011, 08:52 AM
Post #10

God

http://www.cancercurecoalition.org/article...nandcancer.html

Obviously I have a man crush on Dr. Heber, but it is for good reason. He is one of very few professors I have ever had with actual integrity, and the only doctor I have ever met who's primary motivation is to improve society.

Grab a copy of his book if you want some good guidelines. I do not benefit from sales of his book in any way, I just fully support the message.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 24, 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #11

Overlord

Alright I'll definitely check it out. Are you referring to the "What Color Is Your Diet?" book?
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 24, 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #12

God

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Sep 24, 2011, 10:17 AM) *

Alright I'll definitely check it out. Are you referring to the "What Color Is Your Diet?" book?

Yep smile.gif
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 24, 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #13

God

Oh btw, I also suggest everyone watch the documentary Forks Over Knives. Especially you Phi! It will save you a lot of time reading a bunch of science garbage, and give you the facts. The best part is, you can test it yourself. What more could you ask for?
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 24, 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #14

Overlord

Why do people say cow milk is bad for humans? A few years ago, I refused to drink milk because of rBST and rBGH. But they are now gone, so what's left to worry about?
I'm taking calcium and vitamin D supplements so that should cover the possible adverse effects of calcium in dairy products. Plus, I am not lactose intolerance. Even with consuming three glasses of 1% of milk a day, my saturated fat diet is much lower than the DV. I don't think the argument with evolution can be made with dairy, soy could be used in the same argument. 99.9% of what we do goes against what evolution has taught us. Once I'm older, I'll most likely change my diet. But right now, I just don't have the money to afford buying the constant alternative foods.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 25, 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #15

God

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%...al.pone.0000071

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12198602

http://www.lincoln.ac.nz/Documents/4079_id...s_be_s14210.pdf

Humans are the only organism I am aware of that drinks the milk of another species. This eliminates any sort of evolutionary basis for milk consumption. It is the protein casein itself that is the culprit. Go watch Forks Over Knives--you will enjoy it I promise. It breaks everything down in such a way that anyone can clearly understand the problem at hand. Simply stated, the problem is government and corporate influence!
+Quote Post
aethor
post Sep 25, 2011, 06:56 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 32629

That still doesn't convince me that raw organic milk is bad for you. The research I have come across states the opposite. And I don't even consume milk since I'm lactose intolerant.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 25, 2011, 07:23 AM
Post #17

God

Check the funding on the research you have come across. 99% of the research you come across will say the opposite. That is because scientists don't want to lose their jobs. One only needs to look at the food pyramid to see the conflict of interest. One need only look at the fact that you yourself are lactose intolerant to see the evidence!

The studies simply have not been done yet. It is probably safe to say that epidemiological studies take this into consideration, as thousands of poor rural communities are included. The overwhelming consensus of such studies is exactly as I have stated.

Here is a perfect example: http://www.ajcn.org/content/74/1/80.short Can you spot the flaws? If you cannot, then the author has done a pretty good job of concealing them in the details, because simply put, all studies based off the DASH diet are (at least in part) shit, aimed at promoting the dairy industry.
+Quote Post
aethor
post Sep 25, 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #18

Well. I can see the study you linked me to is useless. But my father and all his siblings where all fed raw milk when they where growing up. The same goes for many other older people in the community I grew up in, in Norway. And they all have strong builds with well proportioned skeletal development in contrary to my generation.
The research I most often come across is from authors who want to advocate the benefits of raw organic milk as opposed to homogenized and pasteurized milk from unhealthy cows.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 25, 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #19

God

I cannot speak for Norway, but I damn sure know that there is no such thing as a healthy cow in the United States (or at least very few, and they are not producing milk, they are producing the equivalent of kobe beef). Certainly you can live a healthy happy life and consume dairy. It is a choice for each individual to make. If you think soy ice cream sucks (which many of them do lol) then more power to you! Eat the real ice cream, it taste a whole hell of a lot better. But there is no denying that milk is not a necessary part of a well balanced diet, and it should not be advocated for by governments raw or otherwise.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #20

Overlord

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 25, 2011, 12:20 PM) *

I cannot speak for Norway, but I damn sure know that there is no such thing as a healthy cow in the United States (or at least very few, and they are not producing milk, they are producing the equivalent of kobe beef). Certainly you can live a healthy happy life and consume dairy. It is a choice for each individual to make. If you think soy ice cream sucks (which many of them do lol) then more power to you! Eat the real ice cream, it taste a whole hell of a lot better. But there is no denying that milk is not a necessary part of a well balanced diet, and it should not be advocated for by governments raw or otherwise.

Maybe when I become a multi-millionaire, I'll buy Kobe beef smile.gif
To some extent I agree, I think a limit has to put on dairy products. The demand is way beyond what supply can handle, which is why they treat the cows like shit.
Besides soy milk, what are other alternatives to cow milk?
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #21

Overlord

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 25, 2011, 09:38 AM) *

Go watch Forks Over Knives--you will enjoy it I promise. It breaks everything down in such a way that anyone can clearly understand the problem at hand. Simply stated, the problem is government and corporate influence!

The problem is a centralized government with a corporate agenda. Resolving this issue would be extremely difficult to achieve.

I really enjoyed watching Food Inc, Super Size Me, and King Corn. I've always advocated those kinds of movies but no one would ever listen to the food conspiracy nut head. Whether it is flouride, MSG, vaccines, rBGH/rBST, GMO, etc. The only reason I haven't seen Forks Over Knives yet is because it slipped past my radar, so I'll check it out soon. Do you by any chance know where I can view it for free?
+Quote Post
aethor
post Sep 25, 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #22

Goat milk? Or what about almond milk; I think you have to make that yourself though.

Flex: I agree, you could definitely have a sufficient diet without dairy. I rest my case on defending the benefits of consuming milk as I at the time am unable to recollect the knowledge I once came upon. Also I'm too lazy to dig out the sources.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 25, 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #23

Overlord

I love how we're debating milk on a Sunday
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 25, 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #24

God

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Sep 25, 2011, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 25, 2011, 09:38 AM) *

Go watch Forks Over Knives--you will enjoy it I promise. It breaks everything down in such a way that anyone can clearly understand the problem at hand. Simply stated, the problem is government and corporate influence!

The problem is a centralized government with a corporate agenda. Resolving this issue would be extremely difficult to achieve.

I really enjoyed watching Food Inc, Super Size Me, and King Corn. I've always advocated those kinds of movies but no one would ever listen to the food conspiracy nut head. Whether it is flouride, MSG, vaccines, rBGH/rBST, GMO, etc. The only reason I haven't seen Forks Over Knives yet is because it slipped past my radar, so I'll check it out soon. Do you by any chance know where I can view it for free?

If you have a Netflix account it is on there. Might be able to get it free somehow through Facebooks new partnership with them, but I haven't tried. Spotify on Facebook is super legit smile.gif
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 25, 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #25

God

QUOTE(aethor @ Sep 25, 2011, 11:08 AM) *

Goat milk? Or what about almond milk; I think you have to make that yourself though.

Flex: I agree, you could definitely have a sufficient diet without dairy. I rest my case on defending the benefits of consuming milk as I at the time am unable to recollect the knowledge I once came upon. Also I'm too lazy to dig out the sources.

Haha all things in moderation right? In the United States, you can buy soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk the list goes on! The best alternative is of course the most available--soy milk. The chocolate soy milk will change your life, I promise smile.gif

As far as alternatives go, I might add the elimination of high fructose corn syrup from the diet as well. Unless it is essential in the preparation of the food, such as in certain cooking applications, in which the fructose molecules are used to limit glucose crystal growth, it is absolutely unnecessary i.e. sugared sodas.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 25, 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #26

Overlord

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 25, 2011, 02:54 PM) *

Haha all things in moderation right? In the United States, you can buy soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk the list goes on! The best alternative is of course the most available--soy milk. The chocolate soy milk will change your life, I promise smile.gif

OMFG u did it again! I'll give them all a try and hopefully incorporate them into my diet smile.gif
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 25, 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #27

God

I am not really a fan of any of the other "milks" out there, but the chocolate light ohh...

Oh and for those of you who think you need meat etc. check it out!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-m...getarians021711
+Quote Post
Phi
post Sep 25, 2011, 03:15 PM
Post #28

God

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 24, 2011, 07:11 PM) *

Oh btw, I also suggest everyone watch the documentary Forks Over Knives. Especially you Phi! It will save you a lot of time reading a bunch of science garbage, and give you the facts. The best part is, you can test it yourself. What more could you ask for?

I enjoy reading the science garbage, I just don't happen to comment much when it comes to that since I'm satisfied with it. Why did you pick me for watching this though?
+Quote Post
Phi
post Sep 25, 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #29

God

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 25, 2011, 12:54 PM) *

As far as alternatives go, I might add the elimination of high fructose corn syrup from the diet as well. Unless it is essential in the preparation of the food, such as in certain cooking applications, in which the fructose molecules are used to limit glucose crystal growth, it is absolutely unnecessary i.e. sugared sodas.

I say almond milk over soy milk...I enjoy the flavor and how I feel
+Quote Post
Phi
post Sep 25, 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #30

God

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 25, 2011, 02:41 PM) *

I am not really a fan of any of the other "milks" out there, but the chocolate light ohh...

Oh and for those of you who think you need meat etc. check it out!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-m...getarians021711

I don't think anybody would think they NEED meat if they tried facon, but I do enjoy meat a couple times a week. Another reason is that when ingesting alternatives, it seems like you spend more time eating, where meat can hold you over for a few more hours[just in my common experiences(im sure there are plenty of ways to prepare alternatives that would hold me over longer, just less convenient)].

BUT, I don't seem to be getting much info on direct supplements. I have been giving my family member maca, and she seems to be responding well to it, although the effects of maca are just overall great.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright Đ BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog