Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Review of MindWave
KoolK3n
post Sep 13, 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #1

Overlord

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33523

Does it work? What are your thoughts on the device? Is it worth it?

http://store.neurosky.com/products/mindwave-1
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Yoder
post Sep 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #2

Aspiring

Member No.: 31895

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Sep 13, 2011, 08:47 AM) *

Does it work? What are your thoughts on the device? Is it worth it?

http://store.neurosky.com/products/mindwave-1

Never tried it but it looks pretty cool.. I remember that Star Wars was promoting a brain wave game a while back where you try to move a ball by thinking about it. Anybody ever tried one of those out? I imagine if it worked better, they would have been a bigger deal.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 13, 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #3

Overlord

Yeah I saw many reviews for star wars product, and it didn't turn out good. Average ratings were 3 out of 5 stars. I can't find reviews on the Mindwave, so that is why I'm asking here lol
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 13, 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #4

Demi-God

Member No.: 32635

Well i actually tried OCZ NIA
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-nia--neu...ctuator-review/
It didnīt work very well and finally got it back to the shop. I think the problem was with interferences on the signal.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 14, 2011, 04:56 AM
Post #5

Overlord

Did you just confess you're a gamer?
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 14, 2011, 05:31 AM
Post #6

Demi-God

Kind of, i just manage to finish a game or two a year, itīs quite a time consuming hobby, so iīm not a hardcore gamer. I just think thatīs the future off computer interfaces but unfurtatelly their still not well implemented.
I keep an eye on them anyway. For example another very promising device is the Kinnect the microsoft, it can be implemented to control software just with your webcam and your movements. If we add a good speech recognition we can get rid off keyboards and mouses.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 14, 2011, 08:03 AM
Post #7

Overlord

Yes I own the Kinect! Though the implimentations of it being integrated into video games has been limited, it is very interesting. On the other hand, the Playstation Move fails to be creative but does succeed where the kinect and wii failed. The move is basically an advanced version of the wii that can play multiple popular shooter games. The cost prohibitibed me to buy just one. What I really hope to get soon is a 3DTV more than anything. Couple that with the move and you have something absolutely mind-blowing!

The game Mass Effect 3 will implement a kinect speech recognition voice feature. So for instance, usually in games you sometimes have the opportunity to allow your characters to make a decision. (i.e. Fallout 3, New Vegas). But your actually character cannot talk and you have to press a button to make a decision. But anyway since you are kinda into video games. I highly highly recommend getting the game Mass Effect 2. That game inspired me to become a member of brainmeta.com! It came out January 2010, and the third one will come out March 6, 2012. It won multiple game of the year awards...so PLAY IT! (It is only $10)

Here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Sep 14, 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #8

Overlord

Well that and The Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Inception.
+Quote Post
Jakare
post Sep 14, 2011, 09:45 AM
Post #9

Demi-God

Actually Mass Effect 2 is the next one in my list and is ready in my shelf waiting for me to have time.
I just finish dragon age: origins last month and i really enjoyed as iīm not very fond of pure shooters.
Another old glory is Vampire Bloodlines one of my favorites.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Oct 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #10

Overlord

Imagine technologies such as the MindWave advancing in the next decade. We may be able to control the movement of robots through our mind. Woahh...
+Quote Post
aethor
post Oct 14, 2011, 10:11 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 32629

Mass Effect 1 > Mass Effect 2
+Quote Post
Jon Cowan
post Nov 09, 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 33725

Unfortunately, the NeuroSky MindWave is really not reliable or well supported. I tried to use this system with the OpenEEG interface and BioExplorer, a very common system used by thousands of biofeedback trainers around the world. I found that it was not possible to get a clean signal and hold it for long. The metal electrode constantly makes very small movements on the forehead, creating a lot of noise. Worse yet, it tends to fall off because they didn't even bother to use a spring to hold it there, as they had on a previous design. This was similar to the experience of a well established researcher, Dean Radin of the Institute of Noetic Sciences, who reported about how most of his research trials with a NeuroSky system were ruined by bad signals at a recent meeting of the Society for Scientific Exploration.
When I approached Jake Chuang, the CTO and COO of NeuroSky, he didn't deny the problem or offer to try to fix it. He was content to continue to offer and ballyhoo defective merchandise, stating "I have not try this myself, but a university researcher claims that he could get signal as good as the medical grade sensors by putting a wet cotton cosmetic pad on the MindSet."
Our system, the Peak BrainHappiness Trainer, obtains a much cleaner signal by using sponge sensors moistened with salt water to measure the EEG. Any small movement problems are eliminated by the flexible sponge. We use a specialized version of BioExplorer, a commercially available biofeedback system to process our data. When I tried to test the NeuroSky through the Open EEG interface, porting the raw data into BioExplorer, one of the two designs I used (for Focus and Alertness) consistently froze the computer except for a howl that kept getting louder and louder until I shut it down. I had run this design hundreds of times with our equipment with nothing similar. Once again, Jake refused to make any effort to fix it.
More recently, I saw that NeuroSky was ballyhooing the release of a headband with sensors on their website. Nothing new--we've been offering the SensorBand for years. Bands do hold our Sensors to the head well. So I asked their sales department if they would substitute a band for the semi-functional MindSet. I wote twice, and I have not heard back at all.
Then again, their misbehavior should be no surprise to me. The first time I met with them it became very clear that they were violating my patent with their "Attention" protocol. They had tried to buy the patent but I refused their offer. They proceeded to build their equipment anyway. Eventually, they settled for an undisclosed sum, but I'm afraid they continue to act unethically.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright Đ BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog