BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What causes us to stop developing and start aging/degrading?
Yoder
post Aug 11, 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Aspiring

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 31895

Just out of curiostiy...

What are the mechanisms that cause our bodies to go into degradation and stop developing or maintain peak health? I assume our genetic code tells the body when to stop developing but are there any theories as to why?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Aug 17, 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #2

God

Member No.: 4768

no its a specific chromosome if im correct, it has 43 deviations, after the chromosome splits 43 times it starts to degrade the DNA (aka aging). When DNA splits to make more DNA a little bit of it gets cut off each time. The name for what gets cut off is on the tip of my tongue.

Anyways there is a reason for it. Cancer. This limited splitting is one of the things that helps contain cancer. Aging is an evolutionary defense against cancers. However, sometimes the chromosome gets taken over by the cancer anyways and the cancer can multiply as much as it wants.

Anyways this is why we age, this chromosome, which prevents cells from randomly going off and growing like crazy and killing us. Anyways the specifics are fuzzy to me, its been years since i read up on it, so if anyone has corrections feel free to chime in.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Aug 17, 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #3

God

Member No.: 5877

Close enough answer smile.gif Don't we all wish someone actually knew lol.

I believe Max is referring to telomeres; however, it is important to keep in mind that we don't really know the full picture, hence you see all sorts of stuff advertised about antioxidants etc. but no one is actually any healthier.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 01:33 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles