BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting off of Dextroamphetamine (ADD, etc)
JackMcCoy
post Oct 04, 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33122

Hello,

My name is Jack and I am a web designer/developer and programmer. I have been diagnosed with ADD, mild-depression, and generalized anxiety disorder. After 40-50 different drugs, I am tired of all the pharmaceuticals. I have been on every SSRI I can think of, and most (common) benzos.

Currently, I am taking 4x10mg Dextroampetamine and 3x2mg Clonazepam each day.

The Dex worked fairly well for a long time. I was able to concentrate and the side-effects weren't too bad. After a year or so, though, its starting to get very bad. I started with a dose of 2x10mg, and since then it has doubled. The Dex is now causing me horrible insomnia and my creativity has nearly disappeared. Without it, though, its hard for me to even keep a decent conversation.

Its become apparent that ADD is the cause of my other symptoms. When I cannot concentrate, I get very anxious. And that anxiety leads to me removing myself from social situations, resulting in depression.

So, does anyone think nootropics could help me? Where should I start? I cannot quickly ween off of the Clonazepam, so I'd like to replace the Dexedrine first. I am addicted to both, clearly, but the withdraw from a benzo is not something I want to take on at the moment.

Any suggestions on something I could safely take with Clonazepam?

Thanks,
Jack
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Phi
post Oct 05, 2010, 02:48 AM
Post #2

God

Member No.: 25755

yeah, air.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Oct 05, 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #3

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

Both amphetamines and benzos are highly addictive. Best of luck to you. And shame on the so-called physicians who routinely prescribe those substances.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Oct 06, 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #4

God

Member No.: 5877

Hello Jack,

I would recommend that you steer away from all synthetic compounds, and focus on treating the cause of your "disorder" rather than the symptoms. I sugest a regular exercise regiment and a proper diet, as well as cognitive behavioral therapy. The physician heals, nature makes well.
+Quote Post
kikai93
post Dec 16, 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 33312

I'd recommend tapering off your amphetamine and benzos (and probably not at the same time).
Get checked for nutritional deficiencies. Start an exercise routine. Start meditating.
Then consider supplementation (unless you have nutritional deficiencies, then definitely correct them).

Stuff I've found to help with ADD:
Magnesium Glycinate, Piracetam, Aniracetam, Pramiracetam, NALT, CDP Choline, Melatonin, Picamilon, Sulbutiamine, L-Theanine, ALCAR+ALA, and most importantly Fish Oil (300mg DHA/200mg EPA). I'm not advocating taking them all. Try any you intend to one at a time to assess the individual effects before combining. Exceptions: I haven't found Fish Oil to mix badly with anything, and you should probably take a choline source with any racetams you try.
+Quote Post
Digital Apotheosis
post Apr 16, 2013, 04:25 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 35051

I am also a web developer and programmer. I have not been diagnosed with ADD but I have all they symptoms including trouble concentrating and completing tasks, anxiety, depression, lethargy, etc...

I'm currently taking 40mg of Adderrall with 0.5mg of clonazepam. The clonazepam is taken as needed but usually to mitigate the come-down of the adderrall.

I take this on Monday, Wednesday and Friday giving myself a break all the other days.

I practice Zen meditation, especially on the off days, and it helps cope with side effects and feeling low.

What I've learned:
* You need breaks in order to not build up tolerance.
* You need to stay extremely well hydrated, over 100 ounces of electrolytic water per day.
* Don't drink alcohol at all on the up days.
* Force yourself to have some nutrition, like fruits, vegetables or nuts, in order to mitigate a lot of side effects.
* Have a multi-vitamin, you're gonna need it
* Meditate (focus on breath, physical sensation, or altering your perspective) whenever you're not focused on a task. The meditation changes your blood chemistry even more so that it enhances your mental state, increases your relaxation, and mitigates side effects

This is my practice and I've reached a homeostatic balance doing this.

If you only take two things from this post, I would say it would be to take breaks and drink a shit ton of water.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 07:21 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles