Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please help, Disprove the theory
Camper1337
post Sep 11, 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 33080

Hi, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jon and I joined this site in hopes of finding the answer. I've been living with my mother my whole life. She left him when I was four and took me with her wherever she went. I grew up with her, raised and nurtured by the only person that truly cares for me.

My mother tells me that I am like my father when she's angry. I don't believe that's possible because I can't have any of my father's qualities since I never knew him well, nor lived with him long enough to gain his mental traits. I keep telling her that it is physically impossible for me to be like my father. I think I am like her because I lived with her all my life and picked up all of her mental traits for the past 18 years.

Is she right, or am I right. Maybe you guys can help?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rAgAv
post Sep 11, 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15523

I'm not a neuroscientist or an expert biologist but I do know that genetic traits get passed onto the children from their parents.

These traits could include mannerisms and behaviour. You don't necessarily pick up traits only by observing people.

So, she could be right...and IMHO, she's *probably* right. Sorry mate.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 12, 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #3

God

Member No.: 5877

Probably a bit of both. Think of it like this... There are different breeds of dogs, and when picking a dog, you consider the temperament of the breed i.e. pug vs. some hyper ass terrier. On the other hand, just because you are inclined towards something doesn't mean that you will become that something. We got a beagle a few months back, and by nature he loves to hunt and chase animals; however, now that we have worked with him, his best friend is a guinea pig.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Sep 12, 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #4

God

Member No.: 25755

and then again people say a lot of whacky things and make strange connections that don't exist while they're upset. I've been in the position where I've been accused of being like my father...but the comment was meant to evoke a reaction. Don't know if this applies but you should be able to discern the difference
+Quote Post
Camper1337
post Sep 12, 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 33080

QUOTE(Phi @ Sep 12, 2010, 05:05 PM) *

and then again people say a lot of whacky things and make strange connections that don't exist while they're upset. I've been in the position where I've been accused of being like my father...but the comment was meant to evoke a reaction. Don't know if this applies but you should be able to discern the difference

I have no idea because I don't know my father. My mother is too difficult to figure out. I think she said that to get a reaction out of me so I would do the opposite. For example, I missed her phone call when I was driving. She got pissed off and she said that I am like my father. I call her every time I need something. I don't understand... The thing I want to know is if it's possible for me to act like my father.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Sep 12, 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #6

God

Member No.: 5877

Well I think most guys act more or less alike. Doesn't seem unusual to me to "act like your father". You are probably acting like about 3 billion other people in the world as well.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Sep 12, 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #7

God

Member No.: 25755

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 12, 2010, 07:21 PM) *

Well I think most guys act more or less alike. Doesn't seem unusual to me to "act like your father". You are probably acting like about 3 billion other people in the world as well.

agreed
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Sep 12, 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #8

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(Phi @ Sep 13, 2010, 03:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Flex @ Sep 12, 2010, 07:21 PM) *

agreed
ditto.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Sep 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #9

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

She might as well say that you're acting just like a man.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 05:59 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog