BrainMeta'                 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is most effective for improving brain function universally?
reich42
post Jul 30, 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32951

Everyone benefits from things like exercise, diet, meditation, sleep, reading, music, etc. They all improve mental function and health. Everyone has different interests that are mostly subjective ways for people to be emotionally and mentally healthy though. Some people love video games, some people hate them. Some people love weed, some people hate it and take prosac instead. Drug preference isn't the same as say a music genre preference. Personality doesn't decide it but brain chemistry does. Some people claim that weed or a certain drug is all they need, and feel that they should tell the world about it's magical effects, but soon find out that one man's treasure is another man's trash. Many people can't stand having bad memory. Everyone reacts subjectively. The psychedelic DMT can change one's perception of life and possibly cure a heroin addiction after one use. Others have experienced long term negative cognitive changes. This is why there is no perfect universal drug. Maybe though, I wonder, if one thing alone helps everyone around the world above all other things. One thing that not only positively effects everyone's cognitive abilities but improves all functions of the brain alone. For me exercise is most effective at giving me a good mood and mental edge. What I am getting at is you can say combining things like exercise, diet, sleep, nootropics, for a synergistic effect is good, but none of these things alone is seemingly powerful enough to take care of all brain issues. Would running 7 miles help everyone? No. Everyone uses different types and quantities of exercise to get what they are seeking. The same goes for medications. Everyone benefits from various drugs and dosages. Either way you look at it, personally or universally, exercise is good. What specific thing is most effective for everyone? It can't be one drug or one exercise. If there is no such thing, then what category, so to speak, is the best? Exercise, medication, nutrition? (I benefit from weed emotionally, but not with mental function. Running a few miles a day and some weight lifting helps me emotionally and mentally AND physically. It covers the most functions of any treatment I have tried by itself. That doesn't mean diet and sleep aren't as equally important to stay healthy, but they aren't as effective at improving brain function. In fact if anything eating very healthy and sleeping good won't really give me the "change" I am looking for. Drastic improvement that is. The reason I believe exercise is the best mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually is because it requires hard work. Not a quick easy fix like drugs. Although I did experience a still unexplained DXM induced experience that lasted for 2 weeks. A loophole in the system that kept me in a hypomanic, euphoric, super mental ability state of mind that was thousands of times better than the best lsd trip I have ever had. Yet far after the drug wore off, my brain chemistry was altered for 2 weeks somehow still unknown. I posted this experience on another topic if it sounds interesting. And during this period I became most horrified of Christianity and other religions that cause people to ask for God's help during crucial moments of suffering. I went through the brutal realization that in order to get help, sometimes the only help you can possibly get in the universe is through helping yourself. This is what makes us truly alone on this planet of subjective realities. Everyone is their own god in terms of free will, with their own choices. But in terms of actually becoming godlike and overcoming nature, we can never achieve. We are too fragile a species no matter what path we choose. Nature will always kill us in the end smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
paperdragons
post Aug 15, 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32993

As you said, humans are subjective beings. The "improvement" you speak of is itself subjective. To achieve "happiness," if that is what you desire, you need to engage in activities that promote it. Happiness, like everything else, is a balance. (Because we don't live in a linear reality, and nothing is a permanent opposite of anything else.) Achieving your goals isn't formulaic, but rather must be a creation based upon layers of experience. As you said, running seven miles isn't necessarily going to benefit you. What are your goals? How do your genetics and prior subjective experiences make you respond to situations? If you have contempt for exercise, running, the modern "stay fit" ideal, then it won't help you much at all. If you aren't genetically equipped for running, it might hurt you. But, perhaps, overcoming the genetic barrier can be viewed as a challenge, and success can bring you happiness.

Anyway, life is senseless, in the sense that it isn't methodological, it doesn't have absolute meaning, and it doesn't have objective value. Every thing is just what you think of it, because the thing is only made real to you through your thoughts of it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog