Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Brain and Alcohol
JasonMcAuley
post Jul 11, 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32907

I've experienced an interesting thing for some time, and I have looked around on the web and haven't found much information on this specific scenario.

I will begin with this, I am NOT a heavy alcohol user. In my case, after a night of alcohol consumption that would be considered an amount to get me intoxicated; I tend to have an interesting experience in the days to come. Aside from the inevitable 'hang over' and fatigue as a typical fallout of alcohol consumption, I tend to have two to three days where I feel SIGNIFICANTLY more motivated and happy. I literally feel like I have the drive and determination to push myself to my fullest potential in all walks of life. After these days, I tend to fall back to my mild depressive state that I have been experiencing for the past 4 years or so; and have more difficulty retaining that same drive.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to why this could be? Is there means I can re-create, and sustain this state of mind in a more consistent, less harmful manner?

My guess would be possibly that it relates to dopamine levels that are increased through alcohol use, but would those levels sustain themselves for days? Would this mean supplementing with tyrosine could be strongly beneficial to me? I already vigorously exercise 5-6 days a week and eat a fairly strict, healthy diet.

I would love some insight on this; and would greatly appreciate anyone that could assist me in understanding this futher.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jul 12, 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #2

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

Are you taking any medication?
+Quote Post
JasonMcAuley
post Jul 12, 2010, 07:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 32907

No prescription medication. I supplement with piraceteam, alcar, 100mg x 2 daily of 5HTP, plus the typical things like omega 3 and a multi-vitamin.

Even during periods of time abstaining from 5HTP, I will get the same after effects from alcohol.
+Quote Post
alexies
post Jan 14, 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 33368

So you only feel this right after you take in alcohol? Maybe you have depressive symptoms..Have you gone to a doctor? A psychiatrist for this?
+Quote Post
post Feb 19, 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #5

Unregistered

The nootropics, from my understanding, speed up your brain metabolism and make your AMPA receptors more sticky to glutamate release. I've heard anecdotal evidence on messages boards where people complained of a piracetam-induced depression (though I did not note that there was any increased incidence of depression over placebo in any of the RCTs).

In addition, too much 5HTP can inhibit DA release, and if you're taking a nootropic it's likely that your brain is chewing through DA and 5HTP more rapidly... The balance of your monoamine NT systems is very important for your mood, motivation, drive, etc. Too much of any modulation of any system can have deleterious effects. DA, NE and 5HT systems all interact with one another. If you supplement with 5HTP then it will be relatively more prevalent when compared with DA, which could have effects on your drive.

Alcohol has a known anxiolytic effect through its agonist activity at GABA receptors. This increases inhibitory neurotransmission, having a global effect that opposes the actions of piracetam (albiet through different mechanisms). It could be that drinking "slows" your brain down enough to allow your DA neurons to recover a bit and increases their ability to synthesize, store, and release at the appropriate time, an amount of DA could swing your DA:5-HT ratio a little more towards the "motivation" (DA) end of things.

That's the thing about depression, serotoninergic transmission is not the sole unitary driving NT system. Sure it is for some people (and these people respond very rapidly and very well to anti-depressants). But when you think about it... the neurobiologicla basis of anhedonia, lack of drive, and sadness, though we call all of this "depression", is likley symptom-specific and varies in different subtypes of depression.

I am not a medical professional and most of what I said is completely theoretical. I have an undergrad neuroscience background, so please consult a doctor.
+Quote Post
devnty06
post Mar 01, 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 33224

I would suggest you to get rid off this alcohol first...
most of this depressed state of mind happens because of this alcohol. If possible please do some meditation and find some peace of mind.

+Quote Post
orangesand
post May 11, 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #7

Unregistered

certain genes and crystomes families are turn off/on by environmental triggers
your body may metabolize ethanol in an unusual manor , being chronically depressed
in that state a strong drug, such as alcohol may have a more pronounced effect,
in the literature, someone is highly nervous, depressed to X degree, the individual
takes valium(or similar drug), which is a sedative, though the person feels better,
has more energy and is happier, an overly active brain when slowed down can think
more clearly and function more/do more tasks,
+Quote Post
zeecoo753
post Dec 02, 2016, 11:40 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 38416

To understand the need for a much better experience preferred.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 11:21 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles