BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> need some suggestions, Is it possible for me to become theoretical neuroscientist by going for another Ph.D?
polly
post Jun 07, 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32811

Dear all

Currently I am a Ph.D student in Hearing Science, doing research in physiological signal processings related to auditory perception. I have an idea recently about going for another Ph.D after finishing the current one. The second one I'd like to pursue is theoretical neuroscience, which is put under Applied Math division, since it's mainly about computational modelling of neural representations. Though I am not a math major, I personally believe the two research areas match well. However, I heard people say that it's hard to be offered with a second Ph.D because most likely one of them will be wasted. I actually consider the both are useful, because one is more experiment based while the other is theoretical related. Neuroscience itself is very interdisciplinary. What I plan to do is to study the same issue just from different aspects. I am not sure if this argument looks strong enough.

Another concern is that I am not a math major. I was a Biomedical Engineering major in undergrad. I took several math courses in Math&Physics department before. Now plan to take several graduate level math courses including matrix theory and statistics sequence. Also will for sure take the Math subject test. I don't know if this disadvantage would be less weighted if I do well in Subject test to show that I have the necessarily needed math background.

Someone says what matters is the research ability and matching of research areas. On the other hand, they say it's hard to get offered a second Ph.D. I don't mind spending years for another degree. Actually, I would be excited about it since theoretical neuroscience is the area I have dreamed to learn about. And I know lots of researchers change their research areas from what they did in Ph.D.

I am looking forward to hear suggestions! Thanks a lot!

----
I posted for suggestions in another forum...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post Jun 08, 2010, 05:26 AM
Post #2

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 5683

Would it be possible to find a post-grad position more along the lines of theoretical neuroscience?
+Quote Post
polly
post Jun 08, 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 32811

QUOTE(GodConsciousness @ Jun 08, 2010, 05:26 AM) *

Would it be possible to find a post-grad position more along the lines of theoretical neuroscience?

thanks a lot for your reply. I thought about it before but still seems that my math background is not solid enough. So I thought about having a degree in math...

+Quote Post
Paul King
post Aug 20, 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4500

It's my understanding that one PhD is enough.

However having spent some time around theoretical neuroscience for a while, I can say that it is an extraordinarily mathematical field. A lot of the folks in it are former physicists, and the math equations involved are numerous, complex, and abstract. Linear algebra and theoretical statistics are big components. Also, the field of theoretical neuroscience can be a bit competitive and elitist -- moreso than experimental neuroscience -- with a lot of math machismo in the culture.

On the positive side, there is nothing to stop you from incorporating theoretical models into your work, for example by collaborating with a theoretical neuroscience person until enough of it rubs off to do your own theoretical work. The theoretical people love collaborating with experimentalists, since experimental data carries much more publication clout than a theoretical idea. And even in the theory world, the less math oriented people collaborate with the more-math-oriented ones because equations are so important for credibility.

I like the post-doc idea.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Aug 20, 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #5

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

Ahhh, to be a perpetual student .....
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Aug 21, 2010, 06:01 AM
Post #6

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

i agree with Paul King. I would strongly advise against a 2nd PhD. Once you have one, then many doors are opened and there's no need to get a 2nd. Just find a postdoc in theoretical neurosci.
+Quote Post
Dennis Sedov
post Jul 22, 2013, 05:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 35238

I'm currently in undergrad in PSY, however theoretical neuroscience is of a great interest to me as well. I'm doing several classes on linear algebra, algorithms and calculus on Coursera right now and plan study math till I get all the requirements for this field.

What is a usual set of math classes that one needs to take for theoretical neuroscience? I'm thinking graph theory is important, what else?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 03:26 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles