BrainMeta'                 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does God Have A Future?, Deepa Chopra (Theism)/Jean Houston (Atheism) face-off
equable
post Apr 19, 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #31

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32648

Eventually, to understanding of things like that arrive you should. smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Apr 19, 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #32

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(equable @ Apr 19, 2010, 03:23 AM) *

Why don't you just leave us alone, Enki! You are totally shameless, dude!
+Quote Post
equable
post Apr 19, 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(code buttons @ Apr 20, 2010, 12:09 AM) *

I am not Enki, I just read here some of his writings and got very surprised that he been blocked.

Ok, its your forum and your free will.

Goodbye.
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Apr 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #34

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(equable @ Apr 19, 2010, 12:18 PM) *

I am not Enki, I just read here some of his writings and got very surprised that he been blocked.

Goodbye.

It's the ppl's forum! Not mine! You just read a whole lot like Enki, dude! Sorry about that! Why would you leave if you're not Enki! Didn't you read my previous post?
+Quote Post
Rick
post Apr 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #35

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

QUOTE(equable @ Apr 14, 2010, 08:03 PM) *

I had a letter directed to Mr. Rick in this thread, now it is erased.

STATEMENT MODERATED by HeyHey

Actually, it's Dr. Wagner, but you can call me Rick.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Apr 20, 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #36

Supreme God

QUOTE(equable @ Apr 19, 2010, 01:18 PM) *

Goodbye.

I told you he wasn't Enki.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Apr 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #37

Supreme God

Member No.: 3202

QUOTE(Rick @ Apr 20, 2010, 04:11 PM) *

Goodbye.

.... who really cares!!! I just completely ignore anything that bears any resemblance!
+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post Apr 20, 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #38

Demi-God

Member No.: 5683

Richard Dawkins put together a series exploring a similar theme that is quite good called "the enemies of reason."

The series is on youtube. First segment here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQ57X3YhH4
+Quote Post
Rick
post Apr 21, 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #39

Supreme God

No wonder Ronald Reagan closed all the lunatic asylums in California when he was Governor. I thought it was just Repug stinginess, their urge to "save" money. It actually costs society more on the long run to have them all out on the streets and homeless. It's as if he knew what was coming! We used to commit the irrational. Now we give them million dollar jobs on Faux News!
+Quote Post
equable
post Apr 28, 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(code%20buttons @ Apr 20, 2010, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE(equable @ Apr 19, 2010, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(code%20buttons @ Apr 20, 2010, 12:09 AM) *

Goodbye.

It's the ppl's forum! Not mine! You just read a whole lot like Enki, dude! Sorry about that! Why would you leave if you're not Enki! Didn't you read my previous post?

Rumors says that we all are made in image of the same standard, so there should be some similarity among all the people, esp all wise people, is not it?
+Quote Post
equable
post Apr 28, 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #41

QUOTE(Rick @ Apr 21, 2010, 12:10 AM) *

QUOTE(equable @ Apr 14, 2010, 08:03 PM) *

I had a letter directed to Mr. Rick in this thread, now it is erased.

STATEMENT MODERATED by HeyHey

Actually, it's Dr. Wagner, but you can call me Rick.

My experience shows that the name of mine does not cost a penny in this world, so you can call me 'equable'.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Apr 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #42

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(Trip like I do @ Apr 20, 2010, 11:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Rick @ Apr 20, 2010, 04:11 PM) *

Goodbye.

.... who really cares!!! I just completely ignore anything that bears any resemblance!
And I'm in a deleting mood. We can do without this crap rising up from the sewers again!
+Quote Post
joshep.sheena03
post May 04, 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 32739

No there is no future,present and past for God at all.Because this rules only be followed by only living things.God is a creator of future of all living things
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 05, 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #44

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(joshep.sheena03 @ May 05, 2010, 06:56 AM) *

No there is no future,present and past for God at all.Because this rules only be followed by only living things.God is a creator of future of all living things
A load of old cobblers!
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 06, 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #45

Supreme God

Where religions come to die:

www youtube com:
/watch?v=0Rqw4krMOug

Bug: claims I don't have enough posts to post URLs.
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post May 07, 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #46

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

QUOTE(code buttons @ Mar 24, 2010, 11:19 AM) *
Does God Have A Future?

In my opinion, gods that have things, including pasts presents and futures, wills--properties and/or characteristics of anykind--are nothing more than illusions. They are idols created by the human imagination.

GOD--the One in which that which IS, like the cosmos and those billions of galaxies, do exist, however, as defined in http://www.redefinegod.com --is something else. When I speak of that which is in and through things, including our bodies, I use the acronym G0D. Sometimes, I will use the word, G0d, or g0d.
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post May 07, 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #47

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rick tells us that spirituality is
QUOTE(Rick @ Apr 08, 2010, 02:21 PM) *

... Reverence for life and being grateful for being alive. ...
A good comment. But the rest does not show all that much reverence, or respect, for people who live sincerely and who believe, admittedly without physical, that life is intrinsically eternal. How we live it is our choice. I find it is possible to disagree with the beliefs of others, respectfully? Rick likes to put it this way
Not enough for you? ... How ungrateful is that?

Yes, God, thanks for the gift of life, but I demand more!

To me this life is enough.

I don't require an immortality that is not mine to demand. I will take what I am given with gratitude.

How really small and selfish the religionists are! Worshiping an imaginary deity in the hopes of receiving some more scraps from the table!
Do we have to resort to rhetoric and sarcasm? Where is the evidence that this is the only life we have ever had?
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 07, 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #48

Supreme God

Better to believe nothing than to believe in something not true.
+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post May 07, 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #49

Demi-God

There is no doubt in my mind that there are some serious problems with many of the religions out there today and the plethora of new age spiritualities are getting a bit out there for my tastes. And I tend to agree with Dawkins and others that mainstream religions have been instrumental in creating societal delusions that have not always been helpful.

And yet... to think that the universe is 93 billion light years across and expanding faster than the speed of light is just simply mind blowing! Perhaps its not an intelligence we can quite put our finger on and perhaps all of the religions have been flat out wrong in their interpretations of God. But to look up into the universe and draw a blank in terms of some grander intelligence seems as irrational as the contrary.
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post May 07, 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #50

God

QUOTE(GodConsciousness @ May 07, 2010, 10:33 PM) *

... And yet... to think that the universe is 93 billion light years across and expanding faster than the speed of light is just simply mind blowing! ...
GC, I agree. It prompts me to ask: What do we, including atheists, call that infinity and eternity into which the universe is expanding? Do we call it nothing? Or Nothing? What evidence is there that life and consciousness, collectively and individually, ends in nothingness?

I suspect that only people who are totally evil--psycho and sociopaths, with no sense of justice and fair play--hope this is true. Yes, I suppose there are many who believe: "Only fools believe that eventually there will be justice and fair play for all. Therefore, it is best to live high and get it all, now--even at the expense of others, especially those who refuse to serve us." I wonder: Do they also believe that the goal of life is, live fast, avoid all pain, die young, and have a good-looking corpse? Not very rational, it seems to me.

I like to think that motivated by love--simple good will--all things are evolving to that which true, beautiful and good. Call it what you will, but may I claim the freedom to live on the basis that there is no end to love, life and consciousness; there is only evolution of life? And may I call it GOD? If this is an illusion, no one, including the New Atheists, will ever know. Thank GOD! smile.gif

In Latin there are two basic words for faith: FIDUCIA--faith involving active trust, not just FIDES--simply believing without action. Believing there is a God--evil people and hypocrites can do this and create god in their own image--is not the same as living ones life, day by day, in GOD and being G0d-filled, aware, conscious and loving.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my opinion, having an active faith in that which could be, and for me is, rational, good and true are the very nutrients on which the process of evolution feeds and could eventually help us fill the universe with consciousness--GOD? This kind of fiduciary faith is one that is love and action-based, I think of it as the basic food on which we grow evolve our future and spiritual bodies. Of course we need to avoid false beliefs, but believing in and feeding on nothing at all, for me, makes no sense at all. It is a false belief! Even if we lived for an average of 100 years--not impossible, with today's science--compared to eternity, it would simply make for a very bleak and short future. Not very appealing at all!

Does Reason Know What It Is Missing?
-----------------------------------------------
Check out the philosopher and sociologist, Jurgen Habermas, who now, in his 80's, sees the falue of sound and healthy religion:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...?pagemode=print
+Quote Post
GodConsciousness
post May 07, 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #51

Demi-God

we stumble about in our metaphors and devices of language
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post May 08, 2010, 07:17 AM
Post #52

God

QUOTE(GodConsciousness @ May 07, 2010, 11:11 PM) *
we stumble about in our metaphors and devices of language

ABOUT FIDUCIARY FAITH--a re-edit of the last part of my last comment:

Fiduciary faith (FF), the kind of which I speak, is one that is love (simple good will)-and-action based. Faith without any action is for hypocrites, including "religious" ones. Of course, it is possible for moral, ethical and positive agnostics/atheist to practice FF. They do so anytime they do justice and tell the truth. But they, too, can be hypocrites. If, hypocrties, happen to be scientists involved in scientific research leading to the production of "valuable" and profitable products, they can, by fudging numbers and the like, be very dangerous hypocrites. Thalidomide, anyone? Fascist dictators have always made full use of the sciences.

I think of FF--and here I am not referring to the doctrines, dogmas, rituals and polities of the religions--as the basic food on which we can grow and evolve our spiritual bodies. Of course we need to avoid what we recognize to be false beliefs. But believing in, and feeding on, nothing at all makes no sense at all, for me. I think of it as a very false and fatal kind of faith--a kind of mental, or spiritual, anorexia.

By the way, the material sciences--which I agree can be very valuable tools--hold out the promise that a few of us could live for an average of about 100 to 120 years as physical bodies, with no guarantee that we will remain in robust health. Then, for everyone, will come death--the end of self consciousness.

Meanwhile, unless there are dramatic changes in the way we do politics and economics, most of us human beings--as quite a number of my own family and friends already have done--in recent history will have to put up with living short, miserable and despair-filled lives. I don't call this a gift of the sciences--and certainly not a gift of any god I respect--I call it a sordid joke, a dirty trick--promising a bleak, short and not very appealing future. To which I say: No thanks!

There is no comparison between the dead-end "gift", as described above, and the gift of an eternal life exploring and participating in the evolution of the infinite universe. I think of it as the gift of being able to relate to Conscious Being--of which we are one. I feel this gift is the result of practicing a fiduciary and non-sectarian, positive, democratic and all-inclusive faith--including the universe and all in it--which is nourished by a sincere and beautiful hope and empowered by love, the highest good.

Does Reason Know What It Is Missing?
-----------------------------------------------
Check out the highly regarded German philosopher and sociologist, Jurgen Habermas, a former agnostic who now, in his 80's, sees the value of sound and healthy religion:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...?pagemode=print
+Quote Post
P. Jay
post Jan 04, 2012, 08:49 AM
Post #53

Aspiring

Member No.: 33864

QUOTE(Rick @ Apr 08, 2010, 11:18 AM) *

Ok, but which god? Zeus? Mazda? Rama? I kind of like the Hawaiian god Kane, god of life.

The True God perhaps.
+Quote Post
P. Jay
post Jan 05, 2012, 03:37 AM
Post #54

Aspiring

QUOTE(P. Jay @ Jan 04, 2012, 08:49 AM) *

Ok, but which god? Zeus? Mazda? Rama? I kind of like the Hawaiian god Kane, god of life.

The True God perhaps.

Some think that God is dead now. Is that True or not?
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Jan 05, 2012, 05:43 AM
Post #55

Overlord

Member No.: 33523

QUOTE(P. Jay @ Jan 05, 2012, 05:37 AM) *

The True God perhaps.

Can't tell if you're implying god as a biological organism or some sort of figurative symbolism for what we don't know.
+Quote Post
P. Jay
post Jan 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #56

Aspiring

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Jan 05, 2012, 05:43 AM) *

The True God perhaps.

Can't tell if you're implying god as a biological organism or some sort of figurative symbolism for what we don't know.

I am talking about the title of a Spirit Person. Almighty God. Mighty God referring to the Messiah as a man Jesus Christ already died for parts of three days.
+Quote Post
KoolK3n
post Jan 05, 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #57

Overlord

Member No.: 33523

QUOTE(P. Jay @ Jan 05, 2012, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(KoolK3n @ Jan 05, 2012, 05:43 AM) *

The True God perhaps.

I am talking about the title of a Spirit Person. Almighty God. Mighty God referring to the Messiah as a man Jesus Christ already died for parts of three days.

Then that is up to you to decide.
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Jan 05, 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #58

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

He already has. He's just lookin' to recruit members into his club
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 05:33 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog