Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cognitive Enhancers, Modafinil
Donnie
post Feb 17, 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32631

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site.

I recently took modafinil for a few days, at different doses to see the effect. I bought the stuff online form two different pharmacies, and paid extra for the branded product. I wanted to make sure I got the real deal, which I do feel confident I did, because the two separate products made me feel the same.
I had hoped modafinil would make me feel more alert, and help me in my studies. It did make me feel more alert, but when I came to write an essay I seemed to have lost a creative component that is usually just there for me. I found myself reading a load of papers towards the essay with a kind of narrow minded focus, but about three days went by and I had hardly written anything. What's more, I'm not really sure I was retaining much information from the readings. I felt as though I'd lost my ability to think laterally. In a panic, I decided to stop taking the stuff because the deadline for this essay is drawing near, and this essay is just nowhere.

Has anyone else got anything to say about how modafinil affected their thinking.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Flex
post Feb 17, 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #2

God

Member No.: 5877

Yeah that can happen. It is designed to keep you alert--good if you are a fighter pilot, not necessarily good if you need to write a paper. Dopamine release will help with motivation, but chances are you are being overstimulated. Start taking way lower doses, and slowly increase till you find an effective dose. It is just like caffeine, too much of it will make you feel like shit and suck worse than you would without it.
+Quote Post
chrono
post Feb 18, 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 32482

I feel like modafinil is a little lacking in the creative reasoning/inspiration department. Maybe a little emotionally blunting. Definitely lacking in that warm dopamine push, so probably not the best thing to force you into motivation, like adderall does.

Like flex said, it sounds like you were taking too much. Maybe go for 100-200mg. Modafinil might work best for staying alert during tasks like reading? Lower dosages might be good if you have to do something creative like write an essay, or if you find it blocks your writing ability, try planning an outline w/o modafinil, and then using it for the long haul of actually fleshing out the ideas.

It's not something I've had the opportunity to try too many times with academic activities, so I'll be curious to hear what works out for you.
+Quote Post
macheet234
post Jul 06, 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 35211

I noticed a similar thing when writing the sentences dont turn out to be very eloquent and I kind of struggle with it but when I stay with it and turn the words around until the really fit then the result is good.
(But it is actual work)

But it has nothing whatsoever to do with a slight amphetamine high where you just pour your thoughts on the page.

What I did on modafinil was create pages of mind maps with my thoughts on them and how they can be connected.
I use different colors and everything for example one color for citations with the page number etc.

In another state of mind these mind maps can be easily converted into good writing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 08:41 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles