Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your favorite nutritional plan for peak cognitive functioning
astroidea
post Feb 15, 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #1

Aspiring

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 22853

Speaking of cognitive enhancers, isn't a proper diet the most effective thing you can do for your mind?

My knowledge of nutritional psychology isn't that great yet, but I have found it to be beneficial for a more positive mood and energy throughout the day.

Eat 4-6 small meals a day. This increases your body's metabolism and keeps your brain primed with nutrients.

Proteins are essential for good cognitive functioning as it contains all the precursors for neurotransmitters.
Carbs are essential for energy production(esp vitamin B ) and increases serotonin levels in the brain by making the amino acid transporters selective for tryptophan(precursor for serotonin).
Essential fatty acids from unsaturated fats such as omega 3's can help your brain's myelin bring more nutrients to your brain. From studying einstein's brain, this is actually what they found to differ the most.

Big meals can create sleepiness due to all the energy needed to digest the food.

My favorite quick remedy for negative thoughts and anxiety is a granola bar. Within a minute, I start feeling relaxed again and my mind feels clear again. But nothing beats a real meal though.

I also notice when I get burned out at studying, I'll start feeling racy, anxious, and nauseous. A small carb/protein meal fixes that quickly, such as a granola bar or PB&J sammich. I'll feel euphoric and relaxed.

Food is a helluva drug biggrin.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Feb 16, 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #2

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

Good points. I think that people should pay more attention to the nutritional make-up of their diet. Then they could ensure that they intake the appropriate percentages of the essentials. This doesn't need to be so precise as to be on a daily basis but over say a week. It also should be moulded towards their own physiology (age, weight, sex, state of health etc).

Also, as so many people are on medicines nowadays, they need to be aware that some pharmaceuticals influence the uptake and utilisation of food components. A perfect example are the proton pump inhibitors (ppi's) such as Lansoprazole and Omeprazole. They reduce stomach acidity and thus influence the uptake of iron, calcium and B-vitamins. Thus there could be a deficiency of these nutrients and they may need supplementation (the timing of the supplementation is important - no point in taking extra alongside the drug, take it at the extreme end of the drug daily cycle for example). I suppose that I've given a good reason for supplementation outside of the normal diet but to be sensible and scientific about it is OK, if you have circumstances that warrant 'artificial' supplementation. One could always supplement with extra natural foodstuffs. Eg chew on a bone for extra calcium - sorry just joking, but I hope you get the point!
+Quote Post
Flex
post Feb 16, 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #3

God

Member No.: 5877

Check out The Brain Chemistry Diet. Pretty descent book, from a fantastic doctor.
+Quote Post
astroidea
post Feb 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Aspiring

QUOTE(Flex @ Feb 16, 2010, 07:51 PM) *

Check out The Brain Chemistry Diet. Pretty descent book, from a fantastic doctor.

Awesome book. I got a few good pointers out of that.. I haven't followed his strict regimen yet though.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Feb 18, 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #5

God

Not too many people are into the whole orthomolecular type approach to psychiatry, but if you scrounge around material from Bastyr, you will find some good stuff. They are really the leaders in that sort of research.
+Quote Post
astroidea
post Feb 22, 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #6

Aspiring

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard of that field before.
I'm more focused on nutritional psychology than the broad field of natural medicine.
+Quote Post
ofmelancholy788
post Apr 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 32677

Eating more vegetables and fruits..My fav is apple.
+Quote Post
astroidea
post Feb 26, 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #8

Aspiring

This guy discusses a lot of research between nutrition and cognitive functioning.
http://www.theawareshow.com/inspire/amen/
+Quote Post
post Feb 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

Amen has a pretty sweet imaging lab in SoCal, and most certainly does some pretty cool work smile.gif

There isn't any real distinction from nutrition for overall health vs. brain health as far as I can really tell.
+Quote Post
orangesand
post May 30, 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #10

Unregistered

Eating a large meal, with very minor snacks,
only eating every other day.
Our brains "grew up" to this diet.
+Quote Post
orangesand
post May 30, 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #11

Unregistered

Looking to the past may be better.
We think that eating food from all over the world, year round
is best for us, though this never happened until modern times.
There is a paradox of progress, in this case with food.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Jun 01, 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #12

God

Food, Nutrition and Diet Therapy (4th edition) Krause -- Check it out smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles