Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salvinorin A as potential Antidepressant
Jurence
post Sep 21, 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32367

Hi everyone- I'm new to the forum. I'm only 17 so please bear with my crazyass ideas.

Everyone knows that if you do a lot of ecstasy (MDMA) repeatedly over a course of time your going to become depressed. This is for a variety of reasons (oxidative damage, temporarily using up all free sertonin levels, damage to serotonin receptors). MDMA causes Euphoria, with its damages leaving the user having a -lack- of euphoria in their lives.

Salvinorin A is the active chemical found in Salvia Divinorum. It is a selective Kappa Opioid Receptor agonist. Upon inhalation, you trip BALLS for five minutes. Anyone who has had this experience will tell you this is NOT pleasant. Kappa opioid receptors are responsible for dysphoria.

Now hear me out on my wacky theory- Just like how if you abuse MDMA every day and your receptors for serotonin become dulled, if you were to abuse Salvinorin A, twice a day, for a month isn't it reasonable to assume that your kappa opioid receptors are going to be fried, and your kappa opioids are going to be naturally low in the brain? If this occurs, can we also assume that the individual will (at least temporarily) be dulled to the feeling of dysphoria?

So, if the above theory IS true, then it would be -much- easier to simply take a KOR Agonist then, right? Wrong: Theory TWO: IF you take a KOR Antagonist for an extended amount of time, your Kappa Opioid levels are going to build up extremely high, however the antagonist is going to continue to make it impossible to feel displeasure. What happens the second you go off of the drug? Bam, dysphoria instantly for a few weeks until your brain can get itself back to normal.

So what am I saying here? I am thinking that if someone were to do a low dosage of Salvinorin A, twice a day for a month, they would see an betterment in daily living. In this instance, it would literally cause an ANTIDEPRESSANT effect in which the brain is lacking the neurotransmitters responsible for dysphoria. Most "antidepressants" now days don't actually do anything with the neurotransmitters that MAKE you depressed but instead elevate those which make you happy.

I want opinions, and guidance. I am going to be writing a research paper on this soon (I think) and set up a study for my proposal.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles