Hey Hey
post May 15, 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 845

Our Brains Make Their Own Marijuana: We're All Pot Heads Deep Inside

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

New study in the FASEB Journal shows that our brains make proteins that act directly on the marijuana receptors in our head

U.S. and Brazilian scientists have just proven that one of Bob Dylan's most famous lines—"everybody must get stoned"— is correct. That's because they've discovered that the brain manufactures proteins that act like marijuana at specific receptors in the brain itself. This discovery, published online in The FASEB Journal (http://www.fasebj.org), may lead to new marijuana-like drugs for managing pain, stimulating appetite, and preventing marijuana abuse.

"Ideally, this development will lead to drugs that bind to and activate the THC receptor, but are devoid of the side effects that limit the usefulness of marijuana," said Lakshmi A. Devi of the Department of Pharmacology and Systems Therapeutics at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York and one of the senior researchers involved in the study. "It would be helpful to have a drug that activated or blocked the THC receptor, and our findings raise the possibility that this will lead to effective drugs with fewer side effects."

Scientists made their discovery by first extracting several small proteins, called peptides, from the brains of mice and determining their amino acid sequence. The extracted proteins were then compared with another peptide previously known to bind to, but not activate, the receptor (THC) affected by marijuana. Out of the extracted proteins, several not only bound to the brain's THC receptors, but activated them as well.

"The War on Drugs has hit very close to home," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Last year, scientists found that our skin makes its own marijuana-like substance. Now, we see that our brain has been making proteins that act directly on the marijuana receptors in our head. The next step is for scientists to come up with new medicines that eliminate the nasty side of pot—a better joint, so to speak."

Details: Ivone Gomes, Julia S. Grushko, Urszula Golebiewska, Sascha Hoogendoorn, Achla Gupta, Andrea S. Heimann, Emer S. Ferro, Suzanne Scarlata, Lloyd D. Fricker, and Lakshmi A. Devi. Novel endogenous peptide agonists of cannabinoid receptors. FASEB J. doi:10.1096/fj.09-132142 http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/abstract/fj.09-132142v1
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
correlli
post May 15, 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #2

Aspiring

Member No.: 32044

If-ya-could trigger the THC receptor without the weed, will that still make me a pot head? smile.gif
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 15, 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Supreme God

QUOTE(correlli @ May 16, 2009, 06:19 AM) *

If-ya-could trigger the THC receptor without the weed, will that still make me a pot head? smile.gif

Secretly, that's the objective of this research ... shhhhh
+Quote Post
mk-ultra
post May 17, 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #4

Awakening

Member No.: 23751

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ May 15, 2009, 08:32 PM) *

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

New study in the FASEB Journal shows that our brains make proteins that act directly on the marijuana receptors in our head

U.S. and Brazilian scientists have just proven that one of Bob Dylan's most famous lines—"everybody must get stoned"— is correct. That's because they've discovered that the brain manufactures proteins that act like marijuana at specific receptors in the brain itself. This discovery, published online in The FASEB Journal (http://www.fasebj.org), may lead to new marijuana-like drugs for managing pain, stimulating appetite, and preventing marijuana abuse.

"Ideally, this development will lead to drugs that bind to and activate the THC receptor, but are devoid of the side effects that limit the usefulness of marijuana," said Lakshmi A. Devi of the Department of Pharmacology and Systems Therapeutics at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York and one of the senior researchers involved in the study. "It would be helpful to have a drug that activated or blocked the THC receptor, and our findings raise the possibility that this will lead to effective drugs with fewer side effects."

Scientists made their discovery by first extracting several small proteins, called peptides, from the brains of mice and determining their amino acid sequence. The extracted proteins were then compared with another peptide previously known to bind to, but not activate, the receptor (THC) affected by marijuana. Out of the extracted proteins, several not only bound to the brain's THC receptors, but activated them as well.

"The War on Drugs has hit very close to home," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Last year, scientists found that our skin makes its own marijuana-like substance. Now, we see that our brain has been making proteins that act directly on the marijuana receptors in our head. The next step is for scientists to come up with new medicines that eliminate the nasty side of pot—a better joint, so to speak."

Details: Ivone Gomes, Julia S. Grushko, Urszula Golebiewska, Sascha Hoogendoorn, Achla Gupta, Andrea S. Heimann, Emer S. Ferro, Suzanne Scarlata, Lloyd D. Fricker, and Lakshmi A. Devi. Novel endogenous peptide agonists of cannabinoid receptors. FASEB J. doi:10.1096/fj.09-132142 http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/abstract/fj.09-132142v1

These guys probably had a line of willing test subjects spanning a mile ratio from their facilities.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post May 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #5

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 4349

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ May 15, 2009, 10:32 PM) *

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

U.S. and Brazilian scientists have just proven that one of Bob Dylan's most famous lines�""everybody must get stoned"�" is correct. That's because they've discovered that the brain manufactures proteins that act like marijuana at specific receptors in the brain itself. This discovery, published online in The FASEB Journal (http://www.fasebj.org), may lead to new marijuana-like drugs for managing pain, stimulating appetite, and preventing marijuana abuse.

"The War on Drugs has hit very close to home," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Last year, scientists found that our skin makes its own marijuana-like substance. Now, we see that our brain has been making proteins that act directly on the marijuana receptors in our head. The next step is for scientists to come up with new medicines that eliminate the nasty side of pot�"a better joint, so to speak."

Nothing about this is really new and they already are several cannabis based drugs on the US and foreign markets. I'm curious what nasty side effects of cannabis they are referring to as oppose to the inordinate side effects of prescription and otc drugs.
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 21, 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

I think it's some kind of prejudice. For the very straight laced, any kind of consciousness expansion is "nasty."
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post May 21, 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #7

Demi-God

QUOTE(Rick @ May 21, 2009, 07:03 PM) *
I think it's some kind of prejudice. For the very straight laced, any kind of consciousness expansion is "nasty."

Media reinforced stories of drug abuse and reiterations of side effects sadly aid in creating an artificial negative viewpoint of the pros and cons of certain substances and attributable effects on consciousness.
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 22, 2009, 07:14 AM
Post #8

Supreme God

And a certain type of personality, the really uptight, get put out of their comfort zone by psychedelics. They don't like it (cannabis), preferring downers like alcohol.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post May 22, 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #9

Demi-God

QUOTE(Rick @ May 22, 2009, 10:14 AM) *
And a certain type of personality, the really uptight, get put out of their comfort zone by psychedelics. They don't like it (cannabis), preferring downers like alcohol.

Alcohol, tobacco, and coffee sadly seems to be America's drugs of choice. In the drug war they appear to be excluded due to pay offs in the form of taxes and social acceptability.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post May 22, 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #10

Supreme God

I think the term 'nasty' is very unscientific, but I think we all know what they are implying. So you are saying there are no 'nasty' side-effects? I think that there are plenty of undesirable side-effects and instead of diverting attention down an 'isn't alcohol bad' path, rather we should be informing potential (and present) users of the hazards, in order that they can make a better informed decision on usage of any cannabis and any consciousness altering drugs. That is just sensible and responsible action, but especially from those educated in the pharmacology/toxicology.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post May 25, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #11

Demi-God

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ May 22, 2009, 06:11 PM) *
I think the term 'nasty' is very unscientific, but I think we all know what they are implying. So you are saying there are no 'nasty' side-effects? I think that there are plenty of undesirable side-effects and instead of diverting attention down an 'isn't alcohol bad' path, rather we should be informing potential (and present) users of the hazards, in order that they can make a better informed decision on usage of any cannabis and any consciousness altering drugs. That is just sensible and responsible action, but especially from those educated in the pharmacology/toxicology.

"The War on Drugs has hit very close to home," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Last year, scientists found that our skin makes its own marijuana-like substance. Now, we see that our brain has been making proteins that act directly on the marijuana receptors in our head. The next step is for scientists to come up with new medicines that eliminate the nasty side of pot�"a better joint, so to speak."

What he is implying is not stated but inferred by the reader's perceptive. Cannabis as a medicine (which I view as the context of this article) like all medicines has benefits and side effects unique to each user, while some are shared the degree varies. Ultimately if it is effective for one's condition, the side effects do not outweigh the benefits it should be an option. Considering the lack of any toxic effect from cannabis compared to the millions of body bags each year from prescription and otc drugs I think many people need to reevaluate their stance on this issue.

Anyone can easily review the research on cannabis if they have access to the internet. However the government and mainstream medical establishment has always falsely portrayed and made outright lies concerning it's side effects while rarely if ever discussing it's benefits. The same exists for most consciousness altering compounds except alcohol and prescription drugs. While they are many reasons for this the outstanding one is profit. Pharmaceutical companies do not profit when patients can grow their own medicine.

Gerald Weissmann, M.D seems to have no knowledge or rather acknowledgment of several FDA or other government approved cannabis based drugs (Marinol, Cesamet) including an extract (Sativex). Not to mention the fact more than 10% of America's states have approved medical cannabis for years.

A review of cannabis and Marinol that compares the pros and cons.
http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6635
+Quote Post
Phi
post May 26, 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #12

God

Member No.: 25755

deep inside...cuz im so stoned I can't see straight
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 26, 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #13

Supreme God

I was looking at it not so much as a medicine, but as a recreational drug. From that viewpoint, aside from possible lung damage from the smoke, what are the "undesirable" side effects of cannabis?
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post May 26, 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #14

Demi-God

QUOTE(Rick @ May 26, 2009, 03:07 PM) *
I was looking at it not so much as a medicine, but as a recreational drug. From that viewpoint, aside from possible lung damage from the smoke, what are the "undesirable" side effects of cannabis?

The lung damage from the smoke is a result of ones choice of consumption of cannabis and I view independently from cannabis itself. Ironically the smoke does not strongly contribute to cancer due to the effects of the cannabinoids, however I would recommend a vaporizer or liquid extract to prevent any meaningful damage to the lungs.

I do not see any value in using any compound for recreational purposes, which would seem to stem from an undiagnosed mental condition or not well established coping mechanisms.

I do see a value in compounds for spiritual and religious purposes more so with entheogens given their long intertwine history with human beings, however their benefits can't be determined solely on a basis of chemical pro and side effects than their overall spiritual ones which science can not measure...yet.
+Quote Post
Rick
post May 26, 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #15

Supreme God

QUOTE(LifeMirage @ May 26, 2009, 03:12 PM) *
I do not see any value in using any compound for recreational purposes, which would seem to stem from an undiagnosed mental condition or not well established coping mechanisms.

I do see a value in compounds for spiritual and religious purposes more so with entheogens given their long intertwine history with human beings, however their benefits can't be determined solely on a basis of chemical pro and side effects than their overall spiritual ones which science can not measure...yet.

It seems to me you are making a distinction between recreational and spritual that might be as false as the distinction between enjoyment and life.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post May 26, 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #16

Demi-God

QUOTE(Rick @ May 26, 2009, 05:17 PM) *

It seems to me you are making a distinction between recreational and spritual that might be as false as the distinction between enjoyment and life.

My perception of what most people consider recreational is to intoxicate one self with no insightful purpose, except perhaps to escape their problems momentarily to "enjoy" life. I realize their are more positive views of the word but as far as the connotation goes I don't believe they apply to most people or how the government views them.
+Quote Post
Richi
post Jul 28, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 32164

QUOTE(LifeMirage @ May 26, 2009, 02:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Hey Hey @ May 22, 2009, 06:11 PM) *

What he is implying is not stated but inferred by the reader's perceptive. Cannabis as a medicine (which I view as the context of this article) like all medicines has benefits and side effects unique to each user, while some are shared the degree varies. Ultimately if it is effective for one's condition, the side effects do not outweigh the benefits it should be an option. Considering the lack of any toxic effect from cannabis compared to the millions of body bags each year from prescription and otc drugs I think many people need to reevaluate their stance on this issue.

Anyone can easily review the research on cannabis if they have access to the internet. However the government and mainstream medical establishment has always falsely portrayed and made outright lies concerning it's side effects while rarely if ever discussing it's benefits. The same exists for most consciousness altering compounds except alcohol and prescription drugs. While they are many reasons for this the outstanding one is profit. Pharmaceutical companies do not profit when patients can grow their own medicine.

Gerald Weissmann, M.D seems to have no knowledge or rather acknowledgment of several FDA or other government approved cannabis based drugs (Marinol, Cesamet) including an extract (Sativex). Not to mention the fact more than 10% of America's states have approved medical cannabis for years.

A review of cannabis and Marinol that compares the pros and cons.

People have had the opportunity to grow their own medicine for years, but they don't. As you pointed out, several cannabis based medications have been marketed and are being sold to the public. Should medical pot be fully legalized, I doubt enough people would switch over to home grown medicine to put GW Pharmaceuticals out of business.

QUOTE(LifeMirage @ May 26, 2009, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Rick @ May 26, 2009, 05:17 PM) *

My perception of what most people consider recreational is to intoxicate one self with no insightful purpose, except perhaps to escape their problems momentarily to "enjoy" life. I realize their are more positive views of the word but as far as the connotation goes I don't believe they apply to most people or how the government views them.

I agree with this standpoint to a certain degree. Entheogens used for religious purposes hold more of a value than drugs used for a recreational purpose to me as well, but many would be able to blur the distinction between the two. It would be hard to discriminate between these two uses of psychotropic substances, unless we go with a 'to each their own' sort of attitude.
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jul 29, 2009, 06:33 AM
Post #18

God

Member No.: 5681

I'll forever disregard rules and regulations supplied by a bunch of lying two faced hypocritical arses in whatever country you're in. They've lied, stolen and misdirected us for centuries. I'll do whatever I feel is morally correct to my own spirit, not their false virtuous bullshit.

I'm sufferring with anxiety and chest pains caused, no doubt, by my own abuse. The anxiety is exasperated by the cannabis, but it was not the cause. I smoked it knowing the damage that smoking can do. The method of consumption, as rightly pointed out by LifeMirage, is nothing to do with the drug. Yet a good proportion of studies done mixes up this simple fact.

Most people I know would happily take a dangerous cocktail of OTC drugs like Aspirin/Codeine/Paracetamol. They are NOT educated to the risks, and still we continue in our 'War on Drugs'. Its pathetic, dangerous and short sighted sensationalism.

When the US tried to ban Alcohol it didn't work. Why didn't we learn anything from this? Freedom has to be absolute freedom or we're not free at all. Crime and disorder aside, our rights are being taken from us.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jul 29, 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #19

God

I personally don't care for pot, and I'm not too fond of those who smoke all the time, but it should be legal...

I think that the laws against such things will be proven to be a failure in history and negative in the long run...or at the least not as efficient as it could be.

There's way too much money being spent on the limitation of freedom while our schools are being neglected and the youth are still left behind to fend for themselves; while the hypocrites that trojan talks of enjoy the perks of being at the top of the pyramids, and most of those who can make a difference are all talk and no action. It's all the same old story, just another day.

Luckily, there are more coming out and making a difference in the areas of science...and those things cannot and will not be refuted as the information is the truth. There are others who are actively engaged in the spread of knowledge, and others who create resources to apply positive changes in society. Now we need other areas to pull their heads out and realize that the picture is much bigger than you and your immediate family, and if you're not actively doing something about it...then you're full of shit
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jul 29, 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #20

God

Luckily, there are more coming out and making a difference in the areas of science...and those things cannot and will not be refuted as the information is the truth.
Unfortunately this is probably not the case. We've had many independent medical/science experts examine our drug classifications, especially in regards to E, LSD and Cannabis. They all reach the same conclusion, that there is no evidence to support the placement in Class A. All the statistics show that alcohol and tobacco should be placed in Class A, by the reasoning behind the drug classes. Experts say the same. The government doesn't like the result, and sends out messages by changing cannabis to class C then back again because of political uneasiness.

They're a bunch of idiots who are doing nothing good amongst them, but simply ride the media sensationalism wave hoping to win more votes. Gets my back right up!
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jul 30, 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #21

God

thats why i say the other areas need to catch up...so that the information from science won't go to waste
+Quote Post
trojan_libido
post Jul 31, 2009, 03:53 AM
Post #22

God

Hopefully you're idealism will win out. I'm doubtful due to the amount of cattle like people on this planet.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Jul 31, 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #23

God

eh, they'll die off or join in because it will be IN to do so, and I believe more opportunities are being made to include more people in them.

+Quote Post
correlli
post Nov 10, 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #24

Aspiring

Member No.: 32044

I've given up using weed on a regular basis. jesus christ that stuff is shit.

I admit I made a mistake in using cannabis.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Nov 11, 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #25

God

id say it's just a waste of money for me
+Quote Post
Phi
post Nov 11, 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #26

God

oh yeah, and time
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 04:26 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog