Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Increasing Neuroconnectivity
Iain
post May 15, 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 32063

From what I can gather (Please correct me if I'm wrong) intelligence doesn't so much come from the amount of neurons you've got, but the amount of connections among them. That being said making yourself 'smarter' should be as simple as increasing the connections in your brain, but how would you go about doing that?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post May 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #2

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

the relation between synaptic density and IQ is speculative. Theoretically, simply increasing number of connections should not yield higher IQ. Rather, it's the specific patterns of connectivity, which is reflected, in part, in the differential weights of connections. Think of a simple neural network. If it's just fully connected, then it's not necessarily going to do anything useful, but if you prune away some of the connections, or alter their weights, then you can transform it into a network for pattern recognition.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post May 21, 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 4349

QUOTE(Iain @ May 15, 2009, 01:40 PM) *
From what I can gather (Please correct me if I'm wrong) intelligence doesn't so much come from the amount of neurons you've got, but the amount of connections among them. That being said making yourself 'smarter' should be as simple as increasing the connections in your brain, but how would you go about doing that?

http://dual-n-back.com/

I can make additional suggestions via personal message if you are interested.
+Quote Post
astroidea
post Oct 06, 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Aspiring

Member No.: 22853

Have positive experiences, or practice a skill, both will increase synaptic density in the brain.

But I'm not so sure if intelligence is correlated with # of synaptic connections, as we are born with the most synaptic connections we'll ever have. As we age, the connections are pruned away, in a way like a sculptor would sculpt away a piece of limestone to a beautiful statue.
+Quote Post
x_danny_x
post Nov 04, 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Aspiring

Member No.: 32212

do you keep this new intelligence or smartness that you get from doing these exercises or learning new skill such as the 2dual n back???

QUOTE(lucid_dream @ May 15, 2009, 02:47 PM) *

the relation between synaptic density and IQ is speculative. Theoretically, simply increasing number of connections should not yield higher IQ. Rather, it's the specific patterns of connectivity, which is reflected, in part, in the differential weights of connections. Think of a simple neural network. If it's just fully connected, then it's not necessarily going to do anything useful, but if you prune away some of the connections, or alter their weights, then you can transform it into a network for pattern recognition.

how do you go about doing what you just mention or accomplishing? i mean what type of things do you need to do?
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Nov 04, 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #6

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(x_danny_x @ Nov 04, 2009, 12:38 PM) *

do you keep this new intelligence or smartness that you get from doing these exercises or learning new skill such as the 2dual n back???

Brain plasticity is achieved through repetition and increased challenge. Like when you want to increase the size of your muscles through exercise. So, for instance, sign up for a class of salsa dance and don't just stay at the beginner level. Keep trying to get better at it indefinitely.
+Quote Post
x_danny_x
post Nov 04, 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #7

Aspiring

Member No.: 32212

so basically master one specific task and then do the same for another task and so on?

does this transfer the skills set? i mean that you can actually do whatever next task easier since now you have a new improve brain.

from 2 Dual N back game, it is the only game i heard that can actually make you brain learn things or process different tasks.

i always wonder if it allows you to keep that ability or you just go back to normal?
+Quote Post
neurokinetics
post Apr 06, 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 34044

I'm not sure if anything in particular can increase your number of synapses (neuroconnectivity), but I know that both marijuana and lion's mane mushroom can accelerate neurogenesis (the development of new neurons).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 03:04 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles