Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adrafinil vs. Modafinil
shady
post May 07, 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 31871

Is the price difference worth the benefits of modafinil over adrafanil? I really like how I feel on the latter. How does this compare to modafinil and is the price difference worth it? I understand that adrafinil is merely a pro drug, more concerned with side effects and effectiveness. Main use is to aid studying for the next 40 days for my boards. Also using huperzine, cdp-choline, fish oil, ALCAR, ALA. Moderate caffeine intake.

Also, how effective are the -afanils in terms of memory, recall, etc? The few articles i've picked through seem to show a benefit to speed and concentration, but not a huge difference in memory.

thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
St. James
post May 07, 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 32111

QUOTE(shady @ May 07, 2009, 06:01 PM) *

Is the price difference worth the benefits of modafinil over adrafanil? I really like how I feel on the latter. How does this compare to modafinil and is the price difference worth it? I understand that adrafinil is merely a pro drug, more concerned with side effects and effectiveness. Main use is to aid studying for the next 40 days for my boards. Also using huperzine, cdp-choline, fish oil, ALCAR, ALA. Moderate caffeine intake.

Also, how effective are the -afanils in terms of memory, recall, etc? The few articles i've picked through seem to show a benefit to speed and concentration, but not a huge difference in memory.

thanks.

Be careful with supps that boost acetylcholine. Huperzine made me feel like complete crap and I have heard that from a few other folks as well.
+Quote Post
shady
post May 07, 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 31871

QUOTE(St. James @ May 07, 2009, 06:54 PM) *

thanks.

Be careful with supps that boost acetylcholine. Huperzine made me feel like complete crap and I have heard that from a few other folks as well.

I've never had issues with increasing ACH levels. Sometimes I get slightly flushed with high dosed huperzine, but other than that no ill effects. Any input on Adrafinil?
+Quote Post
mdma
post May 08, 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 32036

Adrafinil is a prodrug; it is primarily metabolized in vivo to modafinil (Provigil), resulting in nearly identical pharmacological effects. Unlike modafinil, however, it takes time for the metabolite to accumulate to active levels in the bloodstream. Effects usually are apparent within 45-60 minutes when taken orally on an empty stomach.

Modafinil possesses greater selective alpha-1 adrenergic activity than adrafinil without the side effects of stomach pain, skin irritations, feelings of tension, and increases in liver enzyme levels.

Modafinil half-life=12 hours
Adrafinil half-life=1 hour...

No effects at all on memory it only keeps you up, therefore giving you focus and awareness
+Quote Post
superwillis
post Oct 26, 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 32438

QUOTE(mdma @ May 08, 2009, 01:09 PM) *

Adrafinil is a prodrug; it is primarily metabolized in vivo to modafinil (Provigil), resulting in nearly identical pharmacological effects. Unlike modafinil, however, it takes time for the metabolite to accumulate to active levels in the bloodstream. Effects usually are apparent within 45-60 minutes when taken orally on an empty stomach.

Modafinil possesses greater selective alpha-1 adrenergic activity than adrafinil without the side effects of stomach pain, skin irritations, feelings of tension, and increases in liver enzyme levels.

Modafinil half-life=12 hours
Adrafinil half-life=1 hour...

No effects at all on memory it only keeps you up, therefore giving you focus and awareness

Correction: Be careful with the half-lives...the half-life of adrafinil is misleading. It is 1 hour until metabolized to modafinil. The metabolite of adrafinil is modafinil itself, and modafinil's half-life is the same as reported: 12-15 hours. So, chemically speaking, the half-life of adrafinil is 1 hour, but how long it is effective in the body (controlling for equivalent doseages) is roughly the same as modafinil.

Lastly, I can confirm the reports that the metabolism of adrafinil adds a sulfur odor to the urine. Its not bad -- kind of like eating asparagus and peeing. You definitely know you took adrafinil though, haha.
+Quote Post
Jessica S
post Nov 29, 2009, 06:21 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 32499

QUOTE(shady @ May 07, 2009, 03:01 PM) *

thanks.

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
+Quote Post
Olivia
post Apr 25, 2010, 02:32 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 32722

I know a good place offering best price Provigil at Provigilbuy
+Quote Post
Ambience
post May 14, 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 32751

modafinil (else called modalert,alertec) is the best medication for wakefulness...and lesser side effects.
+Quote Post
Ambience
post May 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 32751

wouldn't pass the exams without it
+Quote Post
shanewatson384
post Oct 10, 2012, 03:52 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 34598

Adrafinil is digested in vivo to Modafinil... their systems of activity are basically the same at that factor.

The key distinction is that you have to delay ~hour until Adrafinil is digested. The time half-life of Adrafinil is unrelated to the ~twelve time 50 percent lifestyle of Modafinil. Once digested into Modafinil I'd bet the 50 percent lifestyle propensities are the same in digested Adrafinil as in Modafinil stand-alone.

The other key distinction is cost in Adrafinil Vs Modafinil.
+Quote Post
PigeonParty
post Jan 02, 2013, 06:10 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 34756

QUOTE(shanewatson384 @ Oct 10, 2012, 03:52 AM) *

Adrafinil is digested in vivo to Modafinil... their systems of activity are basically the same at that factor.

The key distinction is that you have to delay ~hour until Adrafinil is digested. The time half-life of Adrafinil is unrelated to the ~twelve time 50 percent lifestyle of Modafinil. Once digested into Modafinil I'd bet the 50 percent lifestyle propensities are the same in digested Adrafinil as in Modafinil stand-alone.

I've also read studies that have found Adrafinil to be much harder on the liver. I've taken both and found Adrafinil to be very disappointing, even at doses twice that of the Modafinil I've used. Definitely stick to Modafinil if you can get your hands on it.
+Quote Post
Almighty
post Jan 02, 2013, 06:33 AM
Post #12

Aspiring

Member No.: 34593

Hi all

How do i get Modafinil in south africa?

+Quote Post
PigeonParty
post Jan 02, 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 34756

QUOTE(Almighty @ Jan 02, 2013, 06:33 AM) *

Hi all

I'm not sure if they ship to South Africa or not, but I've had good experiences using MyModafinil(dot)net
+Quote Post
Kfer
post Apr 17, 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 35058

QUOTE(superwillis @ Oct 27, 2009, 02:58 AM) *

Lastly, I can confirm the reports that the metabolism of adrafinil adds a sulfur odor to the urine. Its not bad -- kind of like eating asparagus and peeing. You definitely know you took adrafinil though, haha.

One of the side effects of adrafinil and modafinil (shared with other stimulants such as dextroamphetamine) is a slight to moderate distortion of the sense of smell. Colognes and perfumes have a completely different smell under these drugs, so it's not a good idea to chose a new cologne when you take them, seriously.
+Quote Post
Kfer
post Apr 17, 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(shady @ May 07, 2009, 07:01 PM) *

Is the price difference worth the benefits of modafinil over adrafanil?

The effects of adrafinil last longer because it takes time for the liver to metabolise a dose into modafinil, and the process can be stretched over time if it's a large dose. I purchase adrafinil as a research chemical so it it comes in base powder form and is very potent. First time I used it like that I did not measure the dosage appropriately and took too much. Kept me up for 4 days, would just not stop, heart racing and all. I had to take a potent downer to get some sleep as I was beginning to experience sleep deprivation related psychological effects and those are extremely unpleasant. I do not know of any other drug that can rob one of sleep for such a long time, not even cocaine or meth. I suggest keeping at least a weak but still useful common downer like Valium at hand in case you get stuck wide awake.
+Quote Post
Kfer
post Apr 17, 2013, 10:45 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(shady @ May 07, 2009, 07:01 PM) *

Modafinil is a CNS stimulant, it can only help with fatigue-related cognitive issues such as lack of focus, loss of interest, mild depression, wandering thoughts, low drive, physical inertia, etc. Memory is not much affected by fatigue so while it may help with short-term memory caused by temporary mental sluggishness it won't do much for long-term memory. AFAIK there is no drug or supplement that has instantaneous effect on long-term memory.
+Quote Post
Edward Kwame
post Apr 18, 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 35061

Despite extensive research into the interaction of modafinil with a large number of neurotransmitter systems, its precise mechanism or mechanisms of action remain unclear.[4][5] Modafinil elevates hypothalamic histamine levels,[6] leading some researchers to consider modafinil a "wakefulness promoting agent" rather than a classic amphetamine-like stimulant.[7] Modafinil seems to inhibit the actions of the dopamine transporter, thus leading to an increase in extracellular and thus synaptic concentrations of dopamine.[8]
The locus of the monoamine action of modafinil has also been the target of studies, identifying effects on dopamine in the striatum and nucleus accumbens,[9][10] noradrenaline in the hypothalamus and ventrolateral preoptic nucleus,[11][12] and serotonin in the amygdala and frontal cortex.[13]
+Quote Post
Edward Kwame
post Apr 18, 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 35061

Adrafinil (CRL-40028, Olmifon) is a mild central nervous system stimulant drug used to relieve excessive sleepiness and inattention in elderly patients. It is also used off-label by individuals wishing to avoid fatigue, such as night workers or others who need to stay awake and alert for long periods of time.
Adrafinil is a prodrug; it is primarily metabolized in vivo to modafinil, resulting in nearly identical pharmacological effects. Unlike modafinil, however, it takes time for the metabolite to accumulate to active levels in the bloodstream. Effects usually are apparent within 4560 minutes when taken orally on an empty stomach.
+Quote Post
mh15216
post May 29, 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 35149

QUOTE(St. James @ May 07, 2009, 06:54 PM) *

thanks.

Be careful what you mix together, but I was taking modafinil and aniracetam. The modafinil gave me the focus and wakefullness that I needed to stay focused, and (after about a month) the aniracetam definitely improved my memory. Both in my ability to store and catalog vivid memories (like where I saw the one stroller we haven't used in a year, and I saw the corner of looking through some spare plywood in the garage for a few minutes last week) Apparently Noopept and Alpha GPC is a MEGA stack for memory and cognitive function. But I have no idea of the toxicity of that stack combined with modafinil.
+Quote Post
smartdrugsmexico
post Nov 25, 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 36386

QUOTE(Almighty @ Jan 02, 2013, 06:33 AM) *

Hi all

you can get it from Mexico, the real thing, brand name, e mail this guy to his gmail mail: smartdrugsmexico
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 03:32 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog