BrainMeta'                 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trouble recalling words and names from memory.
still
post Mar 23, 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 26668

I'm 25, male, and currently just on 2 g vitamin C, 1 g fish oil, and chondroiton.

I've noticed that I have trouble recalling words, for example if I am writing a sentence and I know there is a certain meaning I want to convey, I have trouble picking the right word to fill the slot. Other times I will try to recall the name of an album or book that I enjoyed very much but can not think of it.

I also have enormous difficulty putting together lists from memory. I love music and reading, but whenever someone asks me what artists or authors I like, for the life of me I cannot think of more than a couple things to name. It's ridiculous - it might not even be my favorite, its just the only thing I can bring into consciousness. It isn't because of the pressure of the moment either, I have trouble putting together lists like this by myself. The weird thing is that I can generally learn large sets of names or foreign language vocabulary in a short time, or even repeat a list back later. It seems its just choosing items out of very large data sets that boggles my mind.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. Anyway, are there any supplements or brain training techniques that would be particularly advantageous to my predicament?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
catseye
post Mar 23, 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #2

Awakening

Member No.: 31959

From the healthynewage website:

General Memory Loss Information

Memory loss, such as misplacing the keys or forgetting something when grocery shopping, is a natural part of life and occurs in most individuals at almost any age.

If you are seeking a memory improvement system, or trying to improve your memory skills, with the proper nutrition your memory should stay sharp and active well into the nineties and older, but sometimes memory loss is a symptom of some other problem, such as midlife Depression, Arteriosclerosis and Alzheimer's Disease.

Although many people believe that as people age their memory naturally deteriorates, but this is not necessarily true.

Aging has little to do with memory loss.
Possible Causes of Memory Loss

The brain needs a sufficient supply of the proper nutrients, such as B vitamins and amino acids, to function properly. If the blood contains high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, there is a reduction in the amount of blood and nutrients reaching the brain.

Over time the brain becomes malnourished affecting our ability to remember and process information. Brain function also depends on an adequate supply of neurotransmitters and related nutrients that help their development. When memory goes blank, the body may be calling out for nutrients that will support the neurotransmitters that are similar to the electrical connections in the brain.

Free radicals from overexposure to toxins, such as alcohol and drugs, may also cause blackouts and memory lapses. Allergies, candidiasis, stress, thyroid disorders, hypoglycemia and diabetes may also contribute to memory loss.

The aging process itself plays a small factor in memory loss; instead it is the occurrence of other illnesses and poor nutrition that deteriorates our memory over time. Arteriosclerosis is a debilitating disorder that may reduce brain nutrition and therefore memory. Alzheimer's Disease is a most debilitating condition that affects some older people and starts with some defects in memory and behavior, yet most memory lapses have nothing to do with this disease.
Possible Symptoms of Memory Loss

Symptoms of memory loss include the inability to remember events in the short or long term, memory loss that gets worse over time, confusion, irritation and difficulty completing tasks.
Dietary Supplements for Memory Loss

* Procaine Ultra GH9: A remarkable natural remedy for depression, arthritis, memory loss, low energy, insomnia, sexual enhancement, poor hearing and eyesight, graying hair, varicose veins and heart disease - without side effects so common with drugs.
* Phosphatidyl Serine Supplement (PS) by Nature's Way: PS complex aids brain cell function and reduces age-related mental decline. With age normal brain and nerve cell activity may decline due to diminished neurotransmitter and brain cell function. PS can provide relatively quick benefits especially to mature adults who are experiencing age related mental decline and may be effective for the early onset of alzheimer's, dementia, memory loss, and cognitive function.

Possible Lifestyle Changes for Memory Loss

Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water. Get plenty of rest and exercise regularly. Do not smoke or use tobacco products. Socialize regularly and learn new things. Limit alcohol intake and drug use. Reduce stress and learn to manage stressful situations when they arise. If memory problems become an issue, establish a routine, focus on tasks, reduce stress and review all medications with a physician.

In accordance with FDA regulation, we do not make any therapeutic claims for any Dietary Supplements in accordance with the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act.
Beneficial Dietary Supplements

Multivitamin and Mineral Complex removes free radicals and provides all necessary nutrients.

Acetylcholine helps prevent memory loss in adults.

DMAE helps with learning and retention. Do not use on a daily basis.

Boron improves brain and memory function.

Garlic is a brain cell protector that may benefit age-related memory loss.

Lecithin improves memory.

Ginkgo increases blood flow to the brain, thus enhancing memory.

Vitamin B Complex needed for proper brain function.

Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids improves circulation.

Zinc plus Copper helps remove toxins from the brain and body. Copper is needed to work with zinc in very small doses. L-Tyrosine helps improve learning, memory and awareness and has mood enhancing affects. Not to be taken with other MAO inhibitors.

References: Prescription for Nutritional Healing

- You may also want to get your thyroid checked as this can effect memory loss as well.
+Quote Post
Phi
post Mar 24, 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #3

God

Member No.: 25755

Memeron!
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Mar 25, 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(still @ Mar 24, 2009, 03:06 AM) *

I'm 25, male, and currently just on 2 g vitamin C, 1 g fish oil, and chondroiton.

I've noticed that I have trouble recalling words, for example if I am writing a sentence and I know there is a certain meaning I want to convey, I have trouble picking the right word to fill the slot. Other times I will try to recall the name of an album or book that I enjoyed very much but can not think of it.

I also have enormous difficulty putting together lists from memory. I love music and reading, but whenever someone asks me what artists or authors I like, for the life of me I cannot think of more than a couple things to name. It's ridiculous - it might not even be my favorite, its just the only thing I can bring into consciousness. It isn't because of the pressure of the moment either, I have trouble putting together lists like this by myself. The weird thing is that I can generally learn large sets of names or foreign language vocabulary in a short time, or even repeat a list back later. It seems its just choosing items out of very large data sets that boggles my mind.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. Anyway, are there any supplements or brain training techniques that would be particularly advantageous to my predicament?
Some things take effort to memorize and don't just go into long term memory immediately and without expending calories! Your examples of music and reading (fiction, nonfiction, factual?) for many people are relaxation activities and as such they do not attempt to 'force' any facts or figures into long term memory. Thus, a short time after listening to music or reading, the 'detail' disappears. Repetition of the listening or reading could help to establish the memories, but like most people, unless there is a particular need to retain the memory (as, for eg, in studying for an exam) then they move on to the next song or book and only fragments of the former remain.

So, I suppose what I am saying, is that you need to put effort into memorizing the stuff you want to recall, a little like I imagine you do when memorizing foreign language vocabulary. And that means repetition, repetition, repetition! Give it a try - focus on the important stuff and reread, or relisten. Good luck with it. Oh, and a varied diet, exercise, enough sleep and a relaxed approach to life (avoid stress where you can) can't do any harm. Don't go mad on the supplements above; I don't think Einstein took many of those wink.gif.
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post Apr 02, 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #5

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 4349

QUOTE(still @ Mar 23, 2009, 10:06 PM) *

I would suggest raising your ACh levels with L-Huperzine A for a month or so to assess if it's effective for you expressed goals. How well can you visualize words? Mind mapping software may be of additional benefit or simply spending more time writing down your interests in detail.
+Quote Post
njwoods
post Apr 03, 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 32015

hello all,
I agree that we can find some great natural supplements to enhance brain function, but exercise is still a key factor as well and water intake. Rather than a radical change in diet or supplement regime, just try the Gingko Biloba first. It gives more oxygen to the brain and that is what the brain uses to fire those neurons for us.

The only caution is for people on blood thinning medication, as it will thin the blood a bit too. But it sounds like you are far too young to worry about that.

+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post Apr 13, 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 4349

QUOTE(njwoods @ Apr 03, 2009, 12:26 PM) *
hello all,
I agree that we can find some great natural supplements to enhance brain function, but exercise is still a key factor as well and water intake. Rather than a radical change in diet or supplement regime, just try the Gingko Biloba first. It gives more oxygen to the brain and that is what the brain uses to fire those neurons for us.

The only caution is for people on blood thinning medication, as it will thin the blood a bit too. But it sounds like you are far too young to worry about that.

While Ginkgo can may a positive impact on cerebral blood flow it does not make a strong impact on ACh or memory unless a lack of blood flow is causing the problem.

It could be a case of Dysnomia.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 05:44 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog