Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Neurological Brain Change
BrainChange
post Sep 22, 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 30133

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am wondering if someone can give me a sense of a problem that his been bothering me for over four years.

About seven years ago, I took a medication called metaclopramide. This medicine was used for gastrointestinal problems, but later on I found out that it is actually an anti-psychotic. This medicine caused me to fall into a major depression, made my central brain literally feel numb, and also made me ridiculously anxiety driven to the point that my right arm would shake sometimes. After a month or so, I took myself off this medication as a result of the side effects. However, even though I stopped taking this medication, I felt like it had caused some neurological changes in my system.

About three years after the fact, I started to lay on my bed with my head over the edge, in effect causing the blood flow to my brain to increase. Slowly, after doing this for several days, I felt some of my anxiety symptoms that I experienced with metoclopramide to come back, mostly in situations which would cause me anxiety, like public speaking. So, one day, prior to giving a public lecture, waiting for my turn, I got extremely nervous, uncontrollably nervous such that I started shaking. I think I was suffering from a panic attack. But, I couldn't stop myself. All of a sudden, after shaking for a while, I felt what could best be explained as a neurological explosion occur in my head that caused like feeling to shoot to the left side of my head from the center and to my abdominal area. From that day on I have suffered from tense headaches, that are either tension based, and I can feel it in the particular areas of the head, neck, abdomen, or neurological based, that cause like burning feelings in my head sometimes.

Regrettably, I think this is a result of the metoclopramide causing some changes in my brain due to affecting acetylcholine levels in some manner or dysregulating the HPA axis. Sometimes when I take benadryl, it seems to help the tension and reduce the symptoms, but I am looking for some solution to get my brain back in balance so to speak because this has really messed up my life, especially in stress related situations. It's as if my stress system is messed up now. I've been to a few doctors, and they don't really know what to prescribe, or they don't really believe my story, or whatever. I don't care. Does anyone know of what I can do in such a situation?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Orbz
post Sep 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #2

Overlord

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 6770

Stress, depression and anxiety are usually treated by anti-depressants. Have any of your doctors suggested this? If not why not?

You need to be careful with chronic stress, stress sensitises, i.e., the more stress and anxiety you experience, the more likely you are to get it again. There is also good neurobioligical support for a stress sensitised nervous system, which is why anti-depressants may work for you or some kind of regular stress relieving practice (meditation, yoga, more time at the beach). Do you sleep well? Chronic stress can also infiltrate pain systems.

You may also have to retrain yourself for anxiety producing situations.

As to how metoclopramide contributed I imagine the depression directly induced by the drug caused perhaps by the dopamine antagonism, combined with perhaps a number of somatic sensations induced by the drug, led to the anxiety responses. I don't know about your neurological explosion. Have you ruled out migraines?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 06:44 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles