Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I would like to coin a new expresion, For the Record: Internet Drafting
rjg
post Aug 20, 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 27829

but I'm not sure if its already been used.

The expression is Internet Drafting. I searched for it in Google but did not find my usage.

Internet Drafting: The act of using the public Wireless Internet facilities located a moving vehicle (say a Greyhound bus equipped with public wifi) from another vehicle following the networked vehicle closely to stay within signal range. Similar to Race Car Drafting.

We did this today while taking my daughter to college and I thought there had to be an expression for this relatively new phenomenon.

Your thoughts and observations are welcome. Be gentle though I am new to the site.

...Ray

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Aug 21, 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #2

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

QUOTE(rjg @ Aug 20, 2008, 07:59 PM) *

but I'm not sure if its already been used.

The expression is Internet Drafting. I searched for it in Google but did not find my usage.

Internet Drafting: The act of using the public Wireless Internet facilities located a moving vehicle (say a Greyhound bus equipped with public wifi) from another vehicle following the networked vehicle closely to stay within signal range. Similar to Race Car Drafting.

We did this today while taking my daughter to college and I thought there had to be an expression for this relatively new phenomenon.

Your thoughts and observations are welcome. Be gentle though I am new to the site.

...Ray

shouldn't you inclule in the name something aluding to the fact that you are using a high speed vehicle ( 2 in this case) during this activity?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joesus
post Aug 21, 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #3

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

It wouldn't matter. In this case a Greyhound bus is the broadcast point and it could be on a city street or a highway. The term drafting as it applies to racing is also something that can be applied to on a highway and not in a race. There is a vortex created behind trailer trucks that can be used when driving behind if you get close enough, by staying within the vortex you can draw off of the energy being created by the vehicle in front of you. Geese use this drafting principle when flying in formation expending less energy by using energy created by the one in front. Geese alternate leaders so that no one has to expend all of their energy all of the time.
Basically the idea is to stay within range of a broadcast base that is mobile regardless of its speed.
There is another scenario which I've also used such as parking next to an internet cafe or a wifi broadcaster that doesn't have any security lock on their broadcast base.
I've logged onto the internet using the signal available from a neighbors wireless router as long as it wasn't password protected.

The idea here is giving a name to using a free signal while mobile with a mobile signal. Different than being mobile and using a wireless card that takes signal from stationary broadcast towers.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 06:45 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles