BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music and culture change., But which came first, the new poem or the new person?
boots
post Jul 08, 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #1

Awakening

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 24437

http://www.realitysandwich.com/is_that_a_r..._it_up_yourself

"Any musical innovation is full of danger to the whole State, and ought to be prohibited. So Damon tells me, and I can quite believe him; he says that when modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the State always change with them."-- Plato, Republic IV.

The idea that music can transform reality predates by many millennia the category "music" as we know it. Before art was understood as a phenomenon in itself apart from its ritual application (a relatively recent and culturally specific development), what we now call music was indistinguishable from magic. There is a wonderful, intoxicating romance that runs from Pythagorean harmonics through Platonic musical ethos to Boethius's codification of Greek tunings, then into the Renaissance cosmologies that prefigured modern astrophysics, on the idea that a change of music is a change of consciousness, culture, and even physical reality.

Does music have an influence on culture change? Or does music merely reflect culture change? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I'm not really sure...I think it could be either.
Yet, the media does play an extremely significant role in shaping culture today. Mainstream music is broadcasted through the media to the public masses. Popular music is mass distributed and has a tremendous effect on society, especially on adolescents and young adults.

I do see a parallel between popular music (the music heard on the radio or on television) and the culture we live in. I won't go into the details about how they are similar, but I am sure that you can make the connection.

Mainstream music either helps to mold a changing society, or subliminally reinforces social norms.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave Tong
post Mar 12, 2015, 04:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 37594

Music plays very important role in the culture of any country and it has deep impact on the society. The latest music has changed and has brought some innovation but people like me are interested in old and trendy music that has real impact on society.
+Quote Post
Nicholas
post May 28, 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 40091

I really love music, different worlds and times.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 04:52 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am