Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Psychology
Silverkatie
post Jan 24, 2003, 05:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 429

I must admit, I wish I was a year or two older.
Why?
Because then I could be taking AP Psychology, one of the only cool courses my high school offers (besides, of course, AP Art History and Russian Studies, both of which are Seniors only courses).  I hope to sneak under the bar for at least one of the three, and take it as a junior (next year) but for now I have to be satisfied learning all I can on my own...
So just because I don't respond doesn't mean I don't enjoy this particular board!  I am about as clueless as you can be when it comes to psychology (well, almost), but I will avidly be soaking up information quietly here, trying to remain quiet and avoid seeming inetp by asking stupid questions.
So!  Dara and Shawn and anyone else who likes psychology!  Please post here, I will be watching, whether you know it or not.  :)

Love always,
SK
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Jan 25, 2003, 02:29 AM
Post #2

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

hello Katie,

It's very nice to see you here, and I'm glad to see your post and interest over Psychology.  In fact, I'm seriously contemplating creating a separate board for it, but then the question arises, should I just have separate boards for 'Neurosci', 'Consciousness', and 'Psych'?  I'm leaning towards this, and will probably do it sometime this weekend.

I will be posting over psychology surely in the near future, and will be on the look-out for your posts, which I'm eager to read.

take care,

Shawn
+Quote Post
Dara
post Jan 25, 2003, 09:34 AM
Post #3

God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 99

Here is a disorder I know about...and this is one that I am not afflicted by! WOO HOO!

Narsicistic Personality Disorder: Basically this disorder is one where the person feels the world exists solely for his pleasure. Sorry I wrote "his", but I actually am referring to someone I know who has this. Please don't take it personaly guys! SO, With NPD, the person is not aware of others feelings, thinks EVERYTHING is about him, only cares if his needs are met. Well, according to him, nobody else has needs. WIll often lie to make himself sound much more important than he is., very argumentative and ALWAYS thinks he is right.
Self centered to the maximum degree! I actually know SEVERAL people who have this,and itis TERRIBLE!!!
My father was one of them. You can only imagine how much fun it was growing up with someone like him! Then I marry my husband, who is NOTHING LIKE MY FATHER, but his mother has this samd disorder...Oh, it drives me crazy! I also have a sister who cought the nasty NPD form my father! I am SURROUNDED... tongue.gif
Love, Dara
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Jan 25, 2003, 10:23 AM
Post #4

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

hi Dara and Katie,

here's an interesting personality disorder:  Dissociative Fugue, which is characterized by sudden, unexpected travel away from home or one's customary place of daily activities, with inability to recall some or all of one's past and is accompanied by confusion about personal identity or even the assumption of a new identity, partial or complete.   That's kinda scary!

Ok, I see the need to post info on this site about personality disorders. I'll try to do this this weekend.

kindest regards,

Shawn
+Quote Post
Silverkatie
post Jan 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 429

Yeah I've actually read a bit about the Narcissistic disorder... Isn't it in the Dramatic Cluster of disorders?  With Anisocial and Histrionic I believe... It sounds awful.  I've never met anyone diagnosed with it, but a few people around me certainly display symptoms...

And yikes Shawn!  I'd hate to have that disorder!  Imagine traveling all over, not remember who you are... must be hard to settle down and have a family that way...

Thanks for the welcome guys, I really appreciate it and I'm so glad to be here.

Love always,
SK
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Apr 20, 2003, 09:25 AM
Post #6

Supreme God

Member No.: 385

I'm interested to see within this posting several 'conditions' I've never heard of before.
Does there exist a list of 'complaints' by name and the area(s) of the brain which are thought to be causal centres?
It seems that we are able to learn more about our brain and its functions from the dysfunctions which are identified than any other source of data!

Best regards, Bill.
+Quote Post
Piratjenny
post May 02, 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #7

Awakening

Member No.: 360

I always found it thrilling/confusing that all this disorders are diagnosed and treated within a certain cultural frame.  Like, when I lived in the States I was diagnosed with "chronical fatique syndrome". Great, I thought, this explains a few things and gives the baby a name. Nevertheless, in Belgium and Switzerland doctors heard about it but do not see it as a physical disease. Then again, what is called in the US "mulitple personality disorder" is often treated in Europe as psychosis. Dissociative Fugue would be seen in Nepal or Senegal as demonic possesion or result of a curse. And might be treated successfully...  At Freud´s time "hysteria" had an entirely different meaning than it has now.

Bill, in current popular psychology most of these diseases are not seen as a dysfunction of certain parts of the brain but more as a result of childhood abuse and destructive family patterns. This is not cast in stone and might be wrong of course, and future research could prove something entirely different. Lack of vitamins, braindamage, use of pesticides, genetic influences, who know...
PJ

+Quote Post
rhymer
post May 03, 2003, 06:28 AM
Post #8

Supreme God

Member No.: 385

Hi PiratJenny,

I know that what you say is correct, but my point is that each occurence of a 'complaint' is caused by unnatural (abnormal or unusual) behaviour or speech or performance or feelings.
It seems to me that in each case, the brain is the affected organ whether the 'damage' has been caused by genes, chemicals, food, environment, etc., or (maybe)  mixed combinations of them.

Best regards, Bill
+Quote Post
Piratjenny
post May 03, 2003, 07:54 AM
Post #9

Awakening

Member No.: 360

Hello Bill - I hope I understand you right, I am not a native speaker. Please feel free to correct me if I miss the point.

Are you trying to say that our 21th- century"neurotic" wacky behaviour like trouble in relating, loss of self-confidence, panick disorders and such can be traced back to neurological malfunctions?

From what I have learned certain compulsive behaviour like, let´s say, shoplifting and eating disorders can be caused by wanting to release psychological tension. It can also be caused by a tumor or cyst in the frontal lobes. There is also a much disputed case of a pederast who claims that his behaviour was caused by a tumor. Supposingly the problem was gone once the tumor was successfully removed. Very extreme childhood abuse can create brain damage that seems to be visible in CATs and MRIs.  But as a general approach I dont like the idea so much, simply because it is reducing our possibilities as humans. We can learn, have progress, understand and chance.
PJ
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 08:26 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog