BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Neurochemisty of "tiredness", What are the mechanisms of fatigue and tiredness?
maxwell
post Jan 25, 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 17115

I'm wondering what exactly the neuro-chemical basis for "tiredness" is. Not tiredness in a subjective, feeling type of way, but an actually physical event or state (like low glucose) that will cause a person to be have mentally low energy. not "sleepiness", but rather mentally tired. Also interested in why this seems to happen after food consumption... what postprandial mechanism is going on? Any thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucid_dream
post Jan 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #2

God

Group: Admin
Member No.: 956

after food consumption, blood is diverted to the digestive system, leaving less for the nervous system. Hence, postprandial sleepiness.
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jan 26, 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #3

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

I welcome the emergence of anorexic Politicians!!
+Quote Post
madaloc
post Apr 15, 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20716

You should always remember that nerve fibers and neural cells are tireless, even they don't know what the fatigue is! Synaptic junctions are fatiguable as a result of shotage of neurotransmitter in the cleft. When evening's coming up, our synapses work worse than they do after awakening -> glutamate has been expended, therefore the CNS is tired.
+Quote Post
tonyjeffs
post Jul 13, 2008, 03:30 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 25727

Interesting question - I don't think we know at all.
I have always needed 9 hours sleep to be alert. Less than 7 and I couldn't think clearly.
Recently perscribed a steroid for a medical condition, and suddenly I need 5 hours sleep a night max, fully alert, loads of energy, exceedingly fit, full of conversation, itching to greet the day, suddenly very popular due I suppose to my chemically induced positive attitude. No negative psychological side effects. How can a medicine make such a huge difference?

(After a month - the pleasant side-effects subsided somewhat though the medical benefits continued, and I'm back to being Clark Kent rather than Superman. Que sera!)

T

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 06:33 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles