BrainMeta'   Connectomics'  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cook Books are Popular. How come? What about diets?, How much do we really know about the science of foods?
Lindsay
post Dec 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #1

God

Group: Basic Member
From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

RANDOM THOUGHTS ABOUT FOODS, AND THE KIND OF FOODS FOR THOUGHT WE ALL NEED
============================================================
Recently, the media has been giving us more and more information about the nature and function of diet--the list of foods some people live to eat, and need to eat to live. Some of this information, not all, is valuable. How can we be sure what is?

Just today--included in my copy of my morning paper, The Globe and Mail, http://www.globeandmail.com (one of our two national dailies in Canada)--I received the annual copy of BREAKTHROUGHS, a magazine of the Baycrest Foundation http://www.baycrest.org

THE APPROACH OF BAYCREST IS OBVIOUSLY A HOLISTIC ONE
Baycrest is an academic centre, affiliated with the University of Toronto and is dedicated to researching what causes diseases which lead to dementia and what we can do to help keep ourselves healthy, especially as they relate to the nature and function of the brain.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
One of the major articles by, Krystyna Lagowski, is entitled, Food For Thought, is about the foods we should eat to maintain good brain health. One of the scientists at the centre is Dr. Tifany Chow, a neurologist. There is also Dr. Carol Greenwood.

Both researchers agree with what our wise parents said long ago: "Eat a variety of raw fruit and vegetables ... fish is a brain food... go easy on the red meats...don't eat too many sweets; they spoil your hunger for good foods..."

OXIDANTS AND THE GLYCEMIC INDEX
Bear in mind that oxidants--that is, foods with a high glycemic index--can damage the cells.

Here are some of the foods we should use sparingly: sugar-laced (notice the term, 'sugar-laced') ice cream, chocolates, croissants, and other sugar-rich desserts.

WATCH THE FRUCTOSE
Sorry about this, but we even need to be careful with natural foods like bananas, carrots and dried fruits. Too much will result in large increases in blood glucose after they are ingested.
Apparently the brain does not cope well with too much glucose, from whatever source.
=========================================================
I speak from experience when I say that, a long time ago, I was a victim of nicotine--pipe, cigars and chewing. Having studied the problem since the 1960's, I have come to the conclusion that nicotine, in any form, can be the basic cause of blood-insulin-glucose imbalance (BIGI). This biochemical imbalance, physically speaking, can be the root cause of diabetes, obesity, several cardiovascular diseases and cancers.

Mentally speaking, nicotine can also be the root cause of people being manic depressives, or victims of bipolarism. Serious physical and mental health problems, agreed?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

FOR THOSE CONCERNED ABOUT BI POLAR CONDITIONS

Bipolar disorder is not a single disorder, but a category of mood disorders defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated mood, clinically referred to as mania. Individuals who experience manic episodes also commonly experience depressive episodes or symptoms, or mixed episodes which present with features of both mania and depression. These episodes are normally separated by periods of normal mood, but in some patients, depression and mania may rapidly alternate, known as rapid cycling. The disorder has been subdivided into bipolar I, bipolar II and cyclothymia based on the type and severity of mood episodes experienced.

=============
MANAGING HYPOGLYCEMIA
I lprefer to call it 'yoyoglycemia'--extremes of low and high. That is below 4.2 and above 7.2
THE EMPHASIS NEEDS TO BE ON BALANCE AND ON MODERATION
=======================
Avoid the excessive use of Caffeine
Caffeine often improves the symptoms of hypoglycemia, at least temporarily, so it can be tough to remove it from your diet. If you are a caffeine addict, and just can’t get through your day without it, it is likely that a sugar stabilization diet will help you reduce your caffeine cravings.

Caffeine stimulates release of stored sugar into your blood stream, so you will feel better for a while, but your blood sugar will drop abruptly again once the effect of the caffeine wears off. As my nutritionist, Dr. Todd Norton, once described it, "In asking the glucose-bearing cells to release sugar, insulin knocks at the door. Caffeine, on the other hand, simply kicks the door down!" Another reason that you get a boost from caffeine is that it stimulates the adrenal gland. This makes your heart beat faster and raises your blood sugar. Excess caffeine also puts stress on your kidneys, and flushes minerals like selenium, manganese, zinc, calcium and magnesium from your body.

My first response was, "So what—I really feel better. I neeeeed it!" Caffeine, like sugar, causes a roller coaster of sugar highs and lows. I know that after I drink caffeinated drinks, I find that I am constantly hungry the next day or two and it takes me a couple of days of proper eating to get back on track. As you learn to regulate your blood sugar by changing your diet, even your cravings for caffeine will subside.

Quit Smoking
I know, I know – now I've really gone overboard! We have been hearing for years that nicotine will kill you and we have all lost people important to us. What you, as a hypoglycemic, need to know is that nicotine also has an effect on blood sugar. Nicotine, like caffeine, activates the adrenal gland. Your heart speeds up and your blood pressure rises and you get that much-needed boost. Although butting out may be much more difficult than eliminating caffeine, you will find that as you change your diet and begin to feel better, your cravings for nicotine may also slowly begin to subside. Quitting still may not be easy; after all, cigarettes become a habit based on more than the nicotine addiction. As your blood sugar begins to stabilize, you will find that it will be easier to taper down and smoke fewer cigarettes per day. For details, check out:
http://www.anitaflegg.com/Oct252002.htm
More helpful stuff: http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:0RDOYd...clnk&cd=2&gl=ca

====================
Check out HOMEOSTASIS. That is, the art of balancing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeostasis
The word was coined by Dr. Walter B. Cannon (Harvard Medical School, 1906-1942)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_B._Cannon

IMO, IT IS ALL ABOUT BALANCE
==========================
It seems to me that diet is a very personal thing and must be tailored to suiit the needs of the individual and based on the principle of homeostasis--balancing the needs of YOUR body. One size does not always fit all. Some people can enjoy a long and happy life and eat and drink things that will kill another.

THE PNEUMA FACTOR
We are what I call pneumatological beings--individual and personal human spirits, or souls.

Yes, I suspect that eating nothing but starchy foods can do some people a lot of harm. But normally we need some starchy foods. The same is true for salt, sugar, proteins, fats, etc. Just recently, I heard a report over the CBC (Canadian public radio) that there is strong evidence that too much emphasis on keeping clean can be dangerous to our health. It just make the viruses, germs and bacteria stronger.

=================
BTW, in all this discussion: Don't overlook hypnosis; it can be of great value.

Help yourself with hypnosis. Here is a barter-based offer: If you are intrerested, PM me. If you will agree--I trust your word--to help others, I will, wthout any cash cost, gladly show you how to do it, to yourself.

I am sure that Max, and others, who know the 'trick' of hypnosis, are also willing to be of help. BTW, to get away from the hocus pocus, usually associated with hypnosis, I call it pneumatism, or pneumatherpy--putting the human spirit in control.

BTW 2, productive, honest and healthy economic activity is a good way to promote over-all health.

People can help one another using tradeBUX--without having to fork out cash
www.universalbartergroup.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 06:07 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles