Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nootropics and novocaine insensitivity
ThreeRocks
post Oct 31, 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 14003

I went to the dentist yesterday to have a crown put on. He had to give me literally 10 novocaine injections around the tooth and gum before I was sufficiently numb. I've had minor novocaine insensitivity before, but nothing this bad. The only difference this time is that I've been taking a stack of noots. Has anyone had similar experiences since taking noots?

I'm at work now, so this list is from memory (roughly by functional groups). I've been doing this for about 6 weeks now:

The only things I took just before the dentist:

150 mg Caffeine
20 g Whey protein

What I usually have (and had the day before in my usual stack):

2.5 mg Deprenyl
2g Tyrosine
1g Chocamine
1g vit C
100 mg vit B6

1800 mg Piracetam
500 mg Choline Citrate
1 T Soy Lecithin
500 mg B5

180 mg Idebenone
1200 mg ALCar
300 mg ALA

1 tsp high-DHA fish oil
400 IU vit E
200 IU vit D
multi-vit/mineral

Night before I took:
300 mg Avena Sativa
0.5 mg Melatonin

Some others I take occasionally, I skipped for a few days prior to the dentist:
Sulbutiamine
Phenibut
Tryptophan

Most of these have a short duration in the body, except for Deprenyl. He said that it should have no effect on novocaine.
Anyone have any ideas? Maybe just a coincidence and my weird physiology...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LifeMirage
post Oct 31, 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Demi-God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 4349

QUOTE(ThreeRocks @ Oct 31, 2007, 06:03 PM) *
I went to the dentist yesterday to have a crown put on. He had to give me literally 10 novocaine injections around the tooth and gum before I was sufficiently numb. I've had minor novocaine insensitivity before, but nothing this bad. The only difference this time is that I've been taking a stack of noots. Has anyone had similar experiences since taking noots?

I'm at work now, so this list is from memory (roughly by functional groups). I've been doing this for about 6 weeks now:

The only things I took just before the dentist:

150 mg Caffeine
20 g Whey protein

What I usually have (and had the day before in my usual stack):

2.5 mg Deprenyl
2g Tyrosine
1g Chocamine
1g vit C
100 mg vit B6

1800 mg Piracetam
500 mg Choline Citrate
1 T Soy Lecithin
500 mg B5

180 mg Idebenone
1200 mg ALCar
300 mg ALA

1 tsp high-DHA fish oil
400 IU vit E
200 IU vit D
multi-vit/mineral

Night before I took:
300 mg Avena Sativa
0.5 mg Melatonin

Some others I take occasionally, I skipped for a few days prior to the dentist:
Sulbutiamine
Phenibut
Tryptophan

Most of these have a short duration in the body, except for Deprenyl. He said that it should have no effect on novocaine.
Anyone have any ideas? Maybe just a coincidence and my weird physiology...

Pyritinol counteracts drugs like novocaine. You may want to avoid some nootropics prior to surgery or dental work.
+Quote Post
Molitor
post Nov 27, 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 14633

Plain vanilla Novocaine (procaine) isn't used as much in dentistry anymore. It's possible you were given something entirely different, like Xylocaine (lidocaine) or Carbocaine (mepivacaine). Although everyone (except hopefully medical personnel) calls these things "Novacaine" out of habit and fond, childhood memories.

Different formulations of these local anesthetics have vasoconstrictors like epinephrine. An anesthetic with a vasoconstrictor will last much longer than one that doesn't, as the vasoconstriction helps to keep it from circulating away from where you want it.

If you were given an anesthetic without vasoconstrictors, you'd need more of it, and it may need to be reinjected during the procedure.

The dentist generally doesn't inject directly into the nerve, just nearby, and the anesthetic has to diffuse out through the area, sometimes through actual bone. It's much more likely that your perceived insensitivity to Novocaine is due to your dentist's aim, the type of anesthetic used, and the specific anatomy of your mouth than to any chemically-induced Novocaine immunity.

Don't forget, some things might make you more anxious and/or increase your (perception of) pain (threshold). Cutting out Phenibut and Tryptophan and taking a dose of caffeine prior to a dental appointment isn't how I'd prepare.
+Quote Post
Flex
post Nov 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #4

God

Member No.: 5877

I thought most dentists used articaine (Septocaine) with epinephrine now-a-days?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog