Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux rocks!
electric
post Aug 30, 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 12368

Hi folks!
Wanted to ask how many of you are already using the Linux operating system.
I myself am into Debian, which is the oldest, largest and most professional distribution. You can choose among over 18.000 free programs there, among them specialized scientific programs, games, professional sound processing, programming tools, server software, and so on. Of course it also comes with a desktop with the most needed applications, like office suite, videoplayer, image editor, a tool to download and install software, and so on. It's easy to get it running, on nearly each and every computer, even for beginners. Check this:

http://www.us.debian.org/

The best thing about Linux of course is that it's free. You'd pay thousands of dollars for all the software if you'd purchase it. And it comes with an absolutely wonderful philosophy of social cooperation you'll find in the GNU public license treaty.

The next best thing is that it's transparent. You can find out how your computer works and how the software is organized. Also it's highly configurable, and if you're a programmer you can change almost anything imaginable.

Quite a few things you can't, and never will can, say about Windoze.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sam101
post Apr 13, 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20711

I kinda like Ubuntu nowadays.. feels like windows. hahah
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Apr 13, 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #3

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

QUOTE(electric @ Aug 30, 2007, 10:14 AM) *

Hi folks!
Wanted to ask how many of you are already using the Linux operating system.
I myself am into Debian, ... Check this:

http://www.us.debian.org/
... Quite a few things you can't, and never will can, say about Windoze.
Yes, I have been using Linux since 2005. GOD guided me to it biggrin.gif
=========================================================
+Quote Post
Art Deco
post Apr 15, 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20829

Hello -

I am new to Linux, but with decades of Windows experience - I programmed Windows software before the 3.1/MS Dos release (that most folks think of as the original Windows) even came out. I bought a new PC several months ago that came pre installed with Vista. Hated it and set up a dual boot with Ubuntu almost immediately.

After a month or so, I rarely booted Windows anymore. There is just a lot less crap in my way when I need to get work done on Ubuntu than on Vista, and I love Synaptic for locating tested, functional software when I need an application that isn't included in the basic distro.

I think Microsoft is actually driving many experienced users towards Linux by pushing such a bloated and inconvenient operating system. The same thing happened with Windows ME with the low end users, because of repeated crashes and swiss cheese style security holes. With Vista it's just lousy performance and UI quirks, but there is still a measurable jump in Linux newbies on the net.

Art Deco smile.gif
+Quote Post
XR500Final
post May 17, 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #5

Aspiring

Member No.: 21903

I run a production server for my conspiracy research and have had LOTS of hack attempts daily. I run Fedora Core 6.

If your interested google anomalicresearch

+Quote Post
Tone
post May 22, 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #6

Overlord

Member No.: 4916

Ubuntu 8.04 is going on the new computer once i order and receive the new computer. I will put the hard drive from the current computer in the new computer, but hope to never have to boot from it (windows xp). there may be reasons i have to, if i want to use certain programs are no way going to be able to be emulated, therefore no choice. so the old hard drive placed in the new computer can be a second boot.
+Quote Post
DRZion
post Sep 01, 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 25795

I am thinking of getting an Acer One Aspire laptop (the 300$ one) for browsing the web and taking notes in class. It runs on Linux Linpus Lite. Anyone have any experience with this OS?
Is there any way to port games from Windows to Linux? I would love to play starcraft on this 640x480 display. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
lokum
post Sep 01, 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #8

Aspiring

Member No.: 27234

QUOTE(Tone @ May 22, 2008, 12:05 PM) *

Ubuntu 8.04 is going on the new computer once i order and receive the new computer. I will put the hard drive from the current computer in the new computer, but hope to never have to boot from it (windows xp). there may be reasons i have to, if i want to use certain programs are no way going to be able to be emulated, therefore no choice. so the old hard drive placed in the new computer can be a second boot.

Gutsy seemed more stable than Hardy when I first upgraded, but that may just be issues with my laptop. I have fc 4 on my basement computer, but I rarely use it because I think the /bin directory is missing a lot of stuff. Lots of commands return bash: command not found... I'll change it soon to another distro.

What programs are you using that require you to use xp?

Also, have you seen the computers from http://www.rcubedtech.com/?q=node/3 ?

QUOTE(DRZion @ Sep 01, 2008, 07:00 PM) *

I am thinking of getting an Acer One Aspire laptop (the 300$ one) for browsing the web and taking notes in class. It runs on Linux Linpus Lite. Anyone have any experience with this OS?
Is there any way to port games from Windows to Linux? I would love to play starcraft on this 640x480 display. biggrin.gif

You could use wine, but it's always been buggy with me and very..uh..hm..."chunky".

Here's a list of emulators for various things:
http://www.linuxbasis.com/downemu.html
+Quote Post
AndresDawson
post Feb 06, 2016, 01:35 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 38075

Great thought from experienced one.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 05:12 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles