Hey Hey
post Jul 20, 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #1

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 845

July 19, 2007

LSD assisted psychotherapy study to start in Switzerland:

The Royal Society of Chemistry reports that a research project investigating the potential benefits of LSD assisted psychotherapy for people with terminal illnesses has been given the go-ahead by the Swiss authorities.

The Multidisciplanary Association for Psychedelic Studies, part funders of the study, have more about it on their website, including copies of the ethics application and research plan.

MAPS have done huge amounts to make the study of psychedelic drugs both scientifically respectable and acceptable to the regulatory authorities, many of whom are still twitchy from when scientific research into the area was effectively outlawed following the 1960s.

The study is an early exploration, more of a pilot study really, but is being conducted in accordance with the strict standards for clinical trials.

According to the study protocol [pdf], the plan is:

We will conduct this randomized, active-placebo controlled investigation in order to redevelop a treatment method of LSD-assisted therapy for people confronting anxiety relating to advanced-stage illnesses and to gather preliminary evidence on the safety and efficacy of this treatment in this population using current scientific standards.
Eight of twelve participants will be assigned to the experimental intervention dose condition (called verum ("true") dose, 200 µg LSD), and four of twelve will be assigned to the low dose condition (called active placebo dose, 20 µg LSD). Participants enrolled in the study will receive two sessions of LSD-assisted psychotherapy separated by a two to four week interval.

These experimental sessions will be embedded within a course of six to eight individual non-drug psychotherapy sessions that will first prepare participants for LSD assisted therapy and then help participants integrate material from the LSD-assisted sessions.

An independent rater will assess anxiety levels, quality of life, and pain throughout the study and until two months after the second experimental session. The use of anxiety and pain medications will be assessed throughout the duration of the study via diaries kept by participants.

The study is similar in design to an already approved study looking at psilocybin assisted psychotherapy for anxiety in cancer patients, and will be the first LSD psychotherapy study for 35 years.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/200...ly/16070702.asp
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
code buttons
post Jul 21, 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Supreme God

Member No.: 4556

Just when I thought there was no cure in the horizon for my job-related stress anxiety, which qualifies as chronic; given the years I've been putting up with it! Mars, Saturn, Andromeda: Brace yourself for this intergalactic traveler! SSSSSSSSSSSOMEBODY SSSSSSSSSSSSSTOP ME!!!
+Quote Post
khenwood
post Jul 23, 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11800

I find it interesting that they are doing this study on people with terminal illnesses, rather that non-terminal. For non-terminal, no one in their right mind would/should consent to treatment with low doses of LSD. Psilocybin therapy I can understand.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jul 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #4

Supreme God

Member No.: 845

QUOTE(khenwood @ Jul 23, 2007, 05:11 PM) *

I find it interesting that they are doing this study on people with terminal illnesses, rather that non-terminal. For non-terminal, no one in their right mind would/should consent to treatment with low doses of LSD. Psilocybin therapy I can understand.
Come on now, it is in Switzerland!
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jul 23, 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #5

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

QUOTE(khenwood @ Jul 23, 2007, 09:11 AM) *

In proportionate doses, psilocybin and LSD have comparable effects. Are you referring to the active placebo dose of 20 micrograms? That's below the threshold dose of 50 micrograms, so most who take the placebo will experience no effect at all. The threshold dose is defined as the dose at which one half of the subjects report some effect.
+Quote Post
CookieWiz
post Jan 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 33905

Sorry for the bump but just wanted to clarify what Rick posted about doses.

I'm aware that these days, dosage is at 25 micrograms so I guess 20 is indeed a placebo dose. But what do you mean by 50 being the threshold? According to this page on lsd dosage, dosage was at 50 a decade ago and it was at 100 (!) 20 years ago.
+Quote Post
CookieWiz
post Jan 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 33905

Sorry for the bump but just wanted to clarify what Rick posted about doses.

I'm aware that these days, dosage is at 25 micrograms so I guess 20 is indeed a placebo dose. But what do you mean by 50 being the threshold? According to this page on lsd dosage, dosage was at 50 a decade ago and it was at 100 (!) 20 years ago.
+Quote Post
GeorgeLoo
post Sep 29, 2017, 01:46 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 39126

I'm certainly shocked by this article! I do not know how drugs can be useful in treating
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 05:33 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

Consciousness Expansion · Brain Mapping · Neural Circuits · Connectomics  ·  Neuroscience Forum  ·  Brain Maps Blog
 · Connectomics · Connectomics  ·  shawn mikula  ·  shawn mikula  ·  articles